Ranger Brigade(s)

A lot of us up here called the Black Watch the "Whack Blotch". Doesn't go down too well if one of the Poison Dwarves is in the room though.

They we referred to as the “Black Death” in BATUS Canada in 2002.

They’d been out there on the Med Man type ex with 7 Bde over the summer before us (19 Bde) and had been a total bunch of cnuts down town and caused a lot of bad feeling.

Obvs the civvies out there had no notion of different battlegroups rotating through the place, they just thought we were all British Army cnuts.

I’d heard similar dits from earlier tours about the RHF being nicknamed the “Royal Highland Fascists”. Might have been from whatever they got up to in Kosovo?

riksavage

War Hero
Well they certainly showed up the Einsatzgruppen as a bunch of slackers as far as genoicide goes, back in 1994.
I worked with a Canadian Army, then RCMP officer assigned to their war crimes investigation unit, he could certainly testify to your comment. If there was ever someone rated as ‘highly likely’ on the PTSD register it would be him. His stories of the atrocities he witnessed first hand were pretty grim.

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
Or have Dragoon’s in a light cavalry role…
That is just a return..

Dragoons were originally mounted infantry on lighter horses than cavalry and used for scouting in the C17th. The ealiest rergular light cavalry in the British Army were raised as light dragoons. The term Hussars was largely adopted for aesthetic reasons as fur lined jackets dripping with gold braid and very tight trousers were considered ally ratehr than gay, though the Gay Hussar was a Soho restaurant...

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer

dragon825

War Hero
Flew in there a lot right after the genocide. They were getting their act together and very hot on sorting out the problems, trials for those fomenting trouble, public executions in the football stadium and so on to drive home the point.

Spent a lot of time right after that over the border in Burundi and their military were pretty sharp by African standards, trained by Israelis. Wouldn't be surprised if Rwanda had Israeli input as well. I found the Burundians way more disciplined than the bone idle congolese due to that influence. Even sharper than the Kenyan military and way ahead of Tanz. If Rwanda has Israeli input, it'll show in their cohesion and focus.
we (5AB Log Batt) were based in that there footy stadium with the Canadians, there were some gruesome finds by the advance party

Yup. There was a church burned down with a load of people in it. Used to pass it heading into town for lunch on layovers. Reminder of the tribalism that plagues the continent.

At least the view and pizza at le Cactus took your mind off it for a bit. Saw some footage of the road from the airport a while ago and the bullet and shell holes in the buildings along there seem to have been cleaned up, filled and painted. Would be interesting to bimble around the ramp at the airport and see if the mortar splashes are still there in the tarmac.

US Special Forces in Vietnam formed their own quick reaction forces called 'Mike Forces.' One battalion sized force for each corp area made up of a battalion of local civlian irregular Nung and Yard tribesman led by US SF officers and soldiers. There job was to go to the rescue of Special Forces camps under attack from NVA and VC attack. The reason for forming them was because in many instances regular US Forces had refused to come to the aid of SF camps under attack.

The classic example of this was when the US Special Forces camp at Lang Vei on the Cambodian border was over run by NVA armour in February 1968. US Marines at the nearby USMC base at Khe Sanh refused to come to their assistance, despite that being part of the defence plan.

Battle of Lang Vei.

MACV-SOG had a battalion of Montagnards led by USSF attached to each of the three Command and Control areas whose role was as a quick reaction force to assist any Recon Teams in trouble behind enemy lines in Laos and Cambodia.

The Duke himself led a Mike Force to extract the garrison of a Special Forces outpost being overrun by a mainforce VC battalion.

Mike = Mobile Strike if I recall correctly.

Amazing how you can prop up two 2*s at the very least 2 1*s and retain 8 COs to command 4 Bns worth of troops,.

Here's an article from over a decade ago

There are almost 1,000 more trained officers on the Army payroll than the force needs to do its work.
But among the ranks, there is a shortfall of 4,400 - the equivalent of around seven infantry battalions.

I don't have the exact figures to hand right now but I'l bet the problem is much, much worse today. The way things are going it will soon be 1:1 ratio.

Mike = Mobile Strike if I recall correctly.
Called officially Mike Force, also known as Mobile Strike which referred more to their role.
The term was originally coined in the US to cover the joint CIA/SF operations then moved predominantly over to just SF usage. It started when the SF/CIA were jointly tasked with the backpack delivered nukes.
They were formed in Vietnam as a Mobile reaction force to support USSF and were part of 5th SFG. Deactivated at the end of the Vietnam war.

The origins of Mike Forces in Vietnam.

MIKE Force.

Called officially Mike Force, also known as Mobile Strike which referred more to their role.

They were formed in Vietnam as a Mobile reaction force to support USSF and were part of 5th SFG. Deactivated at the end of the Vietnam war.

The origins of Mike Forces in Vietnam.

MIKE Force.
From what I’ve read, the mobile strike, mike as used here originated in the late 50’s pre Vietnam era when the CIA and US Army were fighting it out over who got to be the bearers of backpack nukes and wage clandestine wars. The US SF detachment in Japan and CIA ended up working in tandem under the name of mobile strike, it could be that the name was rehashed as they often are.

From what I’ve read, the mobile strike, mike as used here originated in the late 50’s pre Vietnam era when the CIA and US Army were fighting it out over who got to be the bearers of backpack nukes and wage clandestine wars. The US SF detachment in Japan and CIA ended up working in tandem under the name of mobile strike, it could be that the name was rehashed as they often are.
Possibly, but the Soldier of Fortune article by a Mike Force veteran states:

The unit was named the MIKE Force. This came from LTC Miguel ‘Mike’ de la Peña. ‘Mike’ was his code name,

The use of the name could just be coincidence. Because of security classifications the USSF soldiers in Vietnam may not be aware of the back pack nukes and turf wars between the CIA and US SF.

The use of the name could just be coincidence. Because of security classifications the USSF soldiers in Vietnam may not be aware of the back pack nukes and turf wars between the CIA and US SF.
I am guessing you are more than likely correct with it being coincidental , the CIA/SF pïssing match and then joint work wasn’t declassified and made public until 2010/11, 50 years after the fact.

Never believe everything you read in SOF magazine! ;)

What even from a USSF soldier who was there at the time? Plenty of other sources confirm the origins of MIKE Force in Vietnam.
I'm not saying every writer is dubious, but I have read some utter bollox in that a long time ago and vowed to never touch the rag again.

Edited to add: I enjoyed it as a day dreaming teenager in the CCF. Then I grew up, got a bit of experience and reached the above conclusion.

Last edited:

Latest Threads