Random concertina/barbed wire question.

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by Sympathetic_Reaction, Jun 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Random question for all you defence laying experts.

I was asked in work what the process is for laying concertina wire by vehicle.

The person asking didn't know if it was concertina wire specifically, or coiled barbed wire/generic nasty stuff with spikes on.

I've only been involved in doing it by hand, I was wondering if people here could enlighten me as to whether there is a vehicle laying method and what it involves (apart from sticking a coil on the back of a wagon and driving off very fast).

2. bouncing the shitty stuff out & lifting it into place is all i have ever done, sorry.
  3. As above, just bounce it out the back but usually just get lumbered with it to do it by hand with the worlds largest ill fitting gloves
  4. or when you were a SPROG no gloves. ouch-ouch-ouch
  5. Could you do it from the back of a wagon?? 8O I always thought the idea of bouncing it out was to get all the bits that were stuck together unstuck. You couldnt do that from the back of a moving wagon without getting pulled off the wagon into the wire. Ive only ever done it by hand as well.
  6. S_R,

As the wedgeheads here have said, there isn't really a way for doing this out of a vehicle, as the poxy stuff sticks together too much. But (engaging geek mode), I'm sure that there'll be a proprietary fencing product on the market somewhere that'll be a bit closer to the mark. Who wants to know and why?

7. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Thanks for the replies everyone, glad to see I wasn't totally off the mark.

8. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

9. quite smart really....until you need to bang a few pickets in to hold it all down....but not bad if you're in a rush to stop some hippies causing mayhem :twisted:
  10. I'm sure you can only lay barbed wire by hand.
  11. Laying barbed wire by hand?

Oh God no... I have a man who does that for me... well... quite a few men who do that for me....

That Septic layer looks like a nice idea. Fek all use in 99% of the locations we get asked to drop a concertina or 50, but it looks like a nice idea...
  12. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

I agree, it looks great for laying concertina on a football pitch or equally flat wide place but then I dont think it is trying to be all things to all men, just shows what can be done with a bit of thinking though.

Although it looks US the company in the link is from Brum, perhaps they licence it
  13. But what do the Septics use wire for? Making a huge perimeter around places like Menwith Hill or Fylingdales, to keep the hippies out. Menwith Hill has about 20,000km of razor wire protecting it from those dangerous lefties, so they probably need some way of laying it quickly.