Ranks and Titles.

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by mexe205, Apr 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was wondering since the reshuffle of the Corps if we maintained the somewhat glorious titles e.g. Master Driver, Ocean Watchkeeper,Conductor of Ordnance,Master Butcher, etc. ??

2. Just been reminded ,YEOMAN OF SIGNALS, MASTER GUNNER,and of course MASTER AT ARMS, QUEENS HARBOURMASTER(Jacks)

3. I always fancied the title;

EISENBAHNBETRIEBSLEITER which was the German title for the OC (Major) 79 RAILWAY SQUADRON RCT based at Monchengladbach. In English it translated to ITS MY MILITARY RAILWAY AND I AM THE FAT CONTROLLER AND I RUN IT MY WAY, (or OPERATING MANAGER).

The QMSI title was PRUFER (EXAMINER).

I had many tiles but the best one was; GLEISKLEINKRAFTWAGENBEDIENER, (OPERATOR OF GANGER TROLLEYS)

or

KLEINLOCKBEDIENER, (DRIVER OF SMALL LOCOMOTIVES)

4. Crackers..did they just shout..."Hey you!"

5. No it was all hand signals, whistles and coloured lights, (bells on the old German Locos).

6. Guessing you were RCT trains?

7. Oh for fuck's sake, you've done it now. Bugsy will be on his way to correct your translations in minutes few...

;)

8. I was a Military Railwayman by trade and spent most of my time with 79 Railway Squadron RCT in MG.

I had a short spell in Port Stanley working with the mexi crews and Port Ops as the Section Commander of the Heavy Lift Section of 426 Troop RCT (the old argie 16 tonners) in early 1983.

I had a few good nights in the RAZZ INN by Bravo Slip with the Mexi Crews and Port Ops.

9. FOREMAN OF SIGNALS pre-dates the YEOMAN....fwiw

10. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Foreman? Isn't that too sexist for toays "modern" Army.
    :police: :police: :police: :police:

11. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

So what is it now? YEOPERSON?

12. Surely that should be "Yeo, dude" to fit in with the modern world?
    Hang around the docks long enough and I'm sure you'll meet a Harbour Mistress.

13. My old fella was WO1 Conductor RAOC at HQ 4 Div many years ago. Don't know if the appointment survived amalgamation.

14. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer