• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Rat Packs

Just come across some boil in the bags and I’m starting to salivate. No BBF date on most, a few around 12 months ago. What’s the longest after BBF dates anyone has troughed on these beauties and survived? A pork casserole keeps giving me the eye, it’s sitting in my kitchen staring.

Theres a bloke on youtube who makes videos of various countries ration packs, contents and taste. He did one on an American c ration from the Vietnam era trying out the food that wasn't obviously spoiled, most of it was ok to eat.

My opinion, if it’s not ‘blown’ it’s fine...

Way older than WW2. How about Boer War era!

As he says, it wouldn't have been particularly good quality when it was new. A proper analysis of the constituents, including any metal from the solder and bacteria would be interesting.

Having watched that, modern dog food sounds more appetising. There's a bloke on youtube who ate three cans of cold Pedigree Chum for a challenge.

Last edited:
Way older than WW2. How about Boer War era!

As he says, it wouldn't have been particularly good quality when it was new. A proper analysis of the constituents, including any metal from the solder and bacteria would be interesting.

Having watched that, modern dog food sounds more appetising. There's a bloke on youtube who ate three cans of cold Pedigree Chum for a challenge.
All forms of dog food, and as far as I know cat food as well, are all tested first on people. And all the constituent parts of the pet food have to be rated as fit for human consumption. Given the menu types the little furry bastards have access to now, like gourmet chicken and tuna and so on, this isn't really all that surprising. :)

US MRE’s now include pizza, a 'Holy Grail’ the US Army have been trying to produce for over 20 years’. Although we may not understand how big a deal this was this may go a little way to explaining. The second is a proper review of the product.

It would seem they have now produced it but still in testing phase. There is a company that is producing a rat pack that has the pizza in it and it seems to be OK. Still pretty new.

Last edited:
Just come across some boil in the bags and I’m starting to salivate. No BBF date on most, a few around 12 months ago. What’s the longest after BBF dates anyone has troughed on these beauties and survived? A pork casserole keeps giving me the eye, it’s sitting in my kitchen staring.
As they’re all boil in the bag, I’d cook it, open it, give it the sniff test, then taste. If all ok, crack on.
I’ve eaten rat pack food that I’d salvaged from the gash bags and ended up keeping for a couple of years that was well past the use by date principally because I was brought up by parents who’d experienced rationing and I was taught to abhor food waste.
On a similar note, I caught this on the news the other day.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/surplus-army-food-rations-to-12563712
It seems there are plans afoot to dish out rat packs close to their use by date to the homeless.

I predict someone, now I’m not saying who, will be along in a minute to say you should have used the search function box.... just saying like.
I used search function for "boil in the bag pouch" and all it came up with was Jarrods posing pouch

Mentioned it before: Our shed was hidden away in the Supply Depot HQNI, the ration lads had to spend a week of nights and a weekend removing and replacing the M@rs bars in fahsunds of packs because they were mouldy. Put chocy in a pack and it reduces the shelf life.

Best ratpacks I used to get were from a Belgian Para Cpl I knew who used to slide over the French one's they got issued, magnificent.

sad news for the older and bolder, simpsons ready foods for many years the maker of such delights as compo snorkers and babys head in Trafford Manchester is as i type being pulled down