Ranger Mule Training Circa 1951

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Jan 31, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

The American military decided that their newly formed Ranger Infantry Company's (ABN) who were desigmed for combat in Korea, in the early part of the Korean War needed to know how to use Army Mules!

So, many of the Companies (To include mine.) were sent to 'Camp' Carson for a combination of mountain training, cold weather training and to use Army mules as pack animals. The idea, was to use the mules on long range missions, behind the lines in the mountainous terrain of Korea to carry supplies, etc. So, after Parachute and Ranger school, we were sent there.

I can vouch for the fact, that these Army mules were most nasty, stuborn animals that I ever had the misfortune to meet! Many Rangers were bitten and/or kicked! Some required hospitalization, etc.

Here are some pictures of the training in that era.

Enjoy! :thumright:
  2. Tripwire,
    The USMC Mountain Warfare Training Center at Pickell Meadows CA. has still got a large supply of the horrible, strong b@stard animals. Could be your old Camp Carson? It's in the Sierra Nevada mts. Not a million ,miles from Reno...
  3. The L5 Pack Howitzer used by the Australian Army until about 1988 was originally designed by the Italians as a mule transportable artillery piece. Apparently each gun still had a full complement of mule saddles etc in its CES, sitting in a dusty room store somewhere.

But as far as I know, they were never used with mules. It was always easier to break them down, and use Gunners to carry them!
  4. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Our training was conducted at what is now Fort Carson, outside of Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

Actually, the mules and mule skinner instructors were from a existing pack mule artillery 75MM unit stationed there at that time. We trained at the 11,000 foot level upwards.

Many of these 'mule skinner' instructors volunteered for the Ranger Company's and became Rangers. They made good Rangers, as the were tough as hell and as mean as their mules! ;)

5. Until the early 1960s the RASC had a Mule Company in Hong Kong and another in Aldershot.