Ranger Brigade(s)

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I've only been to one of their Officer's Messes, and I have forgot which one. Memory's a bit dodgy now.

In my hazy recollection, the walls had a few of those absurd Cuneo daubs (where there's a mouse winning the battle, and nobody's taking cover - I mean, just FerFvckSake!! :roll: ) and the lunchtime centrepiece was a 750ml Heinz Tomato Ketchup squeezy bottle.

That said, the only bits of which I'm uncertain of, are the ketchup brand name, and the size of the bottle ^~
Having lived in the Aldershot Garrison (& 5AB) mess, I was confused to see a large painting depicting a modern day (late 90s) airborne dz complete with meat bombs, dead bodies and live firing/charging. When I asked one of the maroon fraternity which battle was being depicted (as I couldn't recall an operational descent by non-SF since Suez) he remarked that it was supposed to embody the AB spirit.

What an awful and cheesy cap badge. I really don't see why they couldn't have come up with something which harked back to the actual historic rangers the army has had serving during its history.

When you didn't read Regimental Part 1's where it said "all previous signs of 1 SCOTS will be removed by 1st Dec"....or should i say, chose to ignore it!
View attachment 619607
There’s one thing no ones heard from, the troops from the Royal Scots/Ranger’s. There’s got to be a good few of the Rank and file who have got steam coming out of their ears, at losing their beloved Regiment’s name and traditions. I just wonder how many have put their notice in or requested a transfer to another Battalion.

There’s one thing no ones heard from, the troops from the Royal Scots/Ranger’s. There’s got to be a good few of the Rank and file who have got steam coming out of their ears, at losing their beloved Regiment’s name and traditions. I just wonder how many have put their notice in or requested a transfer to another Battalion.

I think that there might be a few Celtic supporters banging in transfer requests :) :)

Although, historically, Scots units are very good at preserving traditions and playing with names...

I wouldn't be surprised to start see items of Scottish regimental regalia starting to appear (tartan patches), together with unofficial names - traditionally lowland Scots raiders/rangers (direct antecedents of 1 Scots) were known as "Reivers". 1st Ranger Regiment ("the Scots Reivers") doesn't sound too bad - channelling my inner George MacDonald Fraser.....

1SCOTS (The Royal Scots Borderers - 1st and 25th of Foot) marched off their Colours for the last time in a moving ceremony just the other day....the expressions on the faces of those Borderers on parade said it all...sadness.
Apparently, perhaps as a sop to the combined history of almost 700 years of service to those wonderful truly Scottish Regiments - both formed before the Union of Scotland and England - they are keeping, for the time being, the tartan and silver in the various messes.

Edinburgh, the Lothians, Lanarkshire and the Scottish Borders are now without a family Regiment.

XXV!

1SCOTS (The Royal Scots Borderers - 1st and 25th of Foot) marched off their Colours for the last time in a moving ceremony just the other day....the expressions on the faces of those Borderers on parade said it all...sadness.
Apparently, perhaps as a sop to the combined history of almost 700 years of service to those wonderful truly Scottish Regiments - both formed before the Union of Scotland and England - they are keeping, for the time being, the tartan and silver in the various messes.

Edinburgh, the Lothians, Lanarkshire and the Scottish Borders are now without a family Regiment.

XXV!
Sorry but even though I’m a sassenach, this has got to be an extremely sad day in British military history. It was bad enough, with the amalgamation of the Scots Regts to form Royal Regt of Scotland. But they’ve lost their Colour’s, Cap badge and foisted on them that abortion of a cap badge.
It would have been better, kept the name Colour and cap badge, but given them the Grey Beret.
1Scots (Ranger Bn)

Although, historically, Scots units are very good at preserving traditions and playing with names...

I wouldn't be surprised to start see items of Scottish regimental regalia starting to appear (tartan patches), together with unofficial names - traditionally lowland Scots raiders/rangers (direct antecedents of 1 Scots) were known as "Reivers". 1st Ranger Regiment ("the Scots Reivers") doesn't sound too bad - channelling my inner George MacDonald Fraser.....

And there is a historical precedent: the SOE units in WWII were codenamed, "Jedburgh Teams", after the town that was a major Reveir stronghold. Partly because the SOE got up to the same kind of naughty activities - kidnapping, assassination etc - that the Steel Bonnets did. ;)

And there is a historical precedent: the SOE units in WWII were codenamed, "Jedburgh Teams", after the town that was a major Reveir stronghold. Partly because the SOE got up to the same kind of naughty activities - kidnapping, assassination etc - that the Steel Bonnets did. ;)

"The Steel Bonnets" also has a certain ring to it.....!

Ursus Major

War Hero
Sorry but even though I’m a sassenach, this has got to be an extremely sad day in British military history. It was bad enough, with the amalgamation of the Scots Regts to form Royal Regt of Scotland. But they’ve lost their Colour’s, Cap badge and foisted on them that abortion of a cap badge.
It would have been better, kept the name Colour and cap badge, but given them the Grey Beret.
1Scots (Ranger Bn)
We have been doing this for decades, first amalgamations in the modern era (stand fast 1881) was a large slew of cavalry regiments in 1922ish, then the 1950's and 60's then 1992 etc. etc.

Cynical

LE
Book Reviewer
We have been doing this for decades, first amalgamations in the modern era (stand fast 1881) was a large slew of cavalry regiments in 1922ish, then the 1950's and 60's then 1992 etc. etc.
True
But we didn't have Rangers then, so it's all going to be OK this time

Last edited:
Amalgamations is one thing, it’s normally with a similar Rolled Regt. This is taking a Battalion of the oldest Regt in the Army, with 400 odd years of history, tradition and loyal service to the Crown.
The MOD have taken 1Scots Colours, history and literally thrown it all in the skip.
Your now 1Ranger Battalion, start afresh you’ll be right!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Amalgamations is one thing, it’s normally with a similar Rolled Regt. This is taking a Battalion of the oldest Regt in the Army, with 400 odd years of history, tradition and loyal service to the Crown.
The MOD have taken 1Scots Colours, history and literally thrown it all in the skip.
Your now 1Ranger Battalion, start afresh you’ll be right.......
....until the next round of cuts in 2023!

Having lived in the Aldershot Garrison (& 5AB) mess, I was confused to see a large painting depicting a modern day (late 90s) airborne dz complete with meat bombs, dead bodies and live firing/charging. When I asked one of the maroon fraternity which battle was being depicted (as I couldn't recall an operational descent by non-SF since Suez) he remarked that it was supposed to embody the AB spirit.

They didn't have enough regimental history to fill all the walls.

Retreats behind hard cover and hugs the ground...

Latest Threads