Rat Pack use by date

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Darth_stab, Mar 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have 2 rat packs, packaging dates are 2003 and 2004.

What would the use date be ?

Thanks

2. msr

msr LE

Offficially you should have returned them after the ex.

If you are that hungry and skint, search out the 'Whoops' section of your local Asda and get something cheap, or swallow your pride and go to Lidl.

msr

3. I think they are good (good in the loosest sense) for 15 years or something ridiculous.

4. Use by the end of the

Millennium

:numberone:
    B_T

5. Which one?

6. The next one - not even this one.

7. H3

H3 LE

8. I would agree with the above and use the other one.

9. Use by date would be approximately, when they start jumping off the QMs shelves and walking around on their own.

Admittedly they are still tasty, and act of catching them makes your appetite grow. Although their squeals are a little upsetting.

10. thanks for your input.

Was thinking of putting them on fleabay but you can gaurentee that some airsofter will ask me the same question. Hence the reason for my post

11. Can you not get done for that?

Aren't they government property? Even if you did starve for 24hrs to keep one.

12. People have eaten stuff that was tinned 100 years ago, with no ill effects. The old compo in varnished tins was good for decades of storage.

This topic could ignite a huge "lamp and sandbag" thread of - "what was the oldest ration pack you were issued with"....... LOL

13. Not sure about 100 years ago, as the tins were sealed with lead or similar. I am sure I have read that the older ones, couldn't be eaten now because of the risk of lead poisoning, wrt Scott of the Antartic and his stash.

I do remember a bloke eating chicken something from a tin that he had been bought for his wedding. He promised to eat it on his golden wedding aniversary or similar. Either way it was a good 40 - 50 years old. Apparently because it was canned whilst hot, it was going to last for years.

A lot of expiry dates now adays are complete rubbish.

14. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Except for the Cheese 'Possesed' or the 'meat shatae'

Mind you , we once found a large tin of Biscuits Brown in the Bomb Dump stores which was around 30 years old.Still edible!

15. 5 years after packaging date, however if needs must :sweatdrop: