Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raspberry Pis - anyone else?

It's a JSN SR04 and uses a reversing radar sensor. I've only just found it. A guy in a video swaps between the two with no software changes, so I presume it's the same result electronics but packaged with a different transducer.

I'm thinking of a security field around the van, triggering the cameras, lights and barking dog.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

It's a JSN SR04 and uses a reversing radar sensor. I've only just found it. A guy in a video swaps between the two with no software changes, so I presume it's the same result electronics but packaged with a different transducer.

I'm thinking of a security field around the van, triggering the cameras, lights and barking dog.

I saw the same youtube as you I think. Was it expensive if you dont mind my asking?

I saw the same youtube as you I think. Was it expensive if you dont mind my asking?
£6.97.

I found some cheaper, but delivery is September, I want it know.

BTW. I've just connected a 12 led bar graph display to a spare pi, then found the LEDBarGraph in the gpiozero docs. Quickest project ever.

Is anyone using Motioneye O.S. for CCTV by any chance? I have a MotionEye Pi set up as a hub and another Pi that runs MotionEye and its attached camera can be seen by the hub no problem SO I built another Pi with a camera which boots fine but as soon as U make any changes to it on MotionEye and reboot it the Pi drops off the LAN never to be seen again and I have to reimage it!

I suspected a bad MicroSD card so replaced that but same results!

Any ideas guys?

with the camera board disconnected and just the flex cable connected to the board it reboots fine and jumps back onto the network as soon as it ahs rebooted but with the camera connected to the flex cable it "disappears". Odd......

with the camera board disconnected and just the flex cable connected to the board it reboots fine and jumps back onto the network as soon as it ahs rebooted but with the camera connected to the flex cable it "disappears". Odd......
IP address related? Fixed or static etc?

£6.97.

I found some cheaper, but delivery is September, I want it know.

BTW. I've just connected a 12 led bar graph display to a spare pi, then found the LEDBarGraph in the gpiozero docs. Quickest project ever.

That's pretty cheap TBH. Please let me know how you get on with it.

Fixed and static address mate.
Just tried reseating the flexi cable at both ends to make sure it was making a good connection, applied power and boom disappeared.

Just realized, I checked with Advanced IP scanner and it has changed IP Address to a different address..

Just tried reseating the flexi cable at both ends to make sure it was making a good connection, applied power and boom disappeared.

Just realized, I checked with Advanced IP scanner and it has changed IP Address to a different address..
Also, just seen this from Meye install Instructions:

Setting the Network Credentials
Important note: when burning the ISO to the SD card for the Raspberry Pi Zero W boards, do not eject the card before following the next procedure to set your WiFi credentials. If you do not do this now, the Pi Zero will not log onto your Wi-Fi network and constantly reboot annoyingly requiring you to re-image the SD card.

Follow the next procedure to set your network credentials for each of your Raspberry Pi Zero W boards.

1. Open Notepad or a similar text editor, and create a new file called Wpa_supplicant.conf
  2. Copy the following lines to your file:country=FR
    update_config=1
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    network={
    ssid="extn2"
    psk="your-password"
    id_str="extn2"
    }
  3. Change the country code to your country, and use your SSID and password. Do include the quote marks.
  4. Save your file. Important: when you save the file ensure it is Wpa_supplicant.conf and not Wpa_supplicant.conf.txt as this will not work!
  5. Copy your Wpa_supplicant.conf file to the root of the SD card.

Also, just seen this from Meye install Instructions:

Setting the Network Credentials
Important note: when burning the ISO to the SD card for the Raspberry Pi Zero W boards, do not eject the card before following the next procedure to set your WiFi credentials. If you do not do this now, the Pi Zero will not log onto your Wi-Fi network and constantly reboot annoyingly requiring you to re-image the SD card.

Follow the next procedure to set your network credentials for each of your Raspberry Pi Zero W boards.

1. Open Notepad or a similar text editor, and create a new file called Wpa_supplicant.conf
  2. Copy the following lines to your file:country=FR
    update_config=1
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    network={
    ssid="extn2"
    psk="your-password"
    id_str="extn2"
    }
  3. Change the country code to your country, and use your SSID and password. Do include the quote marks.
  4. Save your file. Important: when you save the file ensure it is Wpa_supplicant.conf and not Wpa_supplicant.conf.txt as this will not work!
  5. Copy your Wpa_supplicant.conf file to the root of the SD card.

