Random acts of kindness

When I first left the Army I was working near Southampton but my kids lived near Manchester. I was on the M6 when the water hose on my car went. I was flat broke, no RAC, no suitable tools to sort it and on the hard shoulder. Nothing but hassle and a huge towing fee in my future. Just as I was about to set out for the emergency phone a works van pulled in front of me and a Scouser jumped out and started telling me just how miserable my situation was. Then he said "Never mind - I'll give you a tow" He took me to the next junction and then to the car park of a Halfords. All the while I'm bracing myself for the inevitable "fee" but he wanted nothing - not even a thankyou call to his boss in case it got him into trouble. What a star.

PS. He said he was ex-Navy so just on the off-chance you're reading this: Thanks mate.

dan_brown

War Hero
Had a RAK only this year!

Travelling from Scotland in a VW Transporter with kids and inlaws when i see blue lights in the rear view mirror - i move over a little to let them pass and put the VW into an emergency braking lane - well and truly stuck :(

Wife whining at me and inlaws grumbling, but to top it off, i saw the cop car go around the roundabout and back up the other side of the carriageway - as they drew close i could see them pointing and laughing at us - *******!

We tried rocking it out, but the clutch was starting to burn and i was only digging myself deeper. As i was about to phone recovery a taxi pulled up behind us and some jock starts barking orders, "everyone out, you drive, you push". And my lad and the driver are giving it hell for leather and out the van pops!!

By the time i'd pulled over, he was back in his taxi and was off - i couldn't give him some £ for his help or even a thank you. But he definitely saved my ass!

Johned

War Hero
Had a RAK only this year!

Travelling from Scotland in a VW Transporter with kids and inlaws when i see blue lights in the rear view mirror - i move over a little to let them pass and put the VW into an emergency braking lane - well and truly stuck :(

Wife whining at me and inlaws grumbling, but to top it off, i saw the cop car go around the roundabout and back up the other side of the carriageway - as they drew close i could see them pointing and laughing at us - *******!

We tried rocking it out, but the clutch was starting to burn and i was only digging myself deeper. As i was about to phone recovery a taxi pulled up behind us and some jock starts barking orders, "everyone out, you drive, you push". And my lad and the driver are giving it hell for leather and out the van pops!!

By the time i'd pulled over, he was back in his taxi and was off - i couldn't give him some £ for his help or even a thank you. But he definitely saved my ass!
Many years ago on a freezing cold snowy Friday evening, I was Westbound on the A47 heading for Leicester station to pick up my eldest son coming on leave from Chepstow Apps College. Just after Uppingham, the car started to skid, the wheels wouldn't grip and I stalled. A huge Scania artic behind, tried to pass and hit loose snow, the outline of the road being indistinguishable from the whitened countryside. Unbelievably and like a wounded elephant, the Scania rolled over onto it's side. After a lull the passenger door opened upward and a huge driver managed to alight. Snugly in the warmth of his semi, he was clad in only a tee shirt and shorts but was a huge chap rippling with muscles. "You dozy nitheaded b----r; why'd you stop? Look what you made me do!" said he pointing at his sad looking rig. Abruptly and suddenly his mood changed and he shouted "OK mate at least let's get you going!" and putting his frame to the back of the car, pushed me along far enough to gain traction and I managed to get going. What a star he turned out to be!

Two simple and easy to remember life lessons that have pretty much kept me out of worlds of crap, pain, financial loss and general grief:

1. Try not to be a dick.

2. Do one unplanned act of kindness that will make any person's day at least slightly better as a result of your actions.

Passed on to my children at an early age as well as my brothers - all doing alright thus far.
If I can help I do . Always .
The number of people who Stand/ walk /drive/ride by astounds and annoys me .
Picked up a guy pushing a motorbike in the pouring rain and dead of night in Isle of Wight .we somehow got it my transit and I drove him 6 miles home.
A token gesture to the many who have saved my arse Over the years.

Two simple and easy to remember life lessons that have pretty much kept me out of worlds of crap, pain, financial loss and general grief:

1. Try not to be a dick.

2. Do one unplanned act of kindness that will make any person's day at least slightly better as a result of your actions.

Passed on to my children at an early age as well as my brothers - all doing alright thus far.
Its's sometimes difficult to abide by the first instruction, particularly when feeling aggrieved* (*self-pitying, really), but well worth the effort, particularly if one's engaged in a discussion/argument which you feel is yours by right of Truth and Honesty or somesuch. Ask any twitterer or SJW. It's certainly something I try to avoid here on ARRSE, but there are some who feel the need...

Planned or unplanned? Both are good.

Right, back to sending abusive, mean and nasty PM, and sarky comments in the Times.