Rank Insignia

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by Potter94061, Jun 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This might seem like a daft question, but can anyone tell me the correct size/type of stars/pips worn by RA officers? I'm a newly commissoned ACF officer (badged RA) and want to make sure I've got the right type of pips on my SD, mess dress and blue jumper.

2. Blue jumpers are reserved for ex heavy regiments. You may be drifting on the edge of walt-dom there; unless you served in one in the past, in which case I withdraw my slur on your good name sir!

Simply go to Mess Kit online for your pips. Or telephone them, I can't remember the measurements exactly, but they'll know and are very quick at delivering.
  3. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

...and those serving away from RD.
  4. You got the right answer when you asked elsewhere ;)
  5. Get up to Larkhill, pop into the officers shop (phone QM first)
    Go to the PRI shop (hes on line too).
    Im not sure about blue jumpers these days but, buyer beware, they aint cheap.
    Is anyone else in your county badged RA and are they wearing blue jumpers?

edit to add, I got a copy of RA dress regs from the RA RHQ sent to me if you ask. And look here ARRSE forum
  6. I served with 40 Field Regt in the mid-70's and we had blue jumpers. Is the ex-Heavy Regt a (relatively) new thing?
  7. The YOs' shop has absolutely nothing to do with the QM. I will pm you the number. As for Blue Jumpers, they are worn by a number of Regiments (not just ex heavy, for instance 40 Regt Offrs and WOs wear them). And I have seen a number of Cadet Adults badged RA wearing them. Jumpers cost around £65 brand new, I will pm you the address of one of the suppliers.

I commend you on your attention to detail with regards to your dress and wish you all the best in your newly commissioned appointment.
  8. When I was a mere hug, not yet Cuddles, we wore blue garnseys in 101...we also wore them a few years later in 266.
  9. Dont forget the wire wool to remove the paint from the lace holes on your boots and brasso to make them shiny........... or has this little peculiarity now been kicked into touch :D
  10. 94 Locating wore them late 80's, along with Thunderbird hats for orificers
  11. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Ditto for 2nd right up until '93.

The Heavy Regt comment is absolute balls, I'm afraid. Until at least 93/94 it was at the CO's discretion as to whether JHW's or Blue Woolies were worn; and the same for side hats.
  12. Must have been uncomfortable :twisted:

Hat, coat, cabbie!

Attached Files:

13. Gremlin,
    Even the COs driver wore one at 2nd (to none) :wink:
  14. Happy to have my education broadened! I shall order one post haste for ICSC. Plenty of time to pay for it before I have to wear it!