Rank slides - why different style of pips on them?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Sgt_Alex, Aug 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, gents,
    There are some rank slides in my collection:
    [​IMG]

If I am not mistaken, left - Lt, for shirt, middle - Lt for jersey, right - 2nd Lt, for smock.

Can your help me to understand, what mean different style of pips on them?

2. Different regiments old bean. The one on the right is a generic one, the other two are specific to regiments. For example the RTR are white and brown on a black background, Ghurkhas have black ones on a green background, think some cav have yellow ones etc...

3. The 3D metal ones have differences too. I have seen light inf ones with a bugal horn in the centre while some of the household regiments used to have a 'brunswick' star which is slightly elongated. The pip' is actually a stylised star. I have a few sets of pips at home which I have aquired over the years. they are all from different regiments and all different. some have coloured enamel centres some have a different device. some are black or bronze, others are bright brass.

One of the wonderful things about the old regimental system was these little differences in uniform.

4. Yet I believe they all say "Tria Juncta in Uno". Well the RTR ones do anyway. Meaning 3 joined in one or something if my shaky (and non existent) latin ability is anything to go by.

5. I'm just looking at some of them now. some of the older looking ones have different mottos. I have found one set - they are a coppery colour and they have the tria juncta in uno motto. they have three circles arranged in a triangle as a central device surrounded by a wreath over a cross - you reckon those ones are tankie ones then

I have a black set with a motto that I can't make out but there aren't enough letters for it to be the same

6. Well those are the ones I got issued with, they could be a generic service dress set of pips?

The ones on my Mess Kit and obviously on my CS95 are different. I have a set of silver ones for my blues and they have the same motto.

Edited to add - Just done some research and it looks like that motto is the Order of the Bath and relates to the Three Countries which made up Great Britain, ie. England, Scotland and Wales. Stands for "Three joined in one".

7. The star or 'pip' is that of the Order of the Bath, except that certain regiments -notably the Guards - wear the stars of the Garter or other orders.
    As already stated. some regiments wear different coloured ones.

8. Thanks, gents,

What regiments wears these slides (left and center)?

If it is not a secret, of course :D

9. Edited to add - Just done some research and it looks like that motto is the Order of the Bath and relates to the Three Countries which made up Great Britain, ie. England, Scotland and Wales. Stands for "Three joined in one".[/quote]

I thought the three countries were England, Scotland and (+/- Northern, depending on time refered to) Ireland. Wales is a principality, therefore does not count. Don't wish to start a flame war over this, just curious.

10. You're quite right, I was being a mong. :oops:

As to the origins of the two sets of pips, think you'll find the first may be the Staffords or similar. Most Rank slides have some sort of distinguishing feature on them now, eg the Dukes had DWR on the slide, REME have REME embroidered on them.

The RTR wear these with pride!

[​IMG]

11. The centre and left slides look like Queen's Regt slides without the title 'Queen's' on them. The white and brown stars were worn up until about 1982 when the blue ones took over.

I suspect they were probably issued to ACF/CCF

12. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
    "Badges for field officers were first introduced in 1810, and for captains and subaltern officers in 1855. These badges consisted of (and still consist of) crowns and stars, the latter being more likely to be called 'pips' today (although this term is technically incorrect).

The star or 'pip' is that of the Order of the Bath, except in the Household regiments. The Life Guards, Blues and Royals, Grenadier Guards, Coldstream Guards and Welsh Guards use the star of the Order of the Garter, the Scots Guards that of the Order of the Thistle, and the Irish Guards that of the Order of St Patrick. The Crown has varied in the past, with the King's Imperial Crown being used from 1910 until it was replaced by the St Edward's Crown from the coronation of Elizabeth II in 1953."

13. The Royal Regt of Scotland Officers now have a Red Background to pips and crowns......talk of Red thread for SNCO/JNCO slides as well....
    Might look OK!

14. Haven't they had those for a while? I know of at least one Capt from D Coy who had those well before the amalgamation.

15. It really looks OK
    [​IMG]