Rank Badge Question

Bit ironic really since they were accused of bullying at an ATR!

FFBox said:
Bit ironic really since they were accused of bullying at an ATR!
I suggest you do some research before coming out with false accusations you cnut.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5053006.stm

Good conduct badges in the RN are awarded up to the rank of Petty Officer. A maximum of 3 are given for each 4 year period.

Pteranadon said:
Xplosiverab said:
Auld-Yin said:
Rumrunner said:
Xplosiverab said:
Good conduct stripes?
Yes Good Conduct Badges - only worn by ranks below substantive Cpl.
hes a full screw though isnt he :(
I think he is a Corporal in the Irish Guards = Lance Corporal.
He is a Lance Corporal, No-one in the Brigade of Guards wears one stripe. 'Corporals' are called Lance Sargeants and wear three.
And as far as I know Lance Sargeants do not wear Good Conduct Tapes!

Sorry.....Rab was being a mong there.

How do they earn these things then? Is it only a Brigade of Guards thing?

gearupflapup said:
The complexities of the Guard's rank structure again?
Its Guardsman, Cpl, Lance Sgt, Sgt, C/ Sgt right? Is there a Wikipedia entry for all this??
No its Guardsmans, Lance Corporal, Lance Sargeant, Sargeant & Colour Sargeant.

Nothing about rank in the Wikipedia 'Brigade of Guards' Stub

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...e_corporal

Lance-Corporal (L/Cpl or LCpl) is the lowest ranking non-commissioned officer in the British Army and Royal Marines, between Private and Corporal. The badge of rank is a single chevron worn on both sleeves, or on an epaulette on the front of the Combat Soldier 95 dress standard (although Lance-Corporals in the Foot Guards wear two chevrons and in the Household Cavalry two chevrons under a crown).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Sergeant

In the Foot Guards, all Corporals are automatically appointed Lance-Sergeant on their promotion, so lance sergeants perform the same duties as corporals in other regiments and are no longer really acting sergeants in anything but name.
Lance Sergeants wear three rank chevrons. In full dress, Foot Guards Lance Sergeants are distinguished from full Sergeants by their white chevrons (full Sergeants wearing gold).
So Lance Corporal (Not Corporal) wears two chevrons & Lance Sargents (Corporals) wear three

Nothing hard about it!

good conduct stripes...remember reading part 2 orders back in the 70's (or was it part ones?) like a little, super keen nig was supposed to, and being most shocked to see my name alongside many others, being awarded the inverted chevron to be worn on the cuff of your number 2's (left arm?) ..1 stripe equalled 2 years service, 2 was for 5 yrs and 3 was for feck knows? 7 or 9 i guess? ...but no one in RGJ ever wore them..only the band....probably a CO thing..like our being allowed to wear black capbadges all the time.

Years ago there was a Lance Jack with an arm full, (went from wrist to above elbow) featured in The Soldier. He held the record and had turned down promtion to full screw as he was Proud of his Good Conduct tapes.
john

jonwilly said:
Years ago there was a Lance Jack with an arm full, (went from wrist to above elbow) featured in The Soldier. He held the record and had turned down promtion to full screw as he was Proud of his Good Conduct tapes.
john
I remember that! Good Lord that was in the 1960s, L/Cpl with well over 20 years service, I believe he was Post NCO at the Wessex Bde Depot (D&D I think).

Busterdog said:
jonwilly said:
john
I remember that! Good Lord that was in the 1960s, L/Cpl with well over 20 years service, I believe he was Post NCO at the Wessex Bde Depot (D&D I think).
Yes, he was Devon and Dorsets. Can't remember his name but his uniform is on display in The Keep Museum in Dorchester.

jimmy_jazz said:
good conduct stripes...remember reading part 2 orders back in the 70's (or was it part ones?) like a little, super keen nig was supposed to, and being most shocked to see my name alongside many others, being awarded the inverted chevron to be worn on the cuff of your number 2's (left arm?) ..1 stripe equalled 2 years service, 2 was for 5 yrs and 3 was for feck knows? 7 or 9 i guess? ...but no one in RGJ ever wore them..only the band....probably a CO thing..like our being allowed to wear black capbadges all the time.
When I was in the LI we got a new RSM who decided that Good Conduct tapes were a good idea (not just for the band) so LCpls and below suddenly had their Charge sheets checked and stripes were sewn as applicable. Eligibility is in QR's. I think it was 2 years for the first, 2.5 years for the second then a sliding scale after that. :wink:

ugly

LE
intli said:
jimmy_jazz said:
When I was in the LI we got a new RSM who decided that Good Conduct tapes were a good idea (not just for the band) so LCpls and below suddenly had their Charge sheets checked and stripes were sewn as applicable. Eligibility is in QR's. I think it was 2 years for the first, 2.5 years for the second then a sliding scale after that. :wink:
The only person I saw wearing them was a bugler, the coy clerk of C Coy 1 LI in 82 put it to me straight, "if you dont get paid for it why wear it?" I had to agree as I was a redarrsse and he was a sweat!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Linso The Training Wing 17
Fang_Farrier Military History and Militaria 6
papegojan ACF 10