Rapes are serious problem in American armed forces.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/06/AR2005050601355.html

According to Washington Post

Reported Cases Of Sexual Assault In Military Increase

1,700 Are Processed in '04 Amid New Policies

By Ann Scott Tyson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, May 7, 2005; Page A03

The number of reported sexual assaults in the military grew in 2004 and is expected to continue to rise next year as a result of new policies intended to remove barriers to victims coming forward, the Pentagon announced yesterday.
"Our concern is that sexual assault within the military continues to escalate," said Christine Hansen, executive director of the Miles Foundation Inc., a private, nonprofit organization that offers assistance to victims.
However, Pentagon officials said they believe the increased numbers primarily reflect efforts to raise awareness and sensitivity toward the problem. "We believe that due to greater emphasis and focus, down through the chain of command, to encourage victims to come forward -- that may account in some measure for the numbers," Richard said. He added that "we expected to see a spike."
"Regrettably . . . the military continues to use nonjudicial punishment when a crime has been committed," Hansen said. "That may preclude that individual from being listed as a sexual offender." A court-martial in recent years took place in only about 2 or 3 percent of military sexual-assault cases, she said.
So rapists in American military uniform know that probability to be jailed is very low.

One of the most troubling aspects of the assault problem is the emergence of cases in which U.S. troops -- men as well as women -- are abused by other service members in hostile environments such as Iraq and Afghanistan. Reported sexual assaults have risen in the Central Command region, which includes the Middle East and Central Asia, from 24 in 2002 and 94 in 2003 to 123 in 2004, according to figures the Miles Foundation obtained from the Pentagon's Joint Task Force on Sexual Assault Prevention and Response.

In many U.S. military camps in Iraq, for example, signs are posted in female showers and other locations requiring U.S. servicewomen to be in the company of a "battle buddy," especially at night, for their safety.
Why do you think 'Joint Task Force on Sexual Assault Prevention and Response' was created by Pentagon? Probably because there are too many rapists in US army.

As to British army (also RAF and RN), then I believe that this problem is not actual. I suppose that rapes committed by British military are very rare (if ever took place in recent years).

Why do you think situation is so different in American and British armies?

PS. I'm unaware about cases of rape in British army. But if you have any information about it them I'm ready to change my position.

I do not know how recent the interview was but there were six female USAF cadets (some now ex-cadets) whom came forward to speak about their sexual assaults whilst in their academies. They were all first years and according to what they said they were attacked by more senior cadets whilst on USAF property. Other seniors knew what was occurring but chose to side with the perpetrators or assist in covering up the incident. When the women eventually came forward they were not only victimised but threatened by the chain of command and finally had charges laid against them (fraternisation, sex on base, drinking on base etc), often as a result of the information given in their statement about the assault, and then expelled from the academy. The perpetrators went unpunished as the charges were deemed "not able to be proven to a sufficient standard in this case due to a lack of corroborative witness statements". The investigations into the allegations were conducted internally, usually solely by the base commander, and their decision to have the allegations investigated further was their decision alone. Part of the problem, according to the women, was that the system in these academies was geared towards ensuring incidents were kept silenced and that anyone speaking out would result in not only the individual being punished but their entire squadron also. There were also threats of "consequences" to the careers of the women if they continued to press for further investigation into their assault(s).

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/1978136/detail.html

7NEWS Investigates: Rape Victims At Air Force Academy Afraid To Report

A John Ferrugia Investigation Aired Feb. 13, 2003
Air force academy officials have responded to a 7NEWS investigation which revealed that some female cadets who report being raped are themselves punished.

That investigation is focused on women like Ruth. She said she was sexually assaulted as a cadet, decided not to report it and the trauma nearly destroyed her.

"I wanted to be an astronaut. I have always had a fascination with space and enjoyed science, engineering," Ruth said.

Ruth is a former Air Force Academy cadet who is now attending a small college in upstate New York. In high school, she worked hard to make it to Colorado Springs to achieve her dream.

"I remember every night worrying about it and praying that my grades are OK," she said.

Ruth's hard work paid off. But soon after arriving at the academy, she got an ominous warning from one of their upper class trainers about sexual assault at the academy.

"This woman said actually, 'It happened to me when I was a freshman. It happened to me when I was a sophomore. One situation was date rape and the other situation was just straight-up rape.' And I am thinking, 'This woman has got to be nuts because there is no way that could happen here. It's the military," Ruth said.

But as she came to know other female cadets, she began to hear the same story over and over again and get the same advice.
Ruth was raped (as many other women). So can we regard American Army as professional army of rapists?

Hey Komrade, give it a rest already...NO Army is perfect and trying to compare rapes in the American Army and what occurred during WWII is not possible.

