Ranger Brigade(s)

I'd have zero dramas telling a Household Div WO1 that he needs to give Army Dress Regs a quick browse, as if he had, he'd have known that Brigage of Gurkhas Capbadges wear black buttons, as do the Light Div.
It makes you wonder how long he had been serving in HK with three or four Gurkha Infantry battalions, QGE, QGS and GTR and only one British Infantry battalion. Out of a garrison of about 10,000, six or seven thousand were Gurkhas with black buttons. Mind you this was the eighties. Probably less with the drawdown in the nineties, but the Gurkhas were still in the majority until 1996.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It makes you wonder how long he had been serving in HK with three or four Gurkha Infantry battalions, QGE, QGS and GTR and only one British Infantry battalion. Out of a garrison of about 10,000, six or seven thousand were Gurkhas with black buttons. Mind you this was the eighties. Probably less with the drawdown in the nineties, but the Gurkhas were still in the majority until 1996.
He was new in post but as you say it’s strange he hasn’t noticed. Then again the Signals were different. All Sigs pers in HK were badged QGS. Others like the RCT only badged GTR if they were actually serving with the Gurkha companies.

In fairness, Household Division Warrant Officers aren't really famous for their great mental prowess.

He was new in post but as you say it’s strange he hasn’t noticed. Then again the Signals were different. All Sigs pers in HK were badged QGS. Others like the RCT only badged GTR if they were actually serving with the Gurkha companies.
The only RCT unit I remeber in HK were 415 Maritine Troop who were part of GTR but wore naval rig together with a beret. I can't remember if they had RCT or GTR cap badges. I think it was RCT. There were also HMSC drivers in the GTR Sqn based on HK island but I think they wore either RCT or HCMSC badges. It was the same with QGE. They had a few HKMSC in their HQ sqn together with a couple of RE SNCO's who wore the RE cap badge instead of the QGE badge.

As you say QGS were different with all R Sigs personnel in HK being part of QGS including WRAC Signals trade and wearing the QGS badges and buttons.

There were obviously RCT movements personnel in the JSMC who wore the RCT cap badge.

I once told a Guards RSM that he did not have the authority to promote me to Lance Sergeant and absorb me into his mess. I was a Section Commander attached to his Bn at the time.
Things became marvellously noisy for a time but I retained my membership of the Corps.
You missed a marvellous opportunity to become the first ever L/Sgt in the RE!

QRK2

LE
You missed a marvellous opportunity to become the first ever L/Sgt in the RE!

No, it was once a quite normal RE rank (along with the rest of the Army) eg

1623872198630.png

[drift]

They not having been worn for some twenty years, and having been moved from cupboard-to-cupboard, I’ve finally just ironed three of my son’s (former Officer of Ghurkhas), nearly-new SD shirts . . . before taking them down to the “Age UK” charity shop . . . with most of the contents of my own wardrobe, that similarly has not been worn for some twenty years.

It can ONLY have been an Ordnance (Clothing) Officer – with the mentality of a clerk - that thought it a good idea, appropriate, to specify the extra row of stitching in the left-hand breast pocket, to create a vertical “sleeve” into which a pen could be inserted/carried . . . on display, to everyone!! My God !!

It was clearly evident that – conscientious as he may have been – the inside of the cuffs/front pleat, and backs of the collar, pocket flaps and epaulettes, had NEVER been ironed :( .

Reason for posting . . . all the normal/usual, cream/beige buttons, had been (had-to-be), replaced by BLACK buttons!!

Plenty of comments on several threads about The Rifles . . . but W.T.F. . . . what degree of ****-retentiveness, obsessive-compulsory-behaviour, pedantry, IS THAT ?!

[Edit: why does the site consider it necessary to hide "a n a l" ?!]

Note: brought it home to me, how much I miss those shirts . . . the ironing maybe, NOT so much ;) .

[/drift]
If only I had a buckshee Life (ex-squaddie for the use of) among the stache of things in my garage and loft.

I would happily give it to you, here and now.

Mildewed or mouldy it might be, and oddly shrunken since last I wore uniform, it would have to be a better thing than whatever-the-fvcking-hell passes for your life right now!!!

It's also in Army Dress Regs, so if some bell end WO1 wants to try and get shouty over the colour of someone's buttons, he can take it up with the Army Dress Committee.
Who have nothing better to do with their time.

That nasty multi-billion-pound budget hole is but a mere blip in relative terms,

LD17

MIA
Hey, I might of missed it but wasn’t more detail supposed to come out this month in regards to the “all singing all dancing” “Rangers” and weren’t we supposed to also get an update on the Infantry as a whole?

Hey, I might of missed it but wasn’t more detail supposed to come out this month in regards to the “all singing all dancing” “Rangers” and weren’t we supposed to also get an update on the Infantry as a whole?
You ofn't missed it

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
No, Rangers info probably early August.

No idea on Infantry wide/Army ORBAT but meant to be this summer

Bandwidth probably a bit tied up in all things Ajax

Was this the start-
Guardsman earns ranger tab 2009
WO2 Bisset has probably been Mr Bisset for quite sometime. The article also mentions another two soldiers, one off which was attached too 75th Ranger Regt. Would Mr Bisset, the dude at 75th and their subsequent replacements had any say/advice/input/recomendations, with the forming of this new (ish) British Ranger Brigade?
SK

Last edited:
No, I imagine the large group of people who have been doing this tasking for the last couple of years, including quite a few exercises with the appropriate US Army units might have more of an idea than some random retired bloke.

But I'm just guessing.

Latest Threads