Ranulph Feinnes on Daily Politics

Ranulph Feinnes has just done a piece in support of the Armed Forces, decrying such things as the recent hospital debacle.

He also said much that I have done on these pages - note His WMD observations.

He can be watched again here in a couple of hours

Ranulph Feinnes?

Well I like him in Harry Potter but he really should stick to acting rather than getting involved in politics.

The_Cad said:
Ranulph Feinnes?

Well I like him in Harry Potter but he really should stick to acting rather than getting involved in politics.
That's Ralph Fiennes, as I'm sure you know. :wink: And wasn't Ranulph one of THEM (TA) or have I been boozing too much again?

Yes... he played Voldermort... come on Sven... everyone knows THAT....

Wah!

DPM_Sheep said:
The_Cad said:
Ranulph Feinnes?

That's Ralph Fiennes, as I'm sure you know. :wink: And wasn't Ranulph one of THEM (TA) or have I been boozing too much again?
Far too much - He said he was in a Scottish tank regiment, then seconded to the Saudis to help them fight the commies

Was one of something. It's what he based lots of his books on - semi-fiction I think he calls most of his work.

Apparently not too popular at Hereford any more after suggesting that lots of the old boys who died deaths of a non-clandestine nature ie accidents, etc were in fact offed by a secret sect seeking revenge for Aden/Oman things, as written by Feinnes in "Feather Men".

Strange bloke by all accounts, but speaks a good game in defence of armed forces more often than not. Mind you, so does Jeremy Clarkson, but it doesn't mean anyone listens....

I tought it was just more 'sound-bite' reporting. There was no opportunity to go into any detail about the problems faced by HM armed forces.

That is certainly not a criticism of RP, but of the BBC. I do hope it adds to a growing public awareness, but i am not going to hold my breath.

Ski.

django_strikes said:
Was one of something. It's what he based lots of his books on - semi-fiction I think he calls most of his work.

Apparently not too popular at Hereford any more after suggesting that lots of the old boys who died deaths of a non-clandestine nature ie accidents, etc were in fact offed by a secret sect seeking revenge for Aden/Oman things, as written by Feinnes in "Feather Men".

Strange bloke by all accounts, but speaks a good game in defence of armed forces more often than not. Mind you, so does Jeremy Clarkson, but it doesn't mean anyone listens....
RT-W-F is v. good news. :lol:

But he was always far too "lively" for the Army, even at Hereford. 8) Indeed, for some of his past and planned exploits, he is quite possibly clinically certifiable. But life would be far duller without him and the very few like him. :twisted:

His spiel today was something we can all be grateful for; and I wish there were many more like him. :D

Royal Scots Greys, then 22 SAS, then Sultan of Omans Army. Don't think he was ever TA though.

Top notch nutcase though.

Trevelez said:
GwaiLo said:
Royal Scots Greys, then 22 SAS, then Sultan of Omans Army. Don't think he was ever TA though.

He cut off a frost bitten digit with a hacksaw in his shed!
Feckin cold shed, then. He should put a night storage heater in.

Yeah appears to be a top bloke, but then if his "stories" are questionable then do some of his antics detract from the good message he puts out?

I am slightly biaised as I know one of the families who he mentioned in Feather Men - they were less than pleased that he implied their husband/dad was assassinated and had not died in the Black mountains during a training march (which he did).

BUT, he does do some crazy stuff, stuff that I could/would never do and so he gets my respect for that and for sticking up for HMF - he could of course choose to be less than enthusiastic about Armed Forces.

GwaiLo said:

He passed selection for 22 as an officer but later admitted cheating during E&E phase. Then got kicked out of 22 for blowing up Doctor Doolittle's film set.

He joined 21 SAS(R) as a trooper until some time in the late 1980's.

All this is in his autobiography "Living Dangerously". Well worth a read.

Trevelez said:
GwaiLo said:

He cut off a frost bitten digit with a hacksaw in his shed!
If anyone thinks RT-W-F is nutty, they should have met his (late) first wife, the amazing Ginny Pepper. A quite wonderful girl.

I met them both when they were first engaged, and Ginny was as tough as they come. Easily able to pass SAS selection in her own right, incredibly fit, amazingly strong - and v. pretty and an excellent cook,too.

One night in the wilds of the West Highlands, she and Ran couldn't agree who'd drive home. The argument raged. They eventually left with him working the pedals, and her sitting on his lap and steering. An MGB disappeared at high speed into the night.

He is now a lot more tame than he used to be. Mad bugger in his prime . . . :roll: 8) :twisted:

caubeen said:
If anyone thinks RT-W-F is nutty, they should have met his (late) first wife, the amazing Ginny Pepper. A quite wonderful girl.

I met them both when they were first engaged, and Ginny was as tough as they come. Easily able to pass SAS selection in her own right, incredibly fit, amazingly strong - and v. pretty and an excellent cook,too.

quote]

KERRRRRRASSSHH!

The unmistakable sound of a name being dropped :D