Range Ally

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by stoatman, Mar 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I spent 14 hours on Saturday working on ipsc rifle match, putting about 60 shooters through 3 stages on a badly-ventilated range. Despite the use of a low-level gas mask, I think I must have been overcome by fumes because I tried to formulate a Unified Theory of Range Ally (ipsc rifle).

My final conclusion: it is absolutely impossible to formulate a Unified Theory, since it is so subjective. For instance:

EOTech plus magnifier on hinged mount: Ally. The same, but on a carry-handle rail on a carry-handle receiver: utter mong.

Neat, home-made professional-looking lightening holes/cuts: Ally. But the same but badly done so that it looks like you bought your AK from a central-African child soldier: mong.

ACOG: Ally. ACOG on a SIG: mong.

Angled auxiliary sight: Ally. If held on by Velcro: mong

Lack of a free float tube on a heavily-modified Rifle: mong, except where this is not possible.

Certain things are easier to assess in an objective manner:

Any JP component: Ally.

Adjustable gas: Ally.

Practically any muzzle brake: Ally.

Magazines which are shorter or longer than standard: Ally.

Forward grips: mong

Assault rigs (or any other Walt-like clothing): mong

Extended sight radius in standard: Ally

Any flash suppressor which did not come as standard with the rifle: utter mong (why in God's name did you spend money on a muzzle device that was not a brake?)

HK SL-8: always mong, even when made to look like a G36.

Steyr AUG: mong

Ultra-short carbines in Standard: mong

It should be noted that out-of-the-box rifles are neither Ally or mong.

As for my UK gravel belly shooting, I have to say that the most Ally thing I have ever seen was a P 13, closely followed by a No.1 Mk.VI , then a Mk.V.

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 2
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thats me ex ally then a MkV not a No5 :D

3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Range ally can be defined as thus;

Rocking up in your normal work clothes while other people are discussing which elbow pads are best, taking a well made rifle out of it's case, while other people are attaching useless tat to their picatinny rails, laying down some rounds and shooting well, getting up and going home with minimum of hassle and fuss.

Edited to add:

I don't really understand the obsession in the gun World of slagging off other people and the kit they choose to use. If I take up a sport and I decide I want to wear a bright pink hat and attach bells to my knob while taking part then I shall do just that. As long as it remains between the lines of common decency, safety and the rules of the sport, then game on.

Would it be better if all the so called range mongs just packed up and stopped taking part altogether, so that the select few who have decided their own kit is gucci as fcuk, can play together and slap each other on the back about how much cash they have spent on their equipment?

• Like Like x 7
  4. Fok me Ravers i didn't know you could spell :D

5. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I can't.

Mllllllaaaaaarrrrr.

6. A beautiful summary there, Ravers!

• Like Like x 1
  7. I've just noticed that my ally/mong list basically comes down to: does it work well or not? And is it walty (e.g. assault vests) or not?

8. Rocking up to the British air rifle nationals at Bisley with a £2,000 Feinwerkbau, shooting jacket and trousers, glove, match grade pellets, then standing on the next lane to Ms. CC and spraying lead all over the end of the range including such marksmanship feats as cross-firing, hitting the woodwork surrounding the electronic scorer AND 'accidentally' shooting off of his rest to score a 3? All while trying to spark up conversation on the point?

MONG!

9. Range Ally is turning up with a rust encrusted remmie mounted on a dog chewed broken carbon-fiber stock all held together with fencing wire and 4 inch nails, mount a bent fogged-up nikko crap-glass thats jammed on mag 9, dont forget to stick the guccie toilet roll tube on it as a sun visor.
    after dragging out of the boot of the beaten-up holden V8, hold-up the shoot for a few mins while you have to get the bolt in with a good kick, then proceed to throw the cheapest mix of surplus mil crap ammo you can buy/beg/twok down range, tracer works best for distracting the other competitors.
    fitting a highly efficient muzzle-brake that projects the blast sideways is a must, nothing puts off the shooters beside you better.
    allways burp and fart a lot and dont forget to mumble to yourself constantly and loudly about the impending divorce and 'that bitch'.
    Double Ally points for stopping half-way through your serial to have a quick throw-up behind the mound before resuming the rest of your shots ( from the dodgy brekkie of cource, nothing to do with all the burbon sculled the night before ).
    not that I have ever done anything like this of cource.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ah yes the still drunk GPMG serial where your head hurts so much that you leave your beret on the fig 11 and collect it when pasting up next time!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. LOL, I certainly know of a couple of individuals firing GPMG in comp (cant remember if it was one of the section shoots) after a night on the sauce. By the 400m point the GPMG butt had been barfed on by both individuals. Think they won too.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'm sure that made me the section 84 man, I didnt get off the zero range during the whole ARU.

13. You've never had the full Bisley experience unless you have thrown up on or behind the firing point in the middle of your detail and then returned to finish the shoot.

Not that I would have... oh, wait...

14. I usually manage to do it outside Crawford cabins around 3.00 or 4.00am!

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I used to RCO sat in a still drunken fog in a deck chair on the point unable to move!