Range Days

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Brew_Time, Jul 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Although not necessarily an Infantry thread, I've put it here as Infantry are probably on the ranges more than most but it can be Range Days for anyone.

    Thought I'd start this, as range days can be very interesting and funny at times and I just wanted us to share those moments.

    One of mine springs to mine. While we were at Roman Bks in Colly we had a big parade coming up which I wasn't interested in so attached myself to the Bisley Team. I was a reasonable shot with the SLR, average on the GPMG and cr@p at everything else so was not actually in the shooting team but helping out with the important admin bits, tea urn etc. Anyway, one day on the ranges our boss asked me and a couple of others to warm up the GPMG's and get them balanced at 600m while they went and sorted the gallery tgts out in the butts. All the necessary safety precautions were done, flags, phones etc, and so started to warm the guns up at 600m. FCK me, two kids jumped up out the FKN trench at 300m and started playing chicken. The guys crapped themselves while these two little fkrs thought it was funny. Imagine the implications had one been zapped.

    BT. 8O
  2. two moronic instnaces on the ranges
    1 family of mongs somehow managed to get on the beach at hythe ranges and refused to shift :twisted:

    2 psi left his new motorbike at the 200m point when we dressed back to 400 oh how we left. after a frantic "stop"
    lots of doubling later "i'm punishing you kunts twice once for daring to try and shoot my bike and 2nd cause you failed to hit it you useless kunts" :twisted:
  3. We were in Belize in the late 80s and up in the ulu. Our C/SGT was tasked to show us the effects of a claymore, mainly for the younger troops benefit. We made an A frame from branches, wood etc and decorated it with plenty of large foliage. When we decided there was enough foliage to show the effects of the claymore we moved back a bit. The youngest member of the Pln was chosen to fire the claymore. After it was fired we proceded down to see the damage. Our C/SGT was frantically looking for his SA80, of which the unit hadn't had very long. Then he remembered where he'd left it, leaning against the framework while the troops had hidden it with foliage. It was bent like a banana and pepper potted to fck, totally written off. The troops did chuckle a bit but there was a very embarassing enquiry to be done. I think its now in the Regt museum.

  4. Feeding the tame boars range stew at Sennelager - Christ they smelt worse than the stew...
  5. Not if it was our chefs who cooked it.

    BT. :lol:
  6. ugly

    ugly LE Moderator

    Range days great fun, Redarse in Baor, bum like a kit kat from 3 hours in the back of an RL, not taking a gonk bag like the sweats and being dicked for every dumb job. Not forgetting the background activity of running up and down the range in the snow as Herman the range warden was still eating his Frustuck!
    The best event had to the 66 night shoot when Chesty copped the plastic bit in his thigh walking through the backblast area!
  7. Many an hour in the summer was speant beating out gorse fires because of white phos or GPMG on SF using 1 and 1..

    I also remember doing a CQB in Belize in 1972 with a GPMG and belt of 200, at the time my DS was my Pln Comd and a young sproggy Rupert. Bipod folded it was all done from the hip. Tgt up, I fired a small burst and went to move into cover, on the way I slipped and turned and got my trigger finger firmly lodged on the trigger. With no safety catch on, the remainder of the belt soon got turned into empty cases in the direction of my DS. Poor chap crapped himself.

  8. Remember doing another CQB in Sennelager one year. Me and our Sgt Major (Chicken George) was running the range. There was several pop up tgts on route followed by a moving tgt on rails which disappeared into a building at the end. The first firer went down the range and George went down to the building to check tgts. On his return he said I was to do the remainder of tgt checking down at the building. I was puzzled, had he seen a ghost. It soon became apparant when I checked the next firers tgt, there was a huge hornets nest in the building and they wern't too happy, fkn great things like hang gliders. After all the firers had gone through and rattled the hornets even more I thought I'd get my own back. Right then George, alright for me to empty a few mags and you check my tgts. Yep ok, he'd obviously forgot the hornets as I hadn't even mentioned them. At the moving tgt end, down it came and I emptied the mag into the hornets nest and not the tgt. George went down to check my tgt and came running back up with a load of hornets in tow. All I could say to him was - what was my score.

  9. Stagging on the Beach at Barry Buddon in summer.....bliss

    Then 4 Para jumping into the beaten zone on the ETR range.......
  10. Filling a new subbies helmet full of paste while on Butt detail. Oh how we laughed when he grabbed it & swung it back on his bonce after the OC was spotted walking down the butts.

