Ranger Brigade(s)

Blogg

LE
Personally I think it is a very poor design and I concur with the article, how this got through the process of dress regulations is beyond me

Very unimaginative but then this is indicative of the whole ranger concept - a waste of time and money - firmly laid at the feet of the outgoing CDS - Carter

Archie

Endless Committees laboured long and hard to achieve that triumph of bloody obvious foot shooting.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
What's happening at 11?
Statement in Parliament covering these issues, plus how Regiments will be after losing regiments to the new Ranger Regt, plus basing issues and other 'stuff'. Duty rumour is SCOTS Bns will lose their antecedent titles and just become 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 SCOTS.

So what would you have proposed? Abolition of a single battalion regiment? Or more 1+1=1 mergers?

The "large" multi-battalion regiments made sense, as can be seen by the reduced protests about cutting battalion numbers last time and this.

It even allows the de facto disbandment of four battalions to be spun up as positive news aka Rangers!
If you remember, the plan was that the battalions would form into large regiments and then the very expensive Arms Plot would end.
Instead of entire battalions moving every few year the troops would move. So someone in the Yorkshire regiment would have had a choice of 3 postings on leaving ITC and could elect to remain in Germany doing AI or head to Cyprus for a couple of years then request a Yorkshire posting or Germany.

The first part started up & finished. The second bit was dropped as too tricky to work out..

DITA

MIA
Statement in Parliament covering these issues, plus how Regiments will be after losing regiments to the new Ranger Regt, plus basing issues and other 'stuff'. Duty rumour is SCOTS Bns will lose their antecedent titles and just become 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 SCOTS.

Another sad day for the SCOTS Bns.

Oh great more Uber whinging from the Nats north of the border. I wonder how many times the word ‘Betrayed’ or ‘Betrayal’ will be used?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
.50cal, actually a WW1 design. GPMG, 1950s. Dogs, domesticated… 15,000 years.

We’re punching.

And why was the picture taken in an abandoned car park?

1637830364643-png.617971

And why has someone been issued with the Airfix Colditz Glider?

09a3cf0d2b4a3e02d8f215a4cc283b1b--gliders-wwii.jpg

And while we're at it, what is an exploration search dog? Does it scour Papua New Guinea before returning to deliver a series of lectures to the Royal Geographical Society? I can understand a Labrador or some form of spaniel doing a bit of sniffing (searching) but if by exploration they actually mean scouting with a go pro, a Malinois would be a better choice for anything which might involve biting people. Presumably the Brigadier's dog was the only hound available for the shoot.

That photo is perhaps the single most desperate and demoralising image of the British Army that I can recall seeing. It looks like a group of cadets asked to imagine how their hobby could be put to a military purpose.

What next?

1637832664477.jpeg

Give over, it's been dead for years. I went to the last officers mess ball of the A&SH in however long ago that was (2011?) and it was embarrassing then. Just people with jobs as soldiers who happened to be wearing a particular badge. No real sense of the regiment.

The time to get all sad about the Scottish battalions was before SCOTS was formed. Actually, it was probably before that when most of them couldn't man.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Airsoft walts!

1637830364643.png

Hmmmmm

Resilience, calmness and self-awareness will be tested on a two-week assessment cadre that will include “protracted periods of time under duress,” said Brigadier Gus Fair, the first commander of the Army’s new Special Operations Brigade, has said.

A 2 week period of no mobile phones, internet, TV's and game stations will see 95% jack it

After the two-week initial assessment, applicants will then have to prove a high level of soldier skills over two months.

The 5% that don't jack it will probably do well over the 2 months

Just as well they have 60k to burn through, they might manage a Bde of 1200 :D :D

Where are all the traffic cones they deploy behind enemy lines to help disrupt traffic flow?

Good. I'll tune in. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm in favour of this Duty Rumour regarding the Scots. The Rifles have proven moving forward works better than lingering in the past regarding Regimental identities.

Any serving Jocks I have encountered have always shied away from their new 'Scots' title - proudly identifying themselves as their antecedent Regiments instead, and declaring themselves as Highlanders or Black Watch etc., whereas you speak to any bod in the Rifles regardless of the Regiment they they came from, and they'll proudly tell you - they're in The Rifles.

That is utterly pathetic
Looks like my suggested nickname for them, ‘The Bone Rangers’, is becoming more apt by the minute. ;)

1637834010418.png

Why do i get the sneaky horrible feeling the female in the picture was told to take her helmet off just so show its right up there in the modern world of thinking.
PR Photographer "ok, no smiling, look hard and tough please and can you stop that dog wagging its tail....ready 1 2"
Army PR bloke "Hang on, you know we asked for female, well the trouble is we cant tell its a female.......Cpl Bloggs, can you take your helmet off and stand in the center"
Dog Handler "But i wouldn't deploy without my helmet"
Army PR Bloke "Yes but we will get hammered by everyone for not showing women do this stuff and i didnt get into the Royal Marine PR team so im making do with a JAMES Amber WMIK and Toys-R-Us Drone!"

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Good. I'll tune in. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm in favour of this Duty Rumour regarding the Scots. The Rifles have proven moving forward works better than lingering in the past regarding Regimental identities.

Any serving Jocks I have encountered have always shied away from their new 'Scots' title - proudly identifying themselves as their antecedent Regiments instead, and declaring themselves as Highlanders or Black Watch etc., whereas you speak to any bod in the Rifles regardless of the Regiment they they came from, and they'll proudly tell you - they're in The Rifles.
Would they be just as happy to ditch the Rifles title and just become 'x' Bn Corps of Infantry?

Latest Threads