Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rats in compost

Unremarkable

War Hero
Take one quite large bucket, the size of the sort used for beer brewing. Near the top, drill two holes diametrically opposed. Take a wooden rod of two inches or so diameter, bolt in place across the top so that it freely spins. Build a ramp or similar, part fill with water, and smear some peanut butter or other bait on the centre of the rod. Retire and dispose of formerly twitchy nosed corpses at your leisure.

Take one quite large bucket, the size of the sort used for beer brewing. Near the top, drill two holes diametrically opposed. Take a wooden rod of two inches or so diameter, bolt in place across the top so that it freely spins. Build a ramp or similar, part fill with water, and smear some peanut butter or other bait on the centre of the rod. Retire and dispose of formerly twitchy nosed corpses at your leisure.

Eddy Waring walt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rats don't get past the dog.

Neither do rabbits, cats, mice, voles, shrews, pheasants or moles.

Only creatures to have escaped in our garden are pinemartens and hedgehogs. Although both require dog to be removed for them to escape!

Same here, anything that comes into the yard is taken out by our dogs if spotted by them. Earlier this year my missus had to knock out two of our dogs with anesthetic to pull porcupine quills from their head face and neck.

They killed the porcupine but it was at a cost, we are still occasionally pulling small quills from them that have just been pushed to the surface of the skin.

Glue traps and a hammer?
Glue traps are said to be 'the cruellest method of rodent control' by Peta.
Which is a bad thing?

Really I've heard that baiting them with a mix of flour and polyfilla (or flour, polyfilla, and ground glass), is the cruellest method. Supposedly quite effective though. Lethal constipation.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Wot? No mention of fire or explosives?

Mr phantom, you've let me down, you've let ARRSE down. But, most of all...

Mrs phantom disapproves of my use of fire, and particularly explosives.

She hasn't ruled out CS mainly because she doesn't know I discovered a "few" pellets while sorting the garage.

Perhaps put mirrors in and around the composting bins. The rats will be so mortified when they see themselves that they won't want to hang around.

My local garage told me that they use mothballs to drive rodents out of cars. This was after they had left the window of my Touareg open overnight in their workshop and I found a rat turd on the dash.

I nicked a few of the wifes pop sox, bought a huge box of mothballs, filled a few pop sox with mothballs and hung two in the engine compartment, one in the driver space and the other in the loadspace. Never saw a rodent...........smelled like a mothball factory.

Other than that they do not like strobe lights. Between inspection and closing on the house I bought last year a fcuking squirrel moved in to the attic. I checked around and got quotes from $1000 to $2000 for setting traps. Then I stumbled across a pest control bloke who swears by using strobe lights placed in the attic. I bought a few off ebay, stuck them up, no more squirrels. Apparently spiders, rats, mice, etc do not like experience flashbacks to bad acid trips in the 60's so they bugger off if strobes are around.

I have seen this kind of thing work incredibly well too plenty on youtube;

Same here, anything that comes into the yard is taken out by our dogs if spotted by them. Earlier this year my missus had to knock out two of our dogs with anesthetic to pull porcupine quills from their head face and neck.

They killed the porcupine but it was at a cost, we are still occasionally pulling small quills from them that have just been pushed to the surface of the skin.

If they could talk - they would still tell you it was ******* worth it .

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Perhaps put mirrors in and around the composting bins. The rats will be so mortified when they see themselves that they won't want to hang around.

That will attract PTIs though

Maybe the rat was commenting on your **** choice of cars?

Sod off.:)

The Toe-Rag Mk.1 was so over engineered and armoured up by VW it was almost bomb proof. They had never built an SUV before, especially not one with permanent 4x4 they over erred on the side of caution. There were a couple of common hickeys which were generally caught in the warranty period, but other than that it gave me 10 years of reliable motoring - and I still sold it as a runner for $5K.

endure

GCM
The reason that rats are super cautious around new food is that they're physically unable to vomit.

If they come across new scran they taste a tiny bit first and if it doesn't agree with them they avoid it in future.

One of the main rat poisons is anticoagulant. It has no immediate effect on the rat and so doesn't put the rat off eating more.

What it does do is accumulate in the rat's guts and cause internal bleeding so the rat eventually bleeds to death.

In the true spirit of oneupmanship, can I say I'm glad I have a sparrowhawk keeping the vermin down?
1604171037461.png

I have to say. I'm impressed AFTM... ;)

Winnet

War Hero
As kids we used to "fish for them " with luncheon meat , size six hook . This pond was in Billingham and there were more rats than fish at the time.