Rare colour pictures from 1900

A series of fifty rarely seen colour pictures taken in Paris between 1900 and 1937.

I am not sure things have improved since.....

53-rue-cambon-1918.jpeg

auberge-du-compas-dor-1914.jpeg

famille-rue-du-pot-de-fer-24-juin-1914.jpeg

ier-arr-marchc3a8-aux-fleurs-aux-halles86-rue-rambuteau-21-juin-1914.jpeg

invalides-1918.jpg

place-de-la-concorde-14-novembre-1918.jpg

place-du-caire-1914-stc3a9phane-passet.jpg

pont-alexandre-iii.jpg

quai-du-louvre-1920.jpg

rue-de-bic3a8vre.jpeg

sans-abris-au-bord-de-la-seine.jpeg

xvic2b0-arr-jardins-potagers-quai-d_auteuil-actuel-quai-louis-blc3a9riot-avec-en-face-le-pont-de-grenelle-et-la-statue-de-la-libertc3a9-28-juin-1918-auguste-lc3a9on.jpeg

xvic2b0-arr-station-de-mc3a9tro-auteuil-boulevard-exelmans-1er-mai-1920-frc3a9dc3a9ric-gadmer.jpeg

More here:

http://lejournaldusiecle.com/2013/0...rs-au-debut-des-annees-1900/#jp-carousel-4277

I'm aware that colour film was available in the 1920's but not as early as 1900. Who made it ? My dad used to be an avid photographer and I still have his tinting set.

for some reason can't see the icons for "like" etc
But have the sentiment anyway.
oh found them now!

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
are they slides that have been re touched into colour ?
I know a lot of my fathers slide were hand coloured
nice to see they still have the same taxicabs !!!
I have some black and white ones taken in Italy in the 1890s the quality is amazing, probably a credit the the camera and the photographer

I have some black and white ones taken in Italy in the 1890s the quality is amazing, probably a credit the the camera and the photographer

These pictures were taken using the Autochromes Lumière principle:

The Autochrome Lumière is an early color photography process. Patented in 1903 by the Lumière brothers in France and first marketed in 1907, it was the principal color photography process in use before the advent of subtractive color film in the mid-1930s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autochrome_Lumière

The famous "Autochrome du Commandant Tournassoud" used the same process. The link below shows plenty of those full-colours pictures.

grandguerre02.jpg

https://www.google.be/search?q=Autochrome du Commandant Tournassoud&client=firefox-a&hs=XKC&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&biw=1920&bih=976&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ynTLVOW8NsHSOoGbgIgP&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
These pictures were taken using the Autochromes Lumière principle:

The Autochrome Lumière is an early color photography process. Patented in 1903 by the Lumière brothers in France and first marketed in 1907, it was the principal color photography process in use before the advent of subtractive color film in the mid-1930s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autochrome_Lumière

The famous "Autochrome du Commandant Tournassoud" used the same process. The link below shows plenty of those full-colours pictures.

grandguerre02.jpg

https://www.google.be/search?q=Autochrome du Commandant Tournassoud&client=firefox-a&hs=XKC&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&biw=1920&bih=976&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ynTLVOW8NsHSOoGbgIgP&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ
amazing image quality
I did not realise colour film was available so early
typical of you French people to beat us to things !!
only 2 years later that Bicycle mechanic from Cambrai went and flew the channel in his home made aircraft !!
Bleriot is my favourite frenchman half genius half nutcase

amazing image quality
I did not realise colour film was available so early
typical of you French people to beat us to things !!
only 2 years later that Bicycle mechanic from Cambrai went and flew the channel in his home made aircraft !!
Bleriot is my favourite frenchman half genius half nutcase

I am sure you have noticed the high tech secret ingredient of the autochrome: microscopic grains of potato starch dyed red-orange, green, and blue-violet.....

:smile:

Interesting! I've just been in Paris last November and recognise a few of these places! Some places look familiar, but some have changed, a lot, e.g. the view across the River Seine without the highrise buildings at Quai de Grenelle. Or the old Trocadero building, as seen from beneath de Tour Eiffel.

The Frogs and their vino . . . . deary deary me, you couldn't make it up:
sans-abris-au-bord-de-la-seine.jpeg

. . . . . and just look at this old cnut - you can tell from the shadows it's barely past breakfast-time, and he's farkin' legless already:
invalides-1918.jpg

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Colour movie film came about in the 1930s; Germany's AGFA were leading proponents.

By 1945 you can find this sort of quality:

One thing that stands out is the effectiveness of that German lozenge pattern camouflage on those captured guns. It's almost the precursor to digital.

Colour movie film came about in the 1930s; Germany's AGFA were leading proponents.

By 1945 you can find this sort of quality:

This was released 6 years earlier (while Europe was busy being invaded . . . ) and was a shitload more fun:
Them Yanks had time for fun in 1939 . . . .

Anyone know what the medals are for?

The one on the left is the Medaille Militaire. I was going to come out with some witticism about them being the Order of the White Banner etc. but thought better of it, as the old feller has three more than me.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The one on the left is the Medaille Militaire. I was going to come out with some witticism about them being the Order of the White Banner etc. but thought better of it, as the old feller has three more than me.

But on the positive side, you have more limbs than he does.

I thought they were colourised at first but the stunning quality and depth of detail goes well beyond that of simple RGB colourisation.

I was going to bed but now I am engrossed.

Every picture is clearly identifiable as Paris and I have no doubt that some of the views look pretty similar today.

Great thread.