Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raspberry Pis - anyone else?

theinventor

Old-Salt
A couple of questions about PiHole if I may.
How long does it take to set up?
I have a Pi 1 Model B, could I use that without too much fettling, or should I get a Pi 4?
I run it on my oldest pi, a 2011 model C, as it needs almost no grunt.

Took me a few hours to install as I had other software on there (which I wanted to keep) and needed to fix some dependencies, if it's all that's to go on then with a fresh OS installed I'd say under an hour.

It lives slung on a shelf in the garage and it just chugs on and on...
Screenshot_20200628_135649.jpg

To get everything on your network to use it you need to disabled DHCP on your router and enable it on your PiHole so PiHole assigns IP addresses and also on tour router in DNS settings point it to Pihole so PiHole does all of the DNS translation.
Using Pihole as the DHCP server really is a matter of choice. I don’t - my router still handles that.

The RPi has a static IP address which the router uses as its DNS and it all works jolly well.

Using Pihole as the DHCP server really is a matter of choice. I don’t - my router still handles that.

The RPi has a static IP address which the router uses as its DNS and it all works jolly well.

Yes you are right, you dont have to set the PiHole as a DHCP Server but it was recommended to me by a number of PiHole users so I went that route.

Thanks All,
Will get on it next week.

Yes you are right, you dont have to set the PiHole as a DHCP Server but it was recommended to me by a number of PiHole users so I went that route.
If you have a virgin media superhub 3, you need to use the Pi as a DHCP server, simply because the superhub doesn't allow you to mess about with the DNS settings. Probably on other ISP suppliers Hubs you don't have this problem. It's really simple though - just enable the Pi to be the DHCP server and set the DNS is uses to cloudflare. If takes seconds and is just a couple of button clicks. (On your ISP hub - disable DHCP).

Also Old raspberry pi version 1 (B), works fine for pihole - it takes about 15 minutes from start to finish to install and setup from scratch. Once setup - I recommend you connect the Pi to your ISP's hub via an Ethernet cable, as all your DNS queries from your home network go via the PI - and it's faster to use ethernet than it is wifi - and you won't get wifi dropouts affecting your other devices.

If you have a virgin media superhub 3, you need to use the Pi as a DHCP server, simply because the superhub doesn't allow you to mess about with the DNS settings.
Never having had a VM hub, if you can‘t ‘mess about with DNS settings’ how do you set PiHole as your DNS?

Once setup - I recommend you connect the Pi to your ISP's hub via an Ethernet cable, as all your DNS queries from your home network go via the PI - and it's faster to use ethernet than it is wifi - and you won't get wifi dropouts affecting
I don’t use the piece of junk hub supplied by my ISP. but agreed on the Ethernet cable between RPI and router.

Mind you, my RPI zero is bereft of wifi and is thus connected with a 50 cm patch lead which was the shortest I had. One day, i will make the RPI look tidy in its corner.

EF8784EC-20B1-4C78-BC5D-21D670BC09C1.jpeg

Never having had a VM hub, if you can‘t ‘mess about with DNS settings’ how do you set PiHole as your DNS?

I don’t use the piece of junk hub supplied by my ISP. but agreed on the Ethernet cable between RPI and router.

Mind you, my RPI zero is bereft of wifi and is thus connected with a 50 cm patch lead which was the shortest I had. One day, i will make the RPI look tidy in its corner.

View attachment 485632
DNS and DHCP to two entirely different things. DHCP assigns local IP addresses to all the devices on your network - DNS resolves the IP address of a hostname. On the virgin hub you can't tell it what DNS server to use - but when you disable DHCP, the traffic gets routed via the DHCP server (PiHole), because the PI is acting as the DHCP server - it also resolves the domain names and converts those to IP addresses. The Hub is only then acting as a Router/Switch, and supplying internet connection to your ISP - where the PI is doing the DHCP/DNS work that the hub would usually be doing.

Any good and reliable Pi programmers on here? A mate is looking for help on a project he is doing with some ex forces people?

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Not really something i'm skilled at I'm afraid, i'm ok at setting up and resolving install & usage issues with software and networking, not really a programming bod though - sorry!

Any good and reliable Pi programmers on here? A mate is looking for help on a project he is doing with some ex forces people?
Is there cash involved? Also you will need to say what programming language he wants to use in his program - is it python, C++ etc.

I'm not in a position to commit to being responsible for a hardware project on the other side of the ocean, but I can give advice on software aspects of the project.

Armchair jihad can't be that arsed - it's been a few days since he posted, people have replied and he/she/it hasn't had the common decency to even reply.......hmmmm, not that important a project then?

theinventor

Old-Salt
And all the answers here were pretty much "no".
To be fair, they've been a little more along the lines of "can you state the question more clearly please?"
The pi is a computer (albeit a small one). Programming is a very diverse field and between us we probably have expertise in most aspects of it. It's as diverse as construction and we all think we know the difference between a brickie, a plumber and a glazier...
I would offer to help but I too don't really know what's needed. @armchair_jihad if you PM me I might be able to help your contact work out what to ask for.