Range Rover Evoque Headlights

We currently have a Range Rover Evoque RHD but have moved (retired) to Hungary. We need to change our headlights to LHD to pass the re-registration test. We do not have the facility to change the direction on the dash computer nor do we have switches etc to change them. We have straight forward Bi-Xenon headlights. We have been going round in circles now since March, LR are being extremely unhelpful saying that they do not advise on modifications to original spec but surely you can swap out RHD - LHD and we cant be the first people to do this. Any help or advice would be amazing!

Yep, they are set up to be acceptable for ”temporary driving” in Europe and no deflectors at required, unfortunately not acceptable for legal testing ie MOTs, re-registration, BFG etc

A friend had a similar thing in France.He got so fed up he sold the car and bought a local model.Lot less hassle in the long run.

NSP

LE
Are there no LR dealers on the continent that you can order a pair of headlights from and just change them out?

morsk

LE
Set fire to it and claim on the insurance. Glad to help

RigPig

War Hero
The Land Rover books can talk cobblers at times. My Freelander book also said about swapping the dip beam by using a lever under the light. No lever on 14my models. I cannot remember if I fitted converters. This car had projector lamps, but not bi xenon. I did swap the lights to Bi Xenon later, this involved coding them as Xenon require a higher voltage on start up. Swapping from left dip to right dip will be just be swapping the headlamps over. I wouldn’t call it a modification. Can you get some second hand? Mind you they are big old things to post.

My Discovery Sport says about the flat beam is suitable for both left or right dip, but not sure if local regulations would allow for full time use.

The other forum you could ask on is babyRR.com

RP

Thanks for all replies, we have contacted LR in Budapest and they are trying to look into it for us, albeit slowly (thats life in Hungary) we have also had a price for headlights £850 + VAT each from LR in Ayr, Scotland but they are unsure whether they can just be swapped in for the RHD ones as LR Technical team are unwilling to advise, therefore Ayr are apprehensive about ordering the part incase they cant be changed. :oops::oops:

The Land Rover books can talk cobblers at times. My Freelander book also said about swapping the dip beam by using a lever under the light. No lever on 14my models. I cannot remember if I fitted converters. This car had projector lamps, but not bi xenon. I did swap the lights to Bi Xenon later, this involved coding them as Xenon require a higher voltage on start up. Swapping from left dip to right dip will be just be swapping the headlamps over. I wouldn’t call it a modification. Can you get some second hand? Mind you they are big old things to post.

My Discovery Sport says about the flat beam is suitable for both left or right dip, but not sure if local regulations would allow for full time use.

The other forum you could ask on is babyRR.com

RP
Cheers RigPig, will have a look there too

It's Hungary.
Bung the tester a few Groats and you'll be reet.
ETA, seriously, if you are going to be living there permanently, a LHD cab would be far better, not just regarding lights but driving safety etc. Overtaking in a right hand grab when you don't have a pax is a bit hairy.

Talk to Bearmach.com , they supply pattern and genuine LR parts and have the latest LR parts software , Microcat, they supply parts internationally so cover driving on the right , HOWEVER you may not need different headlights as many new vehicle headlights can be adjusted to suit which side of the road you are driving on.

From another forum " I'm not sure if the setting was for the automatic high beam sensor to change or the actual beam pattern of the lights but I do remember at handover the salesman showed me a setting in the center cluster that I had to choose if you wanted left hand or right hand driving?? He said that when we ship it to the US or drive in Europe that we would need to change it. "

Last edited:

RigPig

War Hero
My DS has auto lights and auto high beam. I had to change the setting for auto high beam when abroad to set the camera to view the left side of the road for oncoming traffic. Not that I drove at night as there was local cider to enjoy.

What year and spec Evoque do you have?

RP.

Latest Threads