Raspberry Pis - anyone else?

The brother called me tonight. He has wired his expensive pi zero to the relay board that connects to his stair lights.

Apparently, the start self test sequence worked a couple of times, but now all the relays just click and get hot! I connected remotely and the software seems to be working fine, but the relays aren't. He has also mentioned 12v & 6v, although I can't work out where he has put these.

He is sending the whole lot to me for diagnosis, but I've ordered another zero, just in case my instructions weren't totally idiot proof.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

tgo

War Hero
I saw that, seems to be a bit against the spirit of the original Pi concept, if it gets much more bits bolted on it'll just be another micro PC like device. The Pi4 already runs 2x as hot as all the other versions and really needs active cooling.

Harrumph :D (says me with the 4Gb pi 4)

The 64 bit version of the OS will be useful as well. I have been running benchmarks on my RPi 3, and the same program running on 64 bit Ubuntu is significantly faster than when running on the same Pi with 32 bit Raspbian.

I saw that, seems to be a bit against the spirit of the original Pi concept, if it gets much more bits bolted on it'll just be another micro PC like device. The Pi4 already runs 2x as hot as all the other versions and really needs active cooling.

Harrumph :D (says me with the 4Gb pi 4)
8GB of RAM is plenty for what most people would use. If I was just doing things like browsing the Internet and email I would seriously consider whether the 8GB RPi was good enough for use as a desktop. I would probably want a desktop version of Ubuntu though, rather than the Raspbian OS. I would have to test it in that configuration to be sure though.

The 64 bit version of the OS will be useful as well. I have been running benchmarks on my RPi 3, and the same program running on 64 bit Ubuntu is significantly faster than when running on the same Pi with 32 bit Raspbian.

8GB of RAM is plenty for what most people would use. If I was just doing things like browsing the Internet and email I would seriously consider whether the 8GB RPi was good enough for use as a desktop. I would probably want a desktop version of Ubuntu though, rather than the Raspbian OS. I would have to test it in that configuration to be sure though.
Just got a notification for that from "pi-hut". Fair bit of kit for the money!!

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

The email came through at 08:00. My order, from a layby on the A38, went through at 08:01. I use a 4gb pi 4 as my main desktop, so the extra ram will be useful.

How come the design, build and stock distribution can be kept quiet for the pi, yet the rest of the world seems to leak information?

The email came through at 08:00. My order, from a layby on the A38, went through at 08:01. I use a 4gb pi 4 as my main desktop, so the extra ram will be useful.

How come the design, build and stock distribution can be kept quiet for the pi, yet the rest of the world seems to leak information?

The Raspberry Pi foundation are a fairly small team and they don't employ a huge marketing organisation whose sole job is to arrange strategic leaks to the press.

I saw that, seems to be a bit against the spirit of the original Pi concept, if it gets much more bits bolted on it'll just be another micro PC like device.
It always was ;)

Good question!!

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

The 8gb arrived yesterday using the same card as the 4gb, it booted fine, although it did get a bit confused on screen settings until rebooted. Nothing different, but multiple tabs seemed smoother, or maybe it was just me.

This morning, I installed the 64 bit beta OS. Libre office is not there by default, but quickly installed. File transfers are quicker and multiple tab work is better.

Sketchup web version will now load the big files that it couldn't before, which was my main reason for upgrading.

The 8gb arrived yesterday using the same card as the 4gb, it booted fine, although it did get a bit confused on screen settings until rebooted. Nothing different, but multiple tabs seemed smoother, or maybe it was just me.

This morning, I installed the 64 bit beta OS. Libre office is not there by default, but quickly installed. File transfers are quicker and multiple tab work is better.

Sketchup web version will now load the big files that it couldn't before, which was my main reason for upgrading.

And what's your plan for this new Pi? Any project in mind or just kicking its tires?

And what's your plan for this new Pi? Any project in mind or just kicking its tires?
It's my main computer. In the kitchen with two monitors. I do all my software development on it, either on board or via SSH to another pi.

3d design, circuit design, remote 3d printing.

It's my main computer. In the kitchen with two monitors. I do all my software development on it, either on board or via SSH to another pi.

Interesting, I never thought of using one as a desktop replacement to be honest with you but I am now!!

I think that a good many of us would be interested in hearing about how well the 8GB RPi-4 works out as a desktop machine. I might seriously consider it myself.

The only times I've used a pc this year have been when Sketchup struggled on the pi, and when writing the Sd cards for the pi desktop.

The second monitor is a 7 inch display mounted below the main screen. I put progress boxes, file managers and the 3d printer monitor feed to it. A Pimoroni fan shim is fitted on the pi to keep the temperature down. I built my own fan but the pimoroni is a bit smaller.

128gb USB and 1tb remote server for storage, but I mainly back up to Google Drive. I have a sound system plugged in, but don't use it much, although it is useful for Audacity WAV editing.

All my projects in the past year have been designed on the pi. LibreCAD for 2d & Sketchup for 3d. LibreOffice for documentation, sheets, flowcharts and pcb/vero circuit design. I also designed a pcb and put a pen on the 3d printer to draw it onto the board.

The pi is just behind the keyboard so I have the gpio pins to hand. Underneath the keyboard is a PSU giving 12v & 5v with relay boards and a few pi zero for development fun. There is also a pi camera attached so I can play about with facial recognition. I've got it taking photos when it sees two faces at the moment.

The only thing that has really stretched the pi, until today, had been 3d design of a camper van. As I add detail design modules, it crashed a lot.

My normal Web surfing, forums and playing solitaire is done on the sofa on an Android tablet. I can look at all the pi in the household from the tablet.

E2A. All my software development has been done using nano in the terminal window or phpmyadmin for the SQL stuff.

One of my Pis is causing me some serious headaches at the moment as it wont stay connected to WiFi. It's a Pi4 running Piaware for aircraft tracking and sometimes it will stay connected for up to 10 days and other times it will disconnect once an hour for a few days then need a complete reboot before it will reconnect.

Any ideas?!

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Overheating?
Bad PSU or connection?

Overheating?
Doesnt seem to run warm at all no and I was running a Pi Monitoring service in it to keep an eye on temperature and never got above slightly warm.

Thinking to swap its Micro sd card into another Pi and run that for a few days and see if I get the same problem or not.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Can you try it with ethernet to see if it is the wireless or the software / SD card?

Latest Threads