Atrocities, HUGE ones were committed by Soviet forces, during WWII. Period, end of story. Argue, fight, hold your breath until you turn blue, however it won't change history. Its nice you stand up for your country and all, however, the BS is getting really old...

Let it go already.

Sergey
Disinformationska is sooo eighties don't you think??

How many conscript recruits to the Russian Armed Forces are sodomized annually? No, it's not a misprint, I mean "each year"...

Cuddles said:
Sergey
Disinformationska is sooo eighties don't you think??

How many conscript recruits to the Russian Armed Forces are sodomized annually? No, it's not a misprint, I mean "each year"...
Dear Cuddles!

How many? I think that probably no one. Maybe there are few isolated cases but unlikely. In Russian military tradition homosexualism is a great sin. Fate of homosexualists in Russian army is sad. They could be severely beaten and anyway they would be obstructed.

Moreover, homosexualists have right not to be in the Russian army.

"Echo of Moscow" is well-known and very popular pro-Western radio station. Colin Powel, ms.Rice, mr.Straw gave interviews to this radio then they visited Moscow.

http://echo.msk.ru/news/13329.phtml

Кандидат медицинских наук из этого института брал взятки от призывников, которые хотели уклониться от службы в Вооруженных силах. Как отмечает агентство ИТАР-ТАСС, всем своим клиентам доктор ставил диагноз - истинный гомосексуализм. С таким заключением врачей в российской армии не служат.
The candidate of medical sciences from this institute took bribes from the draftees, who wanted to deviate from service in the armed forces. As the agency ITAR- TASS notes, to all his clients doctor made diagnosis - true homosexuality. They do not serve with this conclusion of doctors in the Russian army.

Phil306 said:
Hey Komrade, give it a rest already...NO Army is perfect and trying to compare rapes in the American Army and what occurred during WWII is not possible.
Fully agree. It is impossible to compare. So let's forget in this thread about Red army. There is another thread in historical part of this Forum to discuss all related problems.

But comparison with modern British army is a fair question. Why do you think situation in British army is more, more better than in American one?

I would be very pleased to hear your answer.

Why do you think situation in British army is more, more better than in American one?
Because our women are more, more uglier.

IF it's true it would suggest that there's a problem with the ethos that these cadets are being indoctrinated with and a distinct lack of personal integrity and - dare I say it - honour.

Oh and KGB how many Russian cadets end up dead in training these days and have they discovered the miraculous invention that are socks yet?

Bladensburg said:
Oh and KGB how many Russian cadets end up dead in training these days and have they discovered the miraculous invention that are socks yet?
Apparently a fair few:

28.07.2004 - RFE/RL: Suicides in country's armed services increased by 38 percent during the first six months of 2004; 109 servicemen have died from suicide since the start of this year, of whom 60 were driven to suicide by their commanders

“Russia's military prosecutor-general yesterday said suicides in the country's armed services increased by nearly 40 percent during the first six months of this year, compared to the same period last year.

Chief Military Prosecutor Aleksandr Savenkov said 109 servicemen have died from suicide since the start of this year, which he said was a 38 percent increase from 2003.

Savenkov said 60 soldiers were driven to suicide by their commanders.
The report itself, entitled The Wrongs of Passage, details several horrific cases; of a conscript being stabbed with a penknife for refusing to obey his "ded" and of another being forced to simulate homosexual acts.

Humiliated in front of his peers and consumed with shame, the latter took his own life.

Quote:
Why do you think situation in British army is more, more better than in American one?

are army women defo more uglier.!!

Why does this sergey fellow pop up all the time , He is a very serious bloke is'nt he . Sergey go away you dont have the humour to be here .

just keep it serious-ish<<<notice it says seoruis ish

sergey way 2 serious

Sergei even responds in total seriousness when I'm clearly ripping the pish! It's great fun Sergei baiting!

Perhaps he actually meant that rape is a common problem in the Armenian army?

I didn't know Rupert Brooke was Russian.

PartTimePongo said:
Because our women are more, more uglier.
Dear PT Pongo!

I'm very sorry, but I dare to disagree with you. First of all the most ugly momen are in Russian army. Further, British armed forces are probably the best in the world. There are so many brave men, real heroes in British military uniform. Most of them (if not all) are handsom lads and I believe that many women and girls are dreaming about warriors decorated by MC or VC. So there is no need to rape anybody. Would you go to hunt foxes if foxes wait for you at the door of your house?

Anyway, our American friends know about the problem and extraordinary efforts are applying to resolve it. So let's wish them good luck. Personally, I'm sure that few years later level of crimes on sexual ground in American armed forces will be minimal, almost invisible.