RAMC Plt Sgts at Sandhurst-any mileage?

Ventress

LE
I have seen numerous Cpl's and Sgt's (RAMC) attempt to get to RMAS as an instructor, most get as far as the Sqn OC's office who tell them they are not up to it. (Probably as they are an ex- Infantry CSM)

How does the RAMC Sgt get the knowlegde to instruct and run a Plt at Sandhurst, without being in the Teeth Arms?

Good idea.  I have certainly known of an ex-WRAC/RLC driver go to RMAS.  Having worked with her I know as many RAMC SNCO's (all CMT's) who have all the same qualities and experience.

Ventress

LE
I know the SSgt RLC, now WO2 who was Plt SSgt to a Female platoon. I believe.

I am afraid like I said the RAMC Sgt doesn't have the base knowledge- the RLC and other Corps promotion courses have Infantry skills developed through them. Unlike the RAMC "Turn up and pass fiasco" called a JM and SMQC the RAMC so love.

Even the hardened RAMC Cpl, "Oh Ive had 2 years with the 2nd Foot and Mouth" does not have that apprenticeship of 2ic sect to 2ic Plt to Plt Sgt where they nuture a RMAS Plt Comd.

I believe it was the case that she had female platoons (she appeared in that awful  TV documentary Guns and Roses) however, the only time I saw her in action at Sandhurst for real she was giving a bunch of male cadets a fcukin' hard time.  Good to see though!  Also glad to hear she is a WO2 now.  Will make a good LE, perhaps even in the RAMC?

With regard to the required experience, RMAS lay down quite strict criteria including All Arms Drill Instructor and at least Junior Breacon (possibly Senior?).

There have certainly been many non-infantry SSgts at RMAS. To get a good quality RAMC SNCO would be a huge boost to selling the MSO cadre as a choice!

Ventress

LE
Lucky we have a quality Sgt in the Medical Centre who tries' pushing water up hill'- when he talks to cadets who have little or no idea what a MSO is or does.

If its the same Sgt who was there at the beginning of last year, then he's a top quality individual! He was the best Cpl in 19 Fd Ambulance in 99!

Ventress

LE
Dont tell him that, he may think he's good! Taught him all he knows, in his Nig days at 3 Armd Fd Amb! (To me he will always be a nig! And Chelsea were lucky Bratwurst!)

8)

Thanks very much gents for those flattering words!

I am of the opinion that it may be some time before we see RAMC staff as DS at sandhurst. It is a shame that the Corps will not have reps here in the near future especially as there are outstanding individuals out there who could compete equally with the quality SNCO's at Sandhurst (one of which, redcross rupert knows very well from Colchester).

Bloody Hell!  I can not believe what I am reading dudes.  I know a number of full-screws SNCO's who could instruct at sandhurst.  No I'm not mad, one has just gone down to Winchester as Plt Sgt.  Having just left Lichfield (one of the last left) There was couple of Cpls who are thinking about it.  You will need to do Senior Brecon and a carde at sandhurst to see if you are suitable.  However some of these people have done this already!!!!!!  If you are thinking of it you should go to the new depot as an instructor first, that will give you all the other courses you need.  I mean come on, don't slag us of when 10 people went from Lichfield last year to do the hardest course of them all,  only one of them is living the James bond life now..... he was RAMC (First in 17 years)  The problem is, don't talk about it, do it!

Ventress

LE
If you mean he joined the SAS from the RAMC then he's done it covert; as it hasn't been common knowledge- but then again you wouldn't expect to be front page news in the Corps mag! And there hasn't been a RAMC soldier get SAS Capbadged in about 27 years.

Your point on instructors at ATR Lichfield/ Winchester- it differs from teaching  soldier recruits to officer recruits. My previous points are even the best RAMC, even our beloved Sky-Gods do not have the basic base infantry knowledge to teach at RMAS. You ask any Infantry Inst at RMAS and they will hoot with laughter to even suggest a RAMC Inst. Though, maybe the SAS bloke might want come and give the cadre a go!

The individual in question has indeed been badged since January and is as we speak in more sandy climates.  Having served with him at an ATR, I can vouch that both he and myself would be more than capable of instructing any individual whether recruit or potential officer- if only our beloved corps would put people who enjoy (and are rather good at) instructing into the postings which would allow us to use our qualifications which we worked bloody hard to get!!

Ventress

LE
I am sure I now know the individual, an ex-infantryman. He therefore has a Infantry pedigree unlike an original 'medic' who trained at Keogh or Litchfield; got posted to his Fd Amb then Med Cen then maybe a tour with a teeth Arm. So my point is still valid, an original capbadged RAMC soldier doesn't have the basic Infantry skills to teach at RMAS- If they did there would be one or two, like the RLC and RE etc.

unfortunately not Qman this person is AMS through and through.  He has just got off his arrse and made the doubters eat their hats ::)