Random question - Helicopter Landing Sites

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Sympathetic_Reaction, Jul 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Hiya all,

Am looking to join my local Moutain Rescue Team and am thinking I should brush up on my Helicopter marshalling and landing site selection info (it's a good few years since I did it last). I can remember small chunks but I'm wondering if anything has changed recently and if anyone could point me at a site which might help me awake the little grey cells.

Thanks

S_R

2. Marshalling signals

This is a start. Most are similar to what we use.

I suggest getting in touch with someone who is LPC/HHI qualified or Rigger marshaller types. JATE(U) is the best official bet as they will give you the current signals.

Don't ask a pilot, we ignore marshalling signals most of the time anyway. :roll:

3. There is an excellent book on MRT service which covers this and all the MRT standards. It's written by the the Scottish MR Association. I bought it in George Fischer in keswick and will PM you the details

4. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I've got a contact in JATE(U) I could ask, but he's a Loadmaster so probably less useful than you pilots..;)

r.sole info on that book would be great, there is a bit of a Q for the team so might be a while before i get started, might as well read up on it.

S_R

5. Erm.....If your joining an English or Welsh team maybe a better idea is to get a copy of The MRC handbook

Its not that the Scottish do anything different, Other than deep frying mars bars and nudging turps......