Rangers?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by chocolate_frog, Jun 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Our murky and convuluted history means that some units bear names such as Fusiliers, Rifles, Guards, Dragoons etc. Normally due to some foot note in their history...

So... Rangers.

There have been the Royal Irish Rangers, the Connaught Rangers and Sherwood Rangers but why did they use the term 'Ranger'?

The Sherwood Rangers had a 'Bugle' (similar to LI) in their capbadge.

Any ideas? And steers to information on the matter?

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

OK so I've found the "Robin Hood Rifles" Robin Hood Battalion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, and the "Sherwood Rangers" are/were yeomanry.

But I suspect that this doesn't get you any closer to the etymology of the term "Ranger" in the British Army. The American War of Independence may be the place to start (IIRC Clarke's Rangers?)

3. Light Infantry operating behind enemy lines I think. There are also a couple of Ranger Regiments in the Canadian Army, The Queen's York Rangers (1st American), and the Rocky Mountain Rangers, not to mention the Canadian Rangers (the chaps with the Nr.4 Rifle).

4. QY Rangers were originall Rogers Rangers. Loyalist quasi-terrorist force during the American War of Treachery, I believe. They still have "1st Americans" on their capbadge.
    I believe the "rangers" designation has to do with a Recce role, though I'm often wrong.

5. There were a number of quasi-military, later full military units, with the word 'Rangers' in their title on BOTH sides of the various tiffs in the Americas

6. As Flagrant Violator has said, the original Rangers were formed by Richard Rogers and served in the French and Indian War, the American camapign of the Seven Years War. There was a Yankee fim with Spencer Tracey...

After the end of the American Revolutionary War the british Army only used the title as an honorific. The most famous holders were the old 88th Foot, the Connaught Rangers or Devil's Own of Peninsular War fame.

The old 12th London Regiment and the predecessors and ancestors were also called The Rangers, a posh lot apparently - the charged an entry fee...

7. They weren't that posh as they took two of my great-uncles (both KIA Arras 1917). Admittedly one of them joined the Middlesex Regiment before being used as a draft for 1/12th Londons (The Rangers).

[​IMG]

8. Rangers existed in the British Army before Rogers' Rangers were raised for the Seven Years War. One example: A green-coated regiment called the 'Georgia Rangers' was raised in England in 1745 for service in America. However, the 1745 Jacobite Rebellion erupted before embarkation, so they were marched north as part of the Government response to the rebellion. They later sailed to America and were in-country for ten years before the Seven Years War broke out.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Just to add some detail - the Georgia Rangers were raised by General Oglethorpe, who was Governor of the colony of Georgia and Colonel of the 42nd Foot (an English regiment - this was before the Black Watch was incorporated into the line as the 42nd). They were intended a a mounted light infantry extension of the 42nd in America. However, they were sent from their depot at Hull to join General Wade's army at Newcastle-upon-Tyne and in January 1746 were recorded as being accompanied by an Indian warband (in Scotland)!

10. Gents, I've got Oglethorpe's as formed on 25 August 1737 from the Edinburgh Regiment (much later KOSB). They accompanied their colonel to Georgia as the 42nd and were disbanded some time in 1748. Nothing on rangers but I wouldn't expect it from that source.

To go back to paying to join the TF. A few of the posher London battalions did it - the London Scottish charged 2/6d - a few good sessions in those days... For the Artist's Rifles you had to be nominated.

11. Just googled the RMR and found that the company in my hometown has been reactivated after being reduced to nil strength in 1969. Well done to A Company the Rocky Mountain Ramfuckers.