Yeah already have that but with the credentials for my wiFi network. Iam going to power down, reconnect camera and try it over Ethernet and see what it does I think..

Yeah already have that but with the credentials for my wiFi network. Iam going to power down, reconnect camera and try it over Ethernet and see what it does I think..
It looks like the camera board is causing the issue but not sure how. EVERY time I power don through MotionEYE client and disconnect the camera I apply power and it comes back up without issue and on the correct I.P. address but for some reason the MotionEYE client cannot show any images from the camera.

I have connected it to Ethernet and am going to try same tests to see if that makes a difference.

It looks like the camera board is causing the issue but not sure how. EVERY time I power don through MotionEYE client and disconnect the camera I apply power and it comes back up without issue and on the correct I.P. address but for some reason the MotionEYE client cannot show any images from the camera.

I have connected it to Ethernet and am going to try same tests to see if that makes a difference.
Connected via Ethernet and use the MotionEYE client to issue a reboot it reboots and after a few seconds the address starts to PING but I still get a spinning circle in the client and the device cannot be reached.

Connected to Ethernet with camera unplugged. Address starts PINGing within 20 seconds or so and I can reach the camera through the client. I use the MotionEYE client to issue a reboot it reboots and after a few seconds the address starts to PING and if I leave it for about 20 PINGs or so I can reach it in the client.

So what I know from this is it makes no difference to the problem if I connect via Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi but what DOES make a difference is if the camera is connected. I can swap the cameras around from this Pi to the other MotionEYE Pi and see if the problem follows the camera and if it does I know the camera is defective.

Connected via Ethernet and use the MotionEYE client to issue a reboot it reboots and after a few seconds the address starts to PING but I still get a spinning circle in the client and the device cannot be reached.

Connected to Ethernet with camera unplugged. Address starts PINGing within 20 seconds or so and I can reach the camera through the client. I use the MotionEYE client to issue a reboot it reboots and after a few seconds the address starts to PING and if I leave it for about 20 PINGs or so I can reach it in the client.

So what I know from this is it makes no difference to the problem if I connect via Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi but what DOES make a difference is if the camera is connected. I can swap the cameras around from this Pi to the other MotionEYE Pi and see if the problem follows the camera and if it does I know the camera is defective.

Its definitely the camera board as I moved the camera board from another MotionEYE Pi into this chassis and it worked fine but when I put the camera board from the problem one into the other Pi the problem followed it.

Ordered a new camera board should fix it :)

While perusing the gpiozero documentation tonight, living the geek dream, I found Blue Dot.

A python library that connects an android app to a pi via Bluetooth. A coloured dot on the phone acts as a button or joystick for the pi. Gpiozero has a Blue Dot class so control of physical items is possible.

Now that IS pretty clever TBH!

Bluedot is impressive.

Only took a few lines of python to get and led on from a press on the phone. No delay like on WiFi sometimes, tapping on the screen gives a flashing led.

It also has a joystick, swipe, angle from centre and, rotation parameters. I just wish you could design a screen for the Android app. All you can do at the moment is change from dot to square and colour.

Its definitely the camera board as I moved the camera board from another MotionEYE Pi into this chassis and it worked fine but when I put the camera board from the problem one into the other Pi the problem followed it.

Ordered a new camera board should fix it :)

Well the new camera module arrived Today and guess what the Pi doesnt see the new module, red light lights briefly on camera module bard then goes out.? I had narrowed it down to it being the camera module because another module on this pi worked fine and moving the existing camera to another Pi also caused that to have issues. I will move this new camera module to the existing Pi to make sure it runs fine on that...

New camera moved to Pi that doesn't have a problem is undetected. Camera moved from pi that doesn't have a problem moved to Pi with problem camera not detected. Camera from Pi without a problem moved to Pi with problem and camera IS detected.

Swapped ribbon cables as well. Don't know where else to go with this.......

Anyone fancy me sending it to them to do some detective work?! Beer tokens happily provided :)

New camera moved to Pi that doesn't have a problem is undetected. Camera moved from pi that doesn't have a problem moved to Pi with problem camera not detected. Camera from Pi without a problem moved to Pi with problem and camera IS detected.

Swapped ribbon cables as well. Don't know where else to go with this.......

Anyone fancy me sending it to them to do some detective work?! Beer tokens happily provided :)
Send an bits you want testing, I'm sure I've got the odd spare pi :)