Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rats in compost

Apologies if in wrong forum, couldn't find a gardening one though assume there's some hanging around here?

We have quite a large household and take our composting very seriously, 5 big bins on the go. It would seem however that rats appear to have made it their home to the extent we have to sash a bin with a sock a few times before opening it. With kids, a huge pooch and an emergency foster home for dogs, very loathe to be laying poisons and would like not to have to destroy our decent compost with petrol and fire. Any suggestions to drive the little ******* to a less desirable postcode?

theinventor

Old-Salt
Get one of these
IMG_20201022_133337.jpg

She doesn't eat them all, but keeps them down to an acceptable level. What definitely helps is to make sure there's clear space all around the bins, then Ratty has to make a Sarajevo-style dash in the open and that when they get caught.

Get one of theseView attachment 516493
She doesn't eat them all, but keeps them down to an acceptable level. What definitely helps is to make sure there's clear space all around the bins, then Ratty has to make a Sarajevo-style dash in the open and that when they get caught.

Morning @theinventor,
It's a sport in the dhaba I drink in. Four caught yesterday and the owner takes them 2km to the town dump and lets them loose.
Screenshot_20201031-152231_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20201031-152206_Photos.jpg

Otherwise, he chucks them in gardens of locals who piss him off.

Simple - buy an air rifle.
Set up a hide nearby, protected from the elements, bait the impact area and you will clean up over a few days.

What he said, We live along side a rural canal, and the rats make the occasional foray into our garden. I have two powerful .22 rifles, with scopes, or the occasional rat trap set up in the composting bin, or along a known rat run will do the job, bait with blue poison blocks, or chocolate, and peanut butter.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
What he said, We live along side a rural canal, and the rats make the occasional foray into our garden. I have two powerful .22 rifles, with scopes, or the occasional rat trap set up in the composting bin, or along a known rat run will do the job, bait with blue poison blocks, or chocolate, and peanut butter.
Yep, those blue poison blocks are the best, they actually take it back to their nest and the whole family of rats help themselves to it.
Well that’s what I read somewhere and when I moved out to the country one day I spotted a rat, went to the local place which sells everything and they recommended this stuff and told me the same, haven’t seen a rat in several years now and only put that stuff out for a week.
You place it in a rat run contraption, they love going into tunnels this allowed them in where the blocks were and then out again, thus keeping it away from pets.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Rats don't get past the dog.

Neither do rabbits, cats, mice, voles, shrews, pheasants or moles.

Only creatures to have escaped in our garden are pinemartens and hedgehogs. Although both require dog to be removed for them to escape!

A cheaper but still quite effective alternative is the cheapest ( Lidl ? ) tins of sweetcorn.
Stick the contents through a whizzer then keep in a plastic bottle in the fridge.
They like the high sugar content but most importantly if shooting, they can't pick up a lump and run away - their natural instinct if wary.

CrazyLegs!

War Hero
Get another bin and a balloon large enough to fill the opening of the bin. Put treats at the top of the balloon and the scratchy bastards will climb up the balloon, their horrible little minging claws causing it to burst, and they’ll tumble into the bin below (make sure the bin is smooth sided so they can’t get out).

You can then humanely stamp them to death at your leisure. Alternatively, if you have the finances, you can set the bin on fire then purchase another bin and repeat the process.

Did I mention I hate the crawly, bitey, horrible things? :D

Oyibo

LE
Seconded regarding a dog:

1604140592243.png

1604140676377.png

Rats, moles, mice - it gets them all. Only stoats escape the murderous sh*t

Ritch

LE
Apologies if in wrong forum, couldn't find a gardening one though assume there's some hanging around here?

We have quite a large household and take our composting very seriously, 5 big bins on the go. It would seem however that rats appear to have made it their home to the extent we have to sash a bin with a sock a few times before opening it. With kids, a huge pooch and an emergency foster home for dogs, very loathe to be laying poisons and would like not to have to destroy our decent compost with petrol and fire. Any suggestions to drive the little ******* to a less desirable postcode?

We have one of those hot compost bins. All we've done is raise it on a bed of bricks as someone said that rats like to burrow from underneath. Never had a problem and any rats in the garden have been sorted with my air rifle.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
if it wasn't for having pet Guinea pigs I'd have these in the garage, shed, workshop and office

1604141228668.png

however a few of these around and the rat we had has apparently buggered off

1604141456497.png

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
In the true spirit of oneupmanship, can I say I'm glad I have a sparrowhawk keeping the vermin down?

Latest Threads