Rat Killing

Although a more satisfying aiming point I’ve never found head shots a necessity in shooting rats, especially when they’re on the trot as they so often are, and I’ve shot a lot with an air rifle over the years. It seems that as long as you hit them square, in the flank or arse end with any rifle doing 10ft/lbs or more they roll over and die. They seem to go into shock very easily and if needed another follow up shot dispatches them.
You are most likely correct. I selected the rifle on a whim. Mainly because it was old school gorgeous and I had to have it.

Then I needed to justify it hence the rat shooting, holes in the cupboards and blood spatter.

Oh and the fact that I can't bring it back to the UK as it is significantly over the legal limit is a source of great disappointment. Stand to be corrected.

You are most likely correct. I selected the rifle on a whim. Mainly because it was old school gorgeous and I had to have it.

Then I needed to justify it hence the rat shooting, holes in the cupboards and blood spatter.

Oh and the fact that I can't bring it back to the UK as it is significantly over the legal limit is a source of great disappointment. Stand to be corrected.
I would imagine it would be easy enough to have a gunsmith change out the spring for a U.K. legal 12ft/lbs spec, or you could do it yourself as I have done in the past. YouTube has many videos showing how to break down a break barrel springer and it’s not too difficult. Springs are available on the internet if you have difficulty sourcing one at your end, and it’s worth doing in my opinion as the Diana/RWS 350 Mag is a lovely rifle, and around 400 quid to buy new in the U.K.

Picked this up yesterday - it would make ratting more 'up close and personal!

IMG_0132 (002).jpg

Let's consider something more English, something more traditional; a crossbow or longbow then. Rats would stand no chance against either methinks.

Picked this up yesterday - it would make ratting more 'up close and personal!

View attachment 400271
Brings back happy memories I had a Webley Senior .22 as opposed to .177, Father gave it to me when I was about 8
Here’s a couple of nice conditioned old Webley’s I recently made some new grips for from American black walnut. A Premier mkII and a Tempest. Rather pleased with the eventual results after some trial and error.

1079F465-E9BD-48D4-ADAC-80C1516C07BE.jpeg

Brings back happy memories I had a Webley Senior .22 as opposed to .177, Father gave it to me when I was about 8
It is a .22 actually (you can just see the calibre on the barrel hinge, the tin says .177 but was full of .22 wadcutters!

I have some rats in my garden that are interfering with the birds that I love to feed and watch. I have half a dozen air rifles but all are unavailable due to divorce proceedings, access etc.

Landowners 'humane' traps aren't working.

All my air rifles are springer 'classics' (BSA Airsporters, Original Mod 50, Weihrauchs various) so I'm after something PCP and have my eye on a second hand 'mint' Brocock Concept Super 6 in .22 (I won't entertain .177).

It's on the list as £395 including a Nikko 4x40 Mount Master. I've asked him to throw in a mod too.

Views?
Move to Alberta we dont have any rats

On a smaller scale:
Our next door neighbours have just had a major clear up of their back garden and must have disturbed some mice as one was spotted by the missus heading across our patio.
"Oooh! There's a mouse, quick, put down some stuff!
There was a family (of mice) living under their decking a couple of years back and after buying those 'Big Cheese' poison blocks that look like waxy snooker chalks, I decided that shooting incomers would be more fun, so I tried that first.
The problem was, it's close to the house and my more powerful .22s do damage even on a ricochet so I used my BSA Scorpion pistol, which has a shoulder stock and optics.
Another problem. A mouse's reflexes, even at relatively short range are better than the MV of an air pistol and the little gits would be in the air before the pellet struck. The solution was my wife's .177 Original mod 27. 35 years old, hardly used (the rifle) and unmodified (the wife?), it had spent at least 30 years in the loft in it's cover. The mice were now dedded before they knew it. The poison was put into the shed.
FF to yesterday.
I was in the shed when she saw the mouse, working on my lathe. I thought, 'time to get out the .177' and carried on turning. Setting it off on a long, fine cut on auto-feed, I took a swig of coffee.
In my peripheral vision I saw a movement and I just caught sight of a mouse's arrse as it disappeared behind a grinder. Luckily remembering to turn the auto-feed off, I grabbed the air blow off gun and directed it behind the grinder. The mouse shot across the shed - behind all the racking, where it could do untold damage. I blew air behind that but never saw the little shit again. Bastard refugee mice, coming over here....
There are now blocks of poison bait spread around inside the shed and I've shot one intruder our side of the fence; a post-mortem quick gawp revealed an alimentary canal bypass, leading directly to the arrsehole, so the sights are still ok.
She's already moaning about the rifle in the lobby - I haven't told her about the mouse/shed/poison as I'd be accused of differing standards regarding use of poison when my stuff's in danger.

where do you get
Here’s a couple of nice conditioned old Webley’s I recently made some new grips for from American black walnut. A Premier mkII and a Tempest. Rather pleased with the eventual results after some trial and error.

View attachment 400461
do you have a good source for premier/tempest spare parts? have a premier with a sear that has seen better days!

where do you get

do you have a good source for premier/tempest spare parts? have a premier with a sear that has seen better days!
Try Chambers, they generally have all the bits needed for old Webley pistols. I’ve used them before and its always worked out fine.

Premier Pistol (1964-75) Webley - Airgun spares | Chambers Gunmakers - Airgun, Shotgun & Rifle spares. Parts for Air Arms, BSA, Crosman, Diana, Gamo, Relum, Webley, Weihrauch and many, many more

EDIT:

Just checked and they’re out of stock, John Knibbs appear to have them though at £15 a piece.

Webley Premier Mk1 & Mk1 Pistol Sear Part No. M4 - John Knibbs International Ltd

Last edited:
Try Chambers, they generally have all the bits needed for old Webley pistols. I’ve used them before and its always worked out fine.

Premier Pistol (1964-75) Webley - Airgun spares | Chambers Gunmakers - Airgun, Shotgun & Rifle spares. Parts for Air Arms, BSA, Crosman, Diana, Gamo, Relum, Webley, Weihrauch and many, many more

EDIT:

Just checked and they’re out of stock, John Knibbs appear to have them though at £15 a piece.

Webley Premier Mk1 & Mk1 Pistol Sear Part No. M4 - John Knibbs International Ltd
Cheers!

Latest Threads