Rat swarm

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by detmold_padbrat, Jan 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was travelling west on the A47 new years eve, and had got to the stretch of road (single carrigeway) about 500 odd yards east of the village of Glaston when my headlights illuminated some 40 to 50 rats in the road. They were crossing the road from right to left, some were stopping midway and turning around, but most were moving from right to left. I could not see how many were on the verge or in the hedge each side, but presumeably many more.It was a swarm of rats , and I can see how folklore like the pied piper of Hameln originated.

Anyone know why they do this ? I squashed a few of them .
  2. To get to the other side?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Deserting Liverpool?
    • Like Like x 5
  4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Lawyers moved into the area?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Not 'swarms'. Surely rats go in packs. Ratpacks. I'll get my coat.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I don't know exactly where you were or what the weather was doing, but I am aware of rats leaving storm drains and other underground drainage systems when they flood. There have been historical reports of the numbers being in the thousands.
  7. Beat me to it,,altho I would have said Merseyside.............
  8. Interesting. I haven't seen any rats in ages but my terrier's killed two in the last ten days. I live south of Bristol... maybe they're heading for the docks.
  9. Since the Mersey flows though Warrington I'm happy to cede the point to you.
  10. That's just the locals out on the pull.
  11. "Anyone know why they do this ? I squashed a few of them ."

You could skin and fillet them to stuff your goose.......
  12. Perhaps one of them thought he'd spotted Dustin Hoffman.
  13. 2012 and all that!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tis the beginning of the end!