Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rats in compost

Mien katza vill solve ze vermin problem
Schnell . Grrrrrr
DSC_0478-1632x1224.JPG

964ST

Old-Salt
Borrowed a pair of these of my Brother-in-law here in Germanland (not specifically for Rats but obviously you can adapt and modify!! I converted them into perimeter security devices with chest high fishing line to protect my open garden from unwanted intruders (obviously when my missus found out (by tripping the thing!) I had to remove them :( )).

I have seen these and thought about getting one as they seem to work pretty well.............and I like techno stuff.

We DID have rats under the deck. Baited an area and let rip at the little bastards with an air rifle.
I've also baited with poison "Roshield" bought off ebay. Some poison screwed down in place and some loose so they can take it back to the nest.

Not seen a rat for over a week now.

My approach to insects and rodents is to take care of the immediate vicinity around the house and then to move my perimeter further out. That way once the area around the house is cleared I move them even further away by extending the perimeter.

For example: The last place I owned on the other side of Dallas was one house removed from a BFO field. Not a problem until they started to put a road in on the other side of the hedge and upsetting the local population. Because they were being evicted ratty and his mates started venturing into the gardens looking for new homes. I baited and set up traps around the garden, the poison bait I used caused them to dehydrate leading to death - initially a problem because I would regularly find one of ratty's mates floating face down in the swimming pool where they had tried to get a drink.

Once the house area was secured I moved my perimeter out to the hedgeline where they were coming from. I put the dehydrating bait into the hedgeline and that seemed to work keeping them from coming towards the houses by killing them where they were migrating from.............don't mention Calais.

I am going to get one of them, if I knew how to do a “Thumbs-Up” I would.

Write it up on here if you do get hold of one.

As a tip for you: Don't go buying their expensive bait stuff if you don't have to. The local pest control bloke told me to use peanut butter, or chocolate spread to attract rodents to traps.

For the thumbs up on a PC just click on the little thumb icon in the bottom right hand corner of the post.

RMA1

War Hero
Catch one or two in a live catch trap and incinerate them alive, the noise it makes gives the rest the gypsies and the fk off schnell machen.

964ST

Old-Salt
Write it up on here if you do get hold of one.

As a tip for you: Don't go buying their expensive bait stuff if you don't have to. The local pest control bloke told me to use peanut butter, or chocolate spread to attract rodents to traps.

For the thumbs up on a PC just click on the little thumb icon in the bottom right hand corner of the post.
I thought I might try and merge my “perimeter security” problem from my previous post on this thread, with this device!
I am willing to speak to the company (and maybe pitch on Dragons Den on there behalf!) if they could manufacture an xxxxl version that could maybe fit a turban sized object OR the like? I am just not sure what bait I could use?

My local garage told me that they use mothballs to drive rodents out of cars.

I use and put mothballs on machinery and her garden tractor when I store them away over winter and they work great. Stops the rodents building nests where they shouldn't.

The only thing I don't like about using mothballs is trying to get their little legs open to snip off their balls.

There was a video on youtube last year from a guy whose lawn was being torn up by moles. He tried everything to get rid of them and no matter how many he caught in traps it made no difference.

In the end he had to resorted to drastic measures, he built and waterproofed a box, put a speaker in it and ran the speaker wire back to his house. He plugged it all in and played Barry Manilow on a continuous loop.

The music couldn't be heard above ground but it damn well worked, he never had any more problems with moles afterwards.

It might work for rats as well.

964ST

Old-Salt
There was a video on youtube last year from a guy whose lawn was being torn up by moles. He tried everything to get rid of them and no matter how many he caught in traps it made no difference.

In the end he had to resorted to drastic measures, he built and waterproofed a box, put a speaker in it and ran the speaker wire back to his house. He plugged it all in and played Barry Manilow on a continuous loop.

The music couldn't be heard above ground but it damn well worked, he never had any more problems with moles afterwards.

It might work for rats as well.
It’s probably only a temporary measure, once the rats get “kitted out” with “wide collared shirts, flared trousers and platform shoes” THEN! the party really! Starts.

Latest Threads