• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Rare Set up for Auction

He was granted permission by the MoD. During the Gulf War he was with the 82nd ABN and got up to allsorts with them. They're a genuine set and all above board, Baz will be known to quite a few on here.

Personally I don't think they should have granted him permission, they don't for others. Looks daft having that yank combat badge on there. Just my humble opinion.

Personally I don't think they should have granted him permission, they don't for others. Looks daft having that yank combat badge on there. Just my humble opinion.
I agree it does look strange (the CIB) but there's quite a few knocking about now with the Bronze Star up.

Very nice set - For those with the money. I did see a GSM (NI bar) & South Atlantic medal from a guy in 3 para, alongside his red book fetch £1,500 on Ebay, so I imagine this set would storm it. Hope the sale goes well.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
He was granted permission by the MoD. During the Gulf War he was with the 82nd ABN and got up to allsorts with them. They're a genuine set and all above board, Baz will be known to quite a few on here.
Point of pedantry: It's the Queen who grants permission for foreign medals to be worn - albeit on the advice of the MoD. It's quite normal in the case of gallantry or bravery awards. It's the foreign operational or service medals that are not usually allowed.

I believe I had the privilege of meeting him. If it's the same guy he was an instructor at Brecon and we mobilised through there on the way to the Balkans.

I doubt Ashworth will take them, given that his theme for many years has been VC and GC-btw, the Ashcroft Gallery at IWM is a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours-and this group, whilst a stunner, will probably not go to him.

As a modern group, it's unique: thrice decorated and a living recipient. Even his Gulf 1991 with clasp named to PARA is as rare as hen's teeth.

Could well break the 100k barrier if two or more get into to a bidding war.

Good luck to him-that's the kids taken care of.

S

swampmonster

He was my DS at Jnr Brecon.... pretty much a legend :eek:) good DS/bloke, hope he gets the amount he wants...

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have to admit I don't really understand why people collect medals. I quite like my own and we have some family medals but what would you do with some body else's gongs?

It would strike me as very odd owning the medals of some one who is still alive or indeed who's close relatives where still around. I can imagine that I would feel uneasy if I was visiting some one's house and he invited me to view these medals.

Good if they end up in a museum. Hope he gets a sackful of dosh for them.

Latest Threads