RAOC sliced bread

The_Poltroon

Clanker
Mrs Poltroon threw together a casserole for dinner this evening that reminded me of range stew.

To accompany the meal she plonked down a loaf of bread she bought from the local shop and grunted “bread there if you want it”

The bread was identical in shape, texture and taste to that stuff made by the RAOC that used to make an appearance in BAOR cookhouses in the late 1980’s

Can anyone confirm where this was made (I’m thinking Herford) and was it true that the colour of the writing on the waxy packaging indicated what day of the week it was produced?

Maybe you were one of these RAOC ‘bakers’ and if so can you explain to me how you managed to make such a simple staple taste of absolutely nothing??

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
The colour of the bread indicated the day of the week it was produced. I have always remembered that it stated said day of the week. Or a meringue?

What it didn't tell you was which week, month, year...

Truxx

LE
It was not just the colour of the wrappers - it actually said a day.

I am, however, not sure what day the text actually referred to. The day it was made? the day it was issued? the day it appeared in the cookhouse?

If the last one, then there was a 1 in 7 chance of it being fresh.

ETA beaten to it by another old fart like me.

dontenn

War Hero
buy decent bread, waitrose have a good selection of quality breads

When I was at Ord Svc's Viersen as the duty NCO I sometimes used to get woken up at ungodly o'clock by the NCOIC Bedford MK, flour, for the transporting of. Then I would have to go and stumble around the CDP warehouse, find the stuff, hotwire a stacker, load it up, and send them on their way with a fresh flask of coffee courtesy of the German guards.

The thing is the paperwork never actually used to say flour, it used to say something like enhanced flour, or flour substitute. Sounded somewhat chemical and dodgy to me.

They used to haul it off up country somewhere in the direction of Bielefeld, can't remember exactly where.

The best loaves I ever had came fresh from the field bakery.

Mrs Poltroon threw together a casserole for dinner this evening that reminded me of range stew.

To accompany the meal she plonked down a loaf of bread she bought from the local shop and grunted “bread there if you want it”

The bread was identical in shape, texture and taste to that stuff made by the RAOC that used to make an appearance in BAOR cookhouses in the late 1980’s

Can anyone confirm where this was made (I’m thinking Herford) and was it true that the colour of the writing on the waxy packaging indicated what day of the week it was produced?

Maybe you were one of these RAOC ‘bakers’ and if so can you explain to me how you managed to make such a simple staple taste of absolutely nothing??
Crumbs, you'll need to ask one of the old crusties.

There was a field bakery near the big Yank airbase, whose location I forget. Hanau or Giessen I think. I drove past it in the late 90s, it was long closed but still had RAOC Field Bakery Number 2 ( or 3), bricked into the side of it

If we were lucky, we used to get a loaf of RAOC bread issues on the panzers on Soltau with the four man ration packs. I mentioned to the Q Bloke one day that it was Friday but he was issuing Monday bread. Stop complaining he said, it’s next Monday’s!

RAOC fresh rolls in NI mid/late 70s.

Admittedly at Oh Christ Double Oh on a tit-freezing November morning with a couple of rashers of fat bacon in them.

Food of the Gods.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
FatTulip RLC 0
dingerr The Intelligence Cell 15
Sir Mare RLC 10

Latest Threads