Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by skid2, Feb 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

I did look. I even tried google and others I got girls wittering on about being nice to rats.
    I have rats.
    Its really rural in NI, about 100 yards from the Irish sea. Theres a working harbour half a mile up the road.
    Chap arrived to service the boiler opened it and stepped back. There was a rats nest in it. Shit, you bet, little ******* had been making themselves all cosy. Its been cold here.
    I ve seen nothing in the house, believe me I would be freaking out a lot more.
    I rang pest control no doubt they'll have someone out.
    Problem is with poison is I am the minder of the planets most intelligently stupid dog. He is gifted at finding new ways of getting into stuff he shouldn't.
    Im looking at the house insurance when I get in tomorrow. dogs already insured.

(Not mice. Boiler chap, looked suitably impressed as we backed away)
  2. Set your dog among them!
  3. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Its a Lhasa Apso. These are coastal bastard rats
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Sack the Lhasa Apso. Get a terrier. Sit back and enjoy the fun.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Stamp on them, Boot them like footballs. Its really cathartic......... works for me.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Unsurprising, since yours are football-sized.:)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Best boots not advised as the odd one will burst if you boot it hard enough.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Shoot them with a .22 rifle, while eating Jacobs crackers and drinking whisky, one of my earliest memories of my fathers idea of a good start to a weekend.
    • Like Like x 7
  9. Aaah, entrance left "The Verminator"!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ees a hamster, Mr Fawlty!
    • Like Like x 2
  11. The problem with most poison is that the buggers die in all the wrong places causing a bit of a pong. Cymag as a poison use to do the trick but you cannot get it any more. Apparently its dangerous. Live capture cages can be entertaining, especially at the 'wet' disposal phase of the operation. Surprisingly effective too if its a house with limited access routes for them.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Shooting them isn't very sporting is it? Chase them down on foot, all you need are lightning fast reflexes and the agility of an Olympic gymnast.
    It's how I catch two legged rats too.
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Hours of entertainment as kids when the hay was being shifted. Amazing how many you can get with a stick in one hand and a good pair of boots on your feet.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Ms Skid2 and dog rolling on floor laughing at the thought of me utilising using lightening fast reactions. Me chasing them down on foot would be an internet sensation.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. catch one then pour lighter fuild over it and set it alight the sound of it screeching is supposed to get the ******* running elsewhere(so I've been told by a a rat catcher at the school of filth) Failing that I've a mental Irish terrier with a strong chase instinct and will happily rip them to bits all day long.

The other option is to see if anyone has some working terriers near you