Ranking Le Carré’s Novels

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by alib, May 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

I'm a much greater fan of his earlier books and the Karla trilogy. I think his attempts in recent years to write stories which reflect the rather greater ambiguity of the modern political scene tend to fade to a finish and feel unfinished rather than end. As a result they irritate me.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Wholeheartedly agree with you there! I`ve just finished his latest, A Delicate Truth, and it was disappointing to say the least. The characters were so wooden with no depth, and as you correctly say, it petered out to nothing. It`s a pity he, or his publishers anyway, seem to be going down the James Patterson road....that is to say, just get the books out onto the shelves. Don`t worry about content....the mugs will buy it coz it`s got John Le Carre on the cover. Hope I`m wrong.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Couldn't agree more. Haven't read one of his books for years. Once the wall came down so did the plots of his books.
  4. Thread de-rail but you did mention Patterson! Christ, if there is one author that really makes my teeth itch it is that guy. How many times can a serial killer really come for your family. Jeeeeezzz.
  5. Cranial bubblegum for the masses.
  6. I've just finished 'A Delicate Truth'.

Very, very poor. An improbable plot line, caricature baddies, and dreadful editing.

I'd put 'Small Town In Germany' far higher up the list. It's one of his best, alongside 'The Naive and Sentimental Lover'

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  7. For a major work of fiction that, for many readers, had, and retains, the feel of a documentary history, " Tinker ,Tailor " has to be number 1.

Just my two penn'orth

Old Rat
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Re read the spy who came in from the cold recently. Has the feel of the early sixties in every page. The film was good as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I am currently a fan of nelson demille and would recommend a read, nice and thick while confusing enough in the plot to keep you going.
  10. Particularly thought The Honourable Schoolboy was the best of the Smiley books.
    The 'Old Craw' character was a particularly good depiction of the venerable Richard Hughes.
    If ever there was a testament to his standing from behind the Wall was when a Sov 'dip' relieved me of the then newly published Russia House at Islamabad airport for a couple of ponies.
    His books this millenium have sadly all been rather too sentimental/angry or just unreadable.
  11. This is a bit off thread but a book I have often thought Le Carre SHOULD write is the story of the young Smiley in the 1930s, his recruitment into MI6 and so on.
    In one of the books it's hinted that Smiley was placed undercover inside Nazi Germany.
    Think it would be a cracking read.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. IIRC His first written novels; A Call for the Dead , and A Murder of Quality, discussed some of Smiley's service life running agents pre-war.