Rank on Woolly Pulley

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Scavenger, Sep 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some help from an expert please...

Where does an NCO's badge of rank go on the woolly pulley?

Right arm or both? And how far down is the centre of the badge from the seam with the shoulder?

And finally - just the standard green backed chevrons as per No.2 dress?

Thanks muchly!

2. Top of right sleeve, and yes, large chevrons specific to corps\regiment.

3. If you fold the epaulet down towards the cuff the point goes in the center of the v at the top of the chevrons. This will give you the distance down the sleeve.

4. Apologies for the lack of precision, but:

09.021 No 13 Dress. Khaki worsted badges of rank and chevrons, of No 2 Dress size, are worn on the right arm of the jersey authorised to be worn.

09.034 Rank badges and chevrons. The following rules apply:

a. When worn on the forearm, the lower edge is to be 16.5cm from the bottom of the sleeve. Where chevrons are worn point uppermost, the point is to be at least 22.85cm from the bottom of the sleeve. However, in the case of a four-bar chevron (badge of appointment) worn on a greatcoat, the point is to be 27.94cm from the bottom of the sleeve.

b. When worn on the upper arm, the lower edge is to be 22.85cm from the top of the sleeve. Chevrons worn on the upper arm are worn point downwards. The distances from the top of the sleeve are to be:

(1) 1-bar 22.85cm.
    (2) 2-bar 24.13cm.
    (3) 3-bar 26.67cm.

5. Cheers guys!!

6. TAKE IT TO THE TAILORS AND LEAVE IT TO THEM

7. I've come to do some sewing, and cant believe these measurements are correct?!

"b. When worn on the upper arm, the lower edge is to be 22.85cm from the top of the sleeve. Chevrons worn on the upper arm are worn point downwards. The distances from the top of the sleeve are to be:

(1) 1-bar 22.85cm.
    (2) 2-bar 24.13cm.
    (3) 3-bar 26.67cm"

That puts them on my elbow!

8. Wear some of the old combat jacket rank flashes. You'll look like a Booty and dead Ally.

9. Yes, it does sound a bit off doesn't it? I think you'd have to subtract about 10cm from those measurements.

There must be someone at your unit who's in the know?

10. Dwarf walt :twisted:

It does seem a long way down

11. Ha ha, depends doesn't it.

Some units wear unit specific stripes, some where the white stripes, some have little badges added to teh stripes, like artillery guns, and some wear them on the right arm, some on both, some on little wee tarten arm bands or brassards.

Ask your CoC.... I am sure your Badge will know the craic.

12. thank you for concurring johnboyzzz! that must make us both dwarfs!

I have measured from the seam where the wool of the arm reaches the nylon of the shoulder patch. 24.13cm from there to the "lower edge" means the badge is at my elbow!

PS - I'm over 6'.

13. Nylon? Have they stooped that low?

But I've just pulled a tape measure out and it looks wrong. Maybe those are the measurements for a new pullover before it gets washed? ;)

14. Do what every one else does.

fold the epaulette down, and fit the stripes from where the epaulete ends.

15. The RAF have theirs on their epaulette, so the pilots coming in to land can see who is below