Rank Marking identification

#1
Gents

Sorry to intrude on your board, but at the Field of Remembrance I saw a Royal Signals female SNCO with the following on her arm. Crown over four stripes (point downwards). I have never seen this before and neither had any of the gunners with me.

Could anysome let me know this ladies rank please.

Many thanks
 
#2
I don't suppose she had a load of soldiers behind her making a racket with triangles and trumpets etc did she? You described the insignia of a Drum Major.
 
#3
OP_ACK said:
Gents

Sorry to intrude on your board, but at the Field of Remembrance I saw a Royal Signals female SNCO with the following on her arm. Crown over four stripes (point downwards). I have never seen this before and neither had any of the gunners with me.

Could anysome let me know this ladies rank please.

Many thanks
What dress was she in? and were they cloth chevrons? Some metal ones do look like 4 but in fact they are 3

if the point was upwards, I would say drum major, but never seen that one before..
 
#4
the_guru said:
I don't suppose she had a load of soldiers behind her making a racket with triangles and trumpets etc did she? You described the insignia of a Drum Major.
If she was this is what she would wear, these are the chevrons in question..point upwards, not downwards as described

 
#5
They look like Yank Insignia to me mate...

Edited to add

Good call BTW MTI, I just saw the 4 stripes etc...

I think the originators eyesight is as bad as mine :oops:
 
#9
From the Middlesex Yeomanry (R Sigs) website:

47 Squadron have a lanyard of parachute rigging in dull green and gold in remembrance of their service as airborne signals. Squadron collar badges and buttons are those of the Middlesex Yeomanry. Yeomanry stable belts and side hats have been retained by the Squadron. Officers wear a wire wove Middlesex Yeomanry cap badge with the side hat. The Squadron Quartermaster Sergeant has the distinction of wearing four chevrons.

Obviously enjoy their "peculiarities"!
 
#10
Definately Signals cap badge and NOT a drum major, point of chevrons was downwards. Yes they were cloth.

Only caught a glimpse of her in passing, and no I hadn't been to the pub, other Gunners with me also counted 4 stripes. It certainly made us look twice!!
 
#11
she was probably a SSgt, one of the yeomanry sqns wear the rank of the next one above. This only applies when wearing Yeomanry epulates, if their wearing normal ones they wear the correct rank
 
#14
4 chevrons pointing upwards shows the appointment of being bugle/drum/pipe major ,usually the rank of sgt, a small crown above shows he / :D she hold the rank of c/sgt, ssgt, large crown wo11 etc.
 
#15
Thanks for the information guys, except as I said the chevrons were point DOWN.

If I find anything out about this I will post it here.
 
#16
OP_ACK said:
Thanks for the information guys, except as I said the chevrons were point DOWN.

If I find anything out about this I will post it here.
Thats what I meant as well, chevrons point down. I have my suspicions its a Cav-Weh thing.