Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raspberry Pis - anyone else?

To be fair, they've been a little more along the lines of "can you state the question more clearly please?"
The pi is a computer (albeit a small one). Programming is a very diverse field and between us we probably have expertise in most aspects of it. It's as diverse as construction and we all think we know the difference between a brickie, a plumber and a glazier...
I would offer to help but I too don't really know what's needed. @armchair_jihad if you PM me I might be able to help your contact work out what to ask for.
Yes, it's going to be hard to get people to commit to something if they don't know what they're getting themselves into.

Is it someone's hobby project? Is it part of a business launch? Is it a subcontract for some other company? Is this some sort of gaming / social media / IOT "wearable" thingy? Is it a remote environmental monitoring system? Is it yet another widget for pirating TV? Is it part of an industrial control or monitoring system? What sort of skill sets are they looking for? Low level drivers? Servers? Web interface? Communications protocols? MQTT config and set up? Etc. All of these can involve different skill sets.

PiHole on Ipad:

Have installed PiHole on my Pi (connected via WiFi) that also has Raspian on it.
Have assigned my Ipad and Pi a static IP.
Have configured Ipad DNS IP to that of the Pi.

It doesn't work. I'm still able to browse online on the ipad, PiHole admin page shows whats connected on the network but shows all 'queries' as zero.

Where am I going wrong?

I wanted to only configure it via Wifi so devices can be added to it on an Ad Hoc basis. I can't risk 'hard setting' it in the router config as my wife works from home and if I break our internet it will cause too much shit.

Any advice appreciated.

@Roadster280

PiHole on Ipad:

Have installed PiHole on my Pi (connected via WiFi) that also has Raspian on it.

It doesn't work. I'm still able to browse online on the ipad, PiHole admin page shows whats connected on the network but shows all 'queries' as zero.

Where am I going wrong?

I wanted to only configure it via Wifi so devices can be added to it on an Ad Hoc basis. I can't risk 'hard setting' it in the router config as my wife works from home and if I break our internet it will cause too much shit.

Any advice appreciated.

@Roadster280

Have you tried restarting the iPad to ensure it's using the new settings? Is the iPad definitely using the WiFI settings and not defaulting back to 3/4G if available?

PiHole on Ipad:

Where am I going wrong?

Any advice appreciated.

@Roadster280

Sounds like you've done the basic steps right. Maybe the Pi dropping the wifi, or the static IP didn't get accepted and it's pulling DHCP for itself. A couple things I would try:

1. Try with a phone, set its DNS to the Pi. See if that works. That will narrow it down to iPad or Pi.
2. Try cabling the Pi over Ethernet to your router. As long as you don't set the DNS in the router to the Pi, you won't mess the whole network up.
3. Is the PiHole config correct? You can enable/disable it in the interface, along with a bunch of other settings.

FWIW, I don't set static IPs. I reserve a DHCP address for every known device on my network against its MAC address. Thus I don't have to piss about with reverting to DHCP if I take a device to a different location. But if it's on my network, it always has the same address.

Have you tried restarting the iPad to ensure it's using the new settings? Is the iPad definitely using the WiFI settings and not defaulting back to 3/4G if available?
Have tried that. There is absolutely nothing in the PiHole query log. The DNS IP is manual and same as the Pi, Im still able to browse- even when the Pi is switched off. What am I missing in the Ipad settings?

I went into Wifi settings>Configure DNS>Manual>put in Pi IP address.
Is there another step Im missing?

Have tried that. There is absolutely nothing in the PiHole query log. The DNS IP is manual and same as the Pi, Im still able to browse- even when the Pi is switched off. What am I missing in the Ipad settings?

If you have access to a Windows PC try the following:

Win-R to bring up the "Run" box
Enter "cmd" to start a command shell
nslookup www.google.com <ip-of-PiHole>
(i.e. "nslookup www.google.com 192.168.1.100")

This should directly query the PiHole for the IP address of www.google.com

Sounds like you've done the basic steps right. Maybe the Pi dropping the wifi, or the static IP didn't get accepted and it's pulling DHCP for itself. A couple things I would try:

1. Try with a phone, set its DNS to the Pi. See if that works. That will narrow it down to iPad or Pi.
2. Try cabling the Pi over Ethernet to your router. As long as you don't set the DNS in the router to the Pi, you won't mess the whole network up.
3. Is the PiHole config correct? You can enable/disable it in the interface, along with a bunch of other settings.

FWIW, I don't set static IPs. I reserve a DHCP address for every known device on my network against its MAC address. Thus I don't have to piss about with reverting to DHCP if I take a device to a different location. But if it's on my network, it always has the same address.
Have tried on phone too with same result. All devices on network are showing in PiHole admin but none are shown as using it or sending queries.

Update:

I'd forgot to put my beard on.

I had it only setup as ethernet in Pihole settings. Have now changed to 'listen on all interfaces'.
I disabled mobile data on Ipad too.
Now showing as connected to PiHole and the query log is populating.

Cheers for the advice / things to check :)

Further question please:

I have switched off mobile data on Ipad-still have the DNS set to Pi IP. Have now switched off the Pi but I'm still able to browse. How is this please? Apologies if its a bone question.

Further question please:

I have switched off mobile data on Ipad-still have the DNS set to Pi IP. Have now switched off the Pi but I'm still able to browse. How is this please? Apologies if its a bone question.

Your browser and local DNS resolver both cache the responses they get, so if you go to a site you have recently visited they don't necessarily need to do a new lookup. It is also possible that if the iPad is unable to connect to the PiHole it is defaulting back to either querying the router IP, or if it has a 3G data connection querying the DNS for that.

Who on here is familiar with Retropie? I'm sure I recall somebody on arrse is.

I'm havcing trouble trying to get the Dreamcast emulator working. There are 2 BIOS files required - DC_boot.bin and DC_bios.bin
They are pretty easy to finnd online but- can only seem to find them as ISO files. When I try to extract it says "File format is unsupported". This only seems to happen with Dreamcast BIOS files. Have no snags using PowerISO with other emulator files.

Who on here is familiar with Retropie? I'm sure I recall somebody on arrse is.

I'm havcing trouble trying to get the Dreamcast emulator working. There are 2 BIOS files required - DC_boot.bin and DC_bios.bin
They are pretty easy to finnd online but- can only seem to find them as ISO files. When I try to extract it says "File format is unsupported". This only seems to happen with Dreamcast BIOS files. Have no snags using PowerISO with other emulator files.
Sounds like bad ISO's but see if you can unpack them on your computer using 7zip.

Maybe give this a try

Last edited:

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Have you disabled DHCP on your router and set it's DNS to the Pihole IP address?
You might also need to block DNS traffic at the router except for the Pihole IP address, if any of your devices are using DoH / DoT, this will need blocking also.

Beards!!!

I'm watching something on a youtube channel I subscribe to about something called a Jetson Nano.

Bin the first 6 minutes of it-then watch.

Your thoughts please.

Beards!!!

I'm watching something on a youtube channel I subscribe to about something called a Jetson Nano.

Bin the first 6 minutes of it-then watch.

Your thoughts please.
This is for GPU accelerated computation. If you don't know what that is, it isn't for you. It is as about a niche item as can be imagined.

This is for GPU accelerated computation. If you don't know what that is, it isn't for you. It is as about a niche item as can be imagined.
I'll be not bothering myself with anything about that further then!

You just know that is the equivalent of saying this to certain personality types...
7788230372_d639e6423f_b.jpg