Ranging Gun Hole in Turret

Discussion in 'RAC' started by StumpyHussar, Mar 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A friend of mine runs Castoff which does resin upgrades for popular tanks including one for the supposedly Tamiya Mk5 Chieftain. His kits puts all the right stuff that's missing, correct NBC pack, barrel with the shroud on the end etc.

I was showing him some pictures of our Mk 3s we had for year in Berlin with the .50 sticking out of the side and I asked him if the Tamiya model has the welded oval on the turret and he said it didn't. He wants to include a resin oval with his kit for people to stick on.

He asked me if ll the Chieftains were the same and I told him yes but now I'm not sure. I know some were built as Mk 5's but did they have this filled in on construction? It would have cost a fortune to change the cast methinks.

Any clues?

2. As far as I'm aware, all turrets were simply re-workings of the original, as they got older they gained MKs but were all base 2 or 3. The RG slot was, as you say, simply plugged and welded. If anything came through, well, it was the loaders side...

3. I'm guessing this would have been covered up by the Stillbrew upgrade from Mk.10 onwards, anyway?

4. Yep, Stillbrew moved the weakspot to the right...

Just to the left in pics of the two 120mm penetrations

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Suppose I should've put a picture at the start really. This is the Mk3 ranging gun for those who've not seen one before this is taken outside the Olympic Stadium. We took the tanks down to the "zone" in 1979 and brought back brand spanky new Mk 5's.

Attached Files:

6. Thought that might be the case nice to see I'm not going completly senile!

7. Christ that would've made you smart a bit if inside. Not seen them downrange, where were these taken?

8. Dunno mate, got them here;

Linky