Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by mo8462, Apr 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. does anyone have any ideas for an interesting shoot?
    i was thinking having someone else on firing point giving fire control order onto landscape target with binos, (dont even know where to get landscape targets from)
    any suggestions would be greatfully recieved or it will be ten round grouping again
  2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

What sort of range? LFTT or conv gallery/etr? What level of trained soldier? What level of RCO?

Give us a clue as to what you are dealing with, and I have no doubt there are plenty of suggestions.
  3. What range are you booked on?
  4. Nevermind what sort of range..

Have you ever had an original idea of your own??

Or is just sponged from ARRSE?
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There is the landscape target shoot which can be done with miniature rifles (.22rf) I'm not sure that its been done since the cine range was invented apart from LREA/HBSA matches.
  6. its a 25m gallery range, there is some room to run onto it, but just wanted to do something a bit different.
    have you lurgan ever had an original idea or thought about asking other people for advise in the hope to pass it on, or do you just sit back and slag of anyone who might want to make a shit day a bit of fun.
  7. Are you sure you don't mean a 25m Barrack range? Has it really got a gallery? That would be most unusual.

Assuming a barrack range, there is very little you can do as regards fire and manouevre etc, cross firing is prohibited too.

You'll need to check but I think that you could do a multiple position shoot.

take a look at this:

You could shoot something based on teh Gallery rifle small bore course of fire although the 50yard detail would have to be done at 25 and shooting off the left shoulder might be a bit painful!

Ideally you would want a half or quarter size fig 11.
    Alternatively, modify a Fig14 with extra scoring rings drawn on using a suitable template.
  8. thanks, that is really handy
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The principle of field firing at short range onto landscape targets was that the section got to practise fire control orders. Landscape targets are expensive so sights would be set using the very high landscape notch on the rear leaf. This meant that shots aimed at the landscape would print on blank card 2 foot ish below. A scoring ring pointer was used then to identify if the target had been engaged successfully. The HBSA and LERA run a miniature shoot for this every spring at Bisley. I've no idea how you could do this with L85A2?
  10. Can't see it working at all with SUSAT - not enough elevation. With modern colour printers you could just shoot the landscape target. Check range regs regarding target centre heights etc. Barrack range regs are very picky regarding this.
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

With modern colour printers ink is more expensive than champagne, I cant see £72 per litre being spent on something that will be shot up!
  12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

On a 25m range just concentrate of the basics. Work of achieving good groups from the prone, sitting, kneeling and standing positions, and the transition from standing to kneeling.

Start in the standing alert position, on command fire two quick aimed shots, then drop to the kneeling unsupported for 2 shots. It is a variation on one of the APWT practices, so no problems there.

Builds on the basic shooting skills, with limited movement for a bit of fun. Once you have done this, move onto a proper range where you need something more than a catapault to hit the target.
  13. A3 colour laser isn't that dear. If you had four targets per man it's still going to be less than a pound each even if you got a printshop to do it for you.
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Landscape though need to be fed through an AO plotter. There must be hundreds if not thousands of them lying around in SASC stores somewhere, perhaps they can do something about this!
  15. At 25m an A3 ought to be quite adequate! Think it through - width of a fig 11 (the standard target width for the 25m Barrack range) 500mm. Width of A3 in landscape orientation - 420mm

If they can't hit a 1" circle at 25m some basic marksmanship training is called for.