Ranger Brigade(s)

'Rangers' is hardly a new designation for a British regiment, and the capabilities of the previous ones have varied widely:-

Connaught Rangers. 88th Foot formed 1793, 94th Foot joined as 2nd Bn 1881, to Irish Army 1922.

Gorham's Rangers. 1761 to 1763. Formed in Canada.

Queen's Rangers (First American Regiment). Successors to Rogers's Rangers, formed 1776 and existed on and off until 1833 when they were absorbed into the Canadian establishment.

Royal Corsican Rangers. 1803 to 1816. Served in the western Med.

Royal West India Rangers. 1806 to 1819.

'Rangers' is hardly a new designation for a British regiment, and the capabilities of the previous ones have varied widely:-

Connaught Rangers. 88th Foot formed 1793, 94th Foot joined as 2nd Bn 1881, to Irish Army 1922.

Gorham's Rangers. 1761 to 1763. Formed in Canada.

Queen's Rangers (First American Regiment). Successors to Rogers's Rangers, formed 1776 and existed on and off until 1833 when they were absorbed into the Canadian establishment.

Royal Corsican Rangers. 1803 to 1816. Served in the western Med.

Royal West India Rangers. 1806 to 1819.
And this lot:

20210916_123432.jpg

HarryBosch

War Hero
Prior to any deployment to East Africa, we should ask if lessons from recent campaigns have been learned. If they have:

'The UK should develop internal doctrine and training for the Ranger Regiment specific to civilian harm mitigation, including where needed revised tactics, techniques and procedures' .

Wavell Room

A necessary condition, I should think, but it's not hard to imagine us siding with the devil and doing more harm than good.

Calimero

Clanker
1634460415211.jpeg

If you’re going to have an eagle, go the whole hog!

Why is it the new unit cap badges no longer have crowns on them?

If that is real, shìte badge by the way.
I think they have aspirations and are hoping for some look-a-like juju. It's right shit BTW.

1634460432731.png

Why is it the new unit cap badges no longer have crowns on them?

If that is real, shìte badge by the way.

It's real, and it's rubbish (channeling the Selous Scouts for a Unit that is supposedly going to go train/mentor/accompany foreign troops is... an interesting one)

Unsure if crown was linked to a regiment being "Royal" at some point?

Though it does mean no need to change to a King's Crown (should Charles change the design for his reign)

It seems a bit tone-deaf to be trying to ape the Selous Scouts to my mind.

The British Army has such a storied and influential history of actual ranger regiments from North America (and after the War of Independence elsewhere) and instead is channelling a foreign nation's unit with a reputation for infiltrating its own (rebellious) populace and with allegations of brutality. Am I missing something?

The cap badge looks awful too.

QRK2

LE
It seems a bit tone-deaf to be trying to ape the Selous Scouts to my mind.

The British Army has such a storied and influential history of actual ranger regiments from North America (and after the War of Independence elsewhere) and instead is channelling a foreign nation's unit with a reputation for infiltrating its own (rebellious) populace and with allegations of brutality. Am I missing something?

The cap badge looks awful too.

What they envisioned:

3bjFKaCTneSORG0KRCuyrLdNM4A67EF6pYsK2j_bDaQ.jpg

What they are getting:

8536c.jpg

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
It's real, and it's rubbish (channeling the Selous Scouts for a Unit that is supposedly going to go train/mentor/accompany foreign troops is... an interesting one)

Unsure if crown was linked to a regiment being "Royal" at some point?

Though it does mean no need to change to a King's Crown (should Charles change the design for his reign)
The Parachute Regiment cap badge has a crown on it.

Latest Threads