Ranger Brigade(s)

Cyberhacker

War Hero
If you remember, the plan was that the battalions would form into large regiments and then the very expensive Arms Plot would end.
Instead of entire battalions moving every few year the troops would move. So someone in the Yorkshire regiment would have had a choice of 3 postings on leaving ITC and could elect to remain in Germany doing AI or head to Cyprus for a couple of years then request a Yorkshire posting or Germany.
Indeed I remember it well.

We have significantly reduced the number of Infantry battalions since then - those divisions that went fully-large can continue to rotate individuals around the remaining battalions... those that didn't (or who did a half-arrsed job) now find themselves with single-battalion regiments again.

That said, it would have made more sense to me to have kept the four Ranger battalions as their original titles, to maintain the (illusion of) big-regiment benefits... one battalion on Boxer, one Ranger, one Light (etc)

That wouldn’t have satisfied a vanity project.

(Oops, did I just say that?)
Just think of the social aspects, four Regimental Birthdays, Founding of the Regiment Day, Some vague unheard of skirmish in some remote part of the world to be celebrated the possibilities are endless. Give it time and there will be more hierarchies angling for Sapper Rangers, Gunner Rangers, rather effete horse riding Rangers etc, etc, This is a whole play park.

Just think of the social aspects, four Regimental Birthdays, Founding of the Regiment Day, Some vague unheard of skirmish in some remote part of the world to be celebrated the possibilities are endless. Give it time and there will be more hierarchies angling for Sapper Rangers, Gunner Rangers, rather effete horse riding Rangers etc, etc, This is a whole play park.
I think the current Brigadier falls into the last category you mention?
Which is interesting, as he has just been directly slid across from the running the Spec Inf - couldn’t they find an Infantry brigadier who was up to the job?

That photo is perhaps the single most desperate and demoralising image of the British Army that I can recall seeing. It looks like a group of cadets asked to imagine how their hobby could be put to a military purpose.

What next?

View attachment 617975

I couldn't agree more. Pitiful. The Daily Hell's panting write-up is even worse as it's blindingly obvious they'd be just as excited if the dog keeled over half-way through and a wheel fell off the Landy.

Also this thing of waving a boring commercial UAV about like a small child with a toy is embarrassing.

Cyberhacker

War Hero
with the disbandment of 2 Mercian already confirmed, the British Army has 31 regular infantry battalions (32 if you include 1 Para) - this excludes the incremental Public Duties companies and the Gibraltar Regiment

To put that numbers into context, the US Army has 31 active-component brigade combat teams (32 if you include the 75th Ranger Regiment)!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
with the disbandment of 2 Mercian already confirmed, the British Army has 31 regular infantry battalions (32 if you include 1 Para) - this excludes the incremental Public Duties companies and the Gibraltar Regiment

To put that numbers into context, the US Army has 31 active-component brigade combat teams (32 if you include the 75th Ranger Regiment)!
Yeah, but they don't do transformative effect like we do.

Ah, but by renaming a couple of companies as a battalion, and 4 of those as a brigade, we now outnumber the PLA, or something?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Isn't it now called SEEK or FIND or some such? Possibly because 'reconnaissance' is not sexy enough too much for some people to spell.

They been issued with a Labrador so it'll probably be called, SEEK, ROLL OVER AND SIT

If ever a unit was underemployed and lost their purpose it is the H/Cav down in Sunny Tidworth.
Destined for out new all singing all tap dancing armoured behemoth which is spectacularly failing.
Bin the tin can and off you go. They are all but infantry already

"Apartheid terror squad"

Oh dear me...I'd have expected better from the DT.
It certainly surprised me to see such tripe in the DT. 'Apartheid' wasn't the Rhodesian ethos. Unfortunately the website didn't put a 'comment' section under the article, so they were spared my irony.

View attachment 617980
Why do i get the sneaky horrible feeling the female in the picture was told to take her helmet off just so show its right up there in the modern world of thinking.
PR Photographer "ok, no smiling, look hard and tough please and can you stop that dog wagging its tail....ready 1 2"
Army PR bloke "Hang on, you know we asked for female, well the trouble is we cant tell its a female.......Cpl Bloggs, can you take your helmet off and stand in the center"
Dog Handler "But i wouldn't deploy without my helmet"
Army PR Bloke "Yes but we will get hammered by everyone for not showing women do this stuff and i didnt get into the Royal Marine PR team so im making do with a JAMES Amber WMIK and Toys-R-Us Drone!"
Why are some masked and others not? Shy about being associated with a sh1tshow? Good to see Olive and Mabel have been signed up.

If you divide the actual number of infanteers, approx 11k, by a normal-ish size for a battalion, say around 650, we have half that. The grown-ups really need to grip this situation, truth is there are too many officers with too little to do and the entirety of the Inf has been build around artificially created PIDs for them.

FFS, can't these Woke Lefty Tossers ever give it a rest?

View attachment 617960.

Very American Sci-Fi looking, but very modern too, I like it - a refreshing addition to the UK CapBadge collection.
I nearly spat my porridge all over my screen when I read this in the 'Graph this morning. They should be fúcking proud that their badge is like the Selous Scouts. They should aspire to being good enough to lick the boots of the Selous Scouts. And as for the weasly bed wetting snowflake of a journalist, how he can twist the history of the Scouts into a terror organisation is beyond me.

Latest Threads