Ratings get their marching orders

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by india-juliet, Jun 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Five junior Royal Navy ratings have been marched through the main streets of St Mary's in the Isles of Scilly to apologise for their behaviour.
    It follows incidents involving junior ratings from the Portsmouth-based Type 23 frigate HMS Iron Duke, who were under the influence of alcohol.

Police in St Mary's had to deal with a number of incidents including drunken behaviour and fighting.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said the incident was being investigated.

About 80 ratings from the ship went ashore in St Mary's on Saturday, but only a small number were involved in the trouble.

Tourism officer Steve Watt said visits by Royal Navy ships have always gone without problems in the past and this was unlikely to affect any future visits.

He said: "I thought it was a brilliant PR exercise to have the vessel come in here in the first place and I personally didn't witness anything other than normal Saturday-night high spirits."

Mr Watt said HMS Ocean and HMS Cornwall were due to visit the islands soon and it was important not to blow things out of proportion.

"These were relatively minor incidents, but I certainly wouldn't like to be in the shoes of those junior ratings."

Sergeant Ian Stevens told BBC News a number of complaints were received after the sailors came ashore and he confirmed that some have been issued with £80 fixed penalty fines.

"It was a lively old evening with some drunkenness and boisterous behaviour", he said.

"The seamen have been on board for two weeks and this was their first run ashore for a while, so I think they made the most of it."

A member of the ship's company, who was alleged to have tampered with a fishing boat at Hughtown quay, has apologised to the vessel's owner.

An MoD statement said internal disciplinary matters were being considered.
  2. Seems a sensible response by both HMS Iron Duke and the St Mary's community. Sounds like a nice place.
  3. Oh dear, can't take the navy anywhere :twisted:
  4. I think you can TAKE the navy most places. Particularly the showers.
  5. Good point
  6. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

In all my visits to Medicine Hat I never ever saw any behaviour as displayed by our matelot colleagues, the sin bin was a delight to attend of a quiet Saturday evening 8)
  7. Yeah right! What did they do?
  8. Just said a stupid thing didnt I?
  9. Scilly fcukers.
  10. The Daily Mirror reported that some of the sailors were shouting and singing!! What a disgrace. Soldiers would never do such things!
  11. Perhaps they were in tune?
  12. Those were the days! MAking me all nostalgic! Im an ex matelow and I can certainly say that I know how they felt!
  13. Nuff said.