Range retards

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by stoatman, Feb 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Croque Monsieur was just telling me at lunch about a guy at his club shooting a Mauser 96 pistol. Apparently it was making rather a lot of noise, and was really not functioning very well at all, with the sear not engaging properly.

It turns out that the guy was shooting Norma 7.62 x 25 Tokarev ammunition in it, because "it's all I could get for it". Apparently this guy has never heard of either ordering the correct ammunition, or rolling his own.

Croque Monsieur, on discovering what the pistol was being fed on, declined the offer of a few shots with it.

Can't blame him...

• Like Like x 1
  2. ...and I REALLY wanted a go too :crying:

3. gob open in amazment ! .... some people should not be allowed within 20 miles of anything more dangerous than an elastic band.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Nothing like a proper mong to liven up a range day.

In fact, the only thing that I enjoy more than watching mongs on a rifle range, is watching mongs on a game shoot.

20bore cartridges in a 12bore anyone?

BOOM!

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Many years ago on German range I was at the extreme left of the pistol range and to my right were several shooters engaged in a competition which involved timed and rapid fire. I was doing my thing in slow time. I think that the range officer had completely forgotten about me, that is until mong features cleared the competitors to go forward to check scores. A quiet "word" from my S&W 686 woke people up to the potential problem they were facing.

6. Not got a tongue in your head, cowboy?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Had a muppet firing a .22lr pistol in 50mtr free pistol next to me on a range last year (I was prone with a rifle luckily). In his best duelling pistol mode, he loaded, raised his arm 45 degrees, started to lower his arm and ND'd at the steel roll down door.
    Bits of lead went bouncing around all over the covered firing point - the other French guys shooting just laughed and called him a cnut (I think).... 8O

8. Some time back [about 20 years or so] Moi's unit was taking part in an inter service shooting competition at Pirbright. EVERYBODY was there, but visualise please.....
    Lots of bored squaddies, lots of ammo and lack of supervision..

On the pistol range which is a little bit off to one side and a bit isolated, guys start to relieve the boredom by doing 'quick draw' antics. As usual there is one, in this case a Bootneck, who takes things too far. He sticks the 9mm down the front of his combats to 'draw', but in his rush, has an nd and removes the last inch of his personal piece.

Although he survived, i did hear that he was eventually dis-charged from the corps. Not because of any disciplinary reasons, but because, as everyone knows......
    you have to be a complete prick to be a royal marine!

9. there was a mong in Creggan poncing around with a 9mm,Browning who managed to shoot himself twice with one round through his thigh and then through his calf muscle, he was siting at the time, we casavaced him in a Scout to Ballykelly

• Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  10. there was a mong in Creggan poncing around with a 9mm,Browning who managed to shoot himself twice with one round through his thigh and then through his calf muscle, he was siting at the time, we casavaced him in a Scout to Ballykelly

11. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Back in my Air Cadet/Space Cadet .303 days, one of our officers thought it would be interesting to bring along an 18th century blunderbuss and have a go at the target from about 50 yards.

Pretty well removed the target......

Wordsmith

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Cuddles you are apparently unaware of what goes on on a 25 mtr range. Just to put you in the picture, the RCOs duties amongst others are to ensure that nobody goes forward of the firing point until all weapons have been unloaded, inspected and that the firers thereafter do not touch the weapons until told to do so. Had that particular RCO carried out this very important duty, the incident would not have occured. As for the individual shooters, they all stand in individual bays and therefore cannot see to their left or right unless they step back, having laid down the weapon first. As for a tongue in my head, yes I do have one , as do the other firers who had a "kind" word or two to say to the RCO. I declined to make any comment as I think he had got the message by then. Cowboy? Western shooting is not my thing, but it has gained considerable popularity here in Germany.

13. Mid 70s on a range somewhere near RAF Wyton we were having an SMG practice. For those not familiar with this weapon the cocking handle is curved and the inside of the curve should face forward. Unfortunately the cocking handle can be fitted the wrong way round. Murphys Law always applies as a certain young Flying Officer found out. Detail with a magazine of 10 rounds LOAD, READY ---- Bang. WHO FIRED THAT SHOT?
    Exit a rather shamed faced junior officer. A combination of curved oiled cocking handle and cold hands (it was February) does not necessarily provide a good grip.

14. I have been shooting since 1964 and have had one ND ,while in JLR at Bovington, fireing had stopped and clear guns given,one of the PS instructors had been shooting on the left hand point and the rifles were laid down , the shooter went forward, and the PS Sgt told me to pick up the four No8s and get ready to take them back to the amoury. I picked up the first rifle, the one used by the PS sgt closed the bolt released the trigger and it went off. it appeared that the extractor was broken when the previous round had fired but the PS had not looked into the breach, and I thinking that a PS instructor could do no wrong ,also had not looked, luckly no one was hit, but by fu** did I learn a lesson that day

15. 6 GPMGs on the 300m point. RCO had just finished ".....go on" when 2 pheasants glided in to land on the 100m point. Need I finish the story ?

Not sure that in 30 odd years I've ever seen truely dangerous practice, bar the time two newly commissioned TA subbies were tasked to run a live section attack range at Sennybridge. Now, of course, I realise we were completely unqualified etc. We did have the common to ask the Range Warden how it was set up.....but I've never had the gun group switch quite so late as that since. We genuinely frightened ourselves - and the troops.