• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Raspberry Pis - anyone else?

Anyone else getting into these things? I’ve started hobbying with Pis and to my surprise at the weekend realised that I have 3 x Pi 3s and 5 x Pi Zeros, all chuntering away on separate things, in particular:

Kali Linux, so I can practice some ethical (and not so ethical) hacking.
VNC and SSH
Pi Zero that I’m trying to turn into a Wi-fi jammer.
Webcam (with a pan-tilt HAT).
NAS project
Media server
Motion detector
Sense Hat - because Tim Peake has one, obviously.

Additionally, I’ve got an old PC dishing up Lubuntu and am running VNC and SSH on my Ipads for remote control. My shed looks like NASA.

That and this monster PC running DCS, FSX, all sorts of other Steam stuff and a Vive. But VR and Pis are pretty incompatible at the moment! That said - I might get a BananaPi or Tinkerboard soon...

Dunno what the end goal is but it is fun to play around with this stuff when the Trout aren’t rising. My kids get pretty shit ICT teaching at school so I am quite keen to get them into coding and so on before they surrender to the shiny loveliness of IOS and W10.

Anyone else?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Mate of mine installed Linux, then a Mumble server.

Since in our group, I had the best internet, I had it on permanent loan, tweaked a few router ports and about five or six of us had our own low latency chat system

For the Pi, it depends on if you've got any stuff spare. You'll need:

A Raspberry Pi
An SD Card
A USB Keyboard
A 3A USB power supply
A micro USB cable
An HDMI display (TV, monitor)
An HDMI lead

You might also want

Raspberry Pi case
A USB mouse
An SD Card reader/writer

Now, you might have some of the above, particularly if you have a desktop PC, other USB devices (phones, kindle, etc).

If not, as long as you have a TV/monitor, the rest should be under £100.

Time? Depends on what you want to learn, and how complicated you want it to get (simple web apps vs 3D games programming for example).

A Raspberry Pi
An SD Card
A USB Keyboard
A 3A USB power supply
A micro USB cable
An HDMI lead

You might also want

Raspberry Pi case
A USB mouse
An SD Card reader/writer

Now, you might have some of the above, particularly if you have a desktop PC, other USB devices (phones, kindle, etc).

Time? Depends on what you want to learn, and how complicated you want it to get (simple web apps vs 3D games programming for example).
Maybe a short howto, if you've got the time?

A Raspberry Pi
An SD Card
A USB Keyboard
A 3A USB power supply
A micro USB cable
An HDMI lead

You might also want

Raspberry Pi case
A USB mouse
An SD Card reader/writer

Fifty-five of your English pounds to you, Sir:

Raspberry Pi 3 Starter Kit

Plus you'll need a mouse and keyboard. Unless you're using it for media playing/Kodi and the like, then

a cheeky £7.99 for this

Pigeon murderer! Speckled Jim my childhood companion.

I would also like a how to guide. Have most of the stuff kicking about bar the actual pi part.
Can it be used for interface work? Looking at projects to help the disabled.
Yes, I tinker about with arduino and its interface software, not to hard to learn either. Works great with the PI also pretty much any other form of PC.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
JoeCivvie The Intelligence Cell 12
exnorthener1 The NAAFI Bar 35
vvaannmmaann Cookery 25