"Ranger" mine system on FV432

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by ex-Scaley, Jan 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone mind if I ask what might seem like a bit of an "anorak" type question ?

The old "Ranger2 system fitted to Sapper '432's - how was it mounted ? I've only ever seen photo's of the thing from the side - never through the back door. Was it mounted on top of the mortar hatches or on a pedestal sticking up through them ?

I assume that the whole shebang could be rotated / raised or lowered ?

And what was the travelling position - flush against the top of the vehicle / sheeted or whatever ?

Thanks to any older Sappers who can help.

2. Hi Ex Scaley,

I had one of those horrible things on the roof of my 432 in the good old bad days. The whole thing was lifted onto the top by forks after opening the mortar hatches. It rested on the metal ring and was clamped underneath so it didn't interfere with the field section below. The launcher was effectively a large metal cage that you slid the tubes containing the mines into; we rarely got drill mines for exercise so we used to stuff our bergans up there and bungee a spare tarp around it. The arrse end of the launcher was fairly susceptible to corrosion/damage so it had to be protected.

The whole launcher used to rotate and tilt to give differing ranges when firing.

Hope this helps?

3. mounted on the Azimuth Turntable as i recall.

great for storing your bergans/beer/etc.

[​IMG]

The L10 Ranger Anti-Personnel mine was a U.K. anti-personnel blast mine. It was used from the 1970s until recently.

It was designed to be used in conjunction with the L9 Bar Mine anti-tank mine. A FV432 would be fitted with a plough through which Bar mines would be laid. 18 clips of 4 barrels would be fitted to the top of the vehicle in a firing frame with a 360 degree arc (although not usually fired over the front of the vehicle) , each containing 18 Ranger mines for a total of 1296 mines. As each section of the anti-tank minefield was completed, several barrels would be fired. A small propelling charge would launch the mines, scattering them between 50m and 250m behind or to the side of the mine-laying vehicle. The act of launching the mine from the tube would release a spring-loaded safety catch and start a timer, which would arm the mine after 30 seconds.

The mine was roughly the size of a tin of shoe polish, made of plastic and coloured olive green. Two inert training versions were available. One was bright orange to allow it to be easily spotted and recovered; the other was made from bio-degradeable compressed peat.

The Ranger mine laying system could also be fitted to 4 tonne trucks, Stalwart High Mobility Load Carrier and the Combat Support Boat

In accordance with treaties banning the use of anti-personnel mines, the UK no longer uses the weapon.

4. I remember the bio gradable peat versions used on exercise, I am sure you buggars in the engonnereers used to aim at us poor infantry types on purpose. Bloody hell it hurt if one caught you on the cabbage!!!

5. Now why on earth would you think that we would fire them AT you :twisted: :twisted:

The thought never crossed my mind

Niether did using a Monkey, thunderflash and compo tin or green string as a mortar

:D :D :D

6. Thanks for the replies everyone - I thought I'd seen a picture of the system on a '43 with the hatches open - wasn't sure if that meant it was on some sort of mounting from the floor ! It's all clear now !

I assume you'd take it off while in camp and shut the mortar hatches then ?

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I watched it on my B2 Assault Pioneers at Hameln in 84. The Monkeys crashed out of their toy police station brownings drawn when it started to deploy! Didnt pish ourselvees much really!

8. There was a rumor going about that practice rangers were oiginally made of tinned MFP from the compo rations, but there was an international incident when a SOXMIS team ate one after picking it up from Soltau training area and were found slumped dead in their vehicle so it was replaced with compressed peat which was tastier.

Now the international AP mine ban has come into effect there is talk of bringing it back.

9. The Ranger was not removed in camp unless for some reason the system was needed and the vehicle was off the road (mine was even towed out on an exercise as the spares priority was higher and could get the new engine it needed after the gearbox blew)

The mounting clamps were replaced with a new type in mid 80's as the old type sheared/came off. This left extra holes in the mounting plate on mine which was a sod to stop water coming in.

Only once had a section in the back of mine (Lionheart 84) rest of time it was just me and a Sapper/Lance Jack Commander and towing the Barmine Layer.