  11. During a night shoot on the ranges at Thetford, doing SA80 conversion, flicking the change lever to auto on other peoples gats. The sound of "Who was that" as someone let off a mag without checking makes me chuckle.
  12. Remember when I was in Recce Pln up at Archers Post in Kenya. We were the enemy against the Rifle Company's, only differance being we had live rounds and they had blanks. Hard to believe but true. We could use what we wanted without being accounted for. The whole Kenya tour was live rounds, guys were shooting at anything.

    Anyway, on the Coy final attack on our defended knoll, up over the hill they came at first light. As they came I shouted out LEFT FLANKING followed by RIGHT FLANKING, chaos followed as nobody knew what the **** was going on. Then I spotted one of the gullable Cpls charging towards us during the height of the attack. I stood up with the radio in my hand and shouted above the noise - END EX Roger Out. I looked at Les the Cpl attacking us and said End Ex Les. Now if there's any info going to go through an exercise quicker than any other then its End Ex. Off Les went shouting out END EX - END EX. His Coy Comd was going ape at him. Fkn funny as fck.

    BT. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  13. Me and two other Cpl's were called into the OCs office during the late 80s in Bulford, sh!t what we done now. In we went and the OC who was a field soldier told us he'd got his hands on 90 L2 grenades. Could we go up on Salisbury Plain tomorrow and set up a grenade range for the Coy. Take a few sand bags, few fig 11 and 12 tgts. Milan pln would be up in the morning and Mortars in the afternoon. When we find a decent place to chuck a few grenades we were to radio back the grid referance and Milan will be on their way. Me being Mortars at the time wanted to save as many grenades as I could for them. Milan turned up on que with just a handful of guys, we done the biz and off they went happy to find a pub. Mortars didn't even make it, they'd already found a pub. So there we were, the three of us to dispose of 70 odd grenades. It started off ok but we soon got bored, not ideal a few bored guys with grenades. We started lobbing them at each other and it got quite hairy. If the SASC had seen us we'd have been sacked. Good fun tho.

  14. The training center in Yakima (Eastern Washington state) has an outstanding range where a full company can get online and use every bit of their integral fires plus indirect support while rotary and fixed wing CAS pounds targets in the distance. On one occasion we (B 2/75th out of Ft. Lewis) had just began the iteration when a huge jackrabbit started running around about 200 meters or so downrange. Sectors of fire folded on to one another as every rifleman, SAW gunner, and M60 gunner zeroed in on the poor critter. After that, our range briefing included a line that a cease fire would be called if any fauna appeared.
  15. As part of the PRT on Trumpet Dance, I got posted to Yakima Firing Centre in wild and wooly Washington State, where Coy Gps rotated through doing Platoon and Company work.

    On a company live advance to contact, the culmination was to be a company group quick attack on a conical hill followed by using MILAN to 'repel armour', the missiles being predumped in trenches on the objective. The OC ex tps came up with a plan where he'd launch 2 pls up the hill with his Sp Coy assets firing from the left flank and his grouped light mortars on the right for a rolling barrage of smoke & HE, and for flank protection. So far so good.

    The Safety Staff did a hurried reorg and I was told off to do safety for the lt mors, only to discover that the mortarmen were actually attached bandsmen and had had their intro to the thing in the back of the transport.

    So we edged our way up the hill, trying to keep out of the arcs of the advancing troops and do a 'Battery right' so I could oversee each man firing - make sure they put the bombs in right way round, pulled the pins out the HE, left the SRI well alone, etc. I was so involved it wasn't until one of them remarked on the noise that I realised the FS grps rounds were coming obliquely across our front and a bit close (us being on higher ground and slightly forward of the assault platoons). I got on the safety net and they checked fire, allowing us to advance up a reentrant and into position to soften up the final depth position.

    Meanwhile, on the left flank, one of the junior safety staff with the FSG saw that the SF had set the grass alight and the wind was starting to blow it towards where the MILAN ammo was stored. Not having a radio, he shouted a warning to to his IC, "Boss, there's a fire on the hillside!". IC, busy on the safety net, didn't hear him properly, so he roared "FIRE ON THE HILLSIDE!"

    At which point Carrots and the hapless bandsmen took express delivery of several gazillion rounds of 7.62mm. I don't think I needed the radio, they could have heard me yelling "STOPSTOPSTOP!" back in Ft Lewis.
    • Like Like x 1