RAMC Plt Sgts at Sandhurst-any mileage?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Ventress, Feb 28, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I have seen numerous Cpl's and Sgt's (RAMC) attempt to get to RMAS as an instructor, most get as far as the Sqn OC's office who tell them they are not up to it. (Probably as they are an ex- Infantry CSM)

How does the RAMC Sgt get the knowlegde to instruct and run a Plt at Sandhurst, without being in the Teeth Arms?
  2. Good idea.  I have certainly known of an ex-WRAC/RLC driver go to RMAS.  Having worked with her I know as many RAMC SNCO's (all CMT's) who have all the same qualities and experience.
  3. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I know the SSgt RLC, now WO2 who was Plt SSgt to a Female platoon. I believe.

I am afraid like I said the RAMC Sgt doesn't have the base knowledge- the RLC and other Corps promotion courses have Infantry skills developed through them. Unlike the RAMC "Turn up and pass fiasco" called a JM and SMQC the RAMC so love.

Even the hardened RAMC Cpl, "Oh Ive had 2 years with the 2nd Foot and Mouth" does not have that apprenticeship of 2ic sect to 2ic Plt to Plt Sgt where they nuture a RMAS Plt Comd.
  4. I believe it was the case that she had female platoons (she appeared in that awful  TV documentary Guns and Roses) however, the only time I saw her in action at Sandhurst for real she was giving a bunch of male cadets a fcukin' hard time.  Good to see though!  Also glad to hear she is a WO2 now.  Will make a good LE, perhaps even in the RAMC?
  5. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I am sure the AMS would welcome her with open arms.
  6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

7. With regard to the required experience, RMAS lay down quite strict criteria including All Arms Drill Instructor and at least Junior Breacon (possibly Senior?).

There have certainly been many non-infantry SSgts at RMAS. To get a good quality RAMC SNCO would be a huge boost to selling the MSO cadre as a choice!
  8. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Lucky we have a quality Sgt in the Medical Centre who tries' pushing water up hill'- when he talks to cadets who have little or no idea what a MSO is or does.
  9. If its the same Sgt who was there at the beginning of last year, then he's a top quality individual! He was the best Cpl in 19 Fd Ambulance in 99!
  10. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Oh you know him then!
  11. I'd have him with me on operations anytime!
  12. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Dont tell him that, he may think he's good! Taught him all he knows, in his Nig days at 3 Armd Fd Amb! (To me he will always be a nig! And Chelsea were lucky Bratwurst!)
  13. 8)

Thanks very much gents for those flattering words!

I am of the opinion that it may be some time before we see RAMC staff as DS at sandhurst. It is a shame that the Corps will not have reps here in the near future especially as there are outstanding individuals out there who could compete equally with the quality SNCO's at Sandhurst (one of which, redcross rupert knows very well from Colchester).
  14. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

A quality individual at Colchester?- I doubt it!

Glad you voted in the 'best officer' poll!
  15. Bloody Hell!  I can not believe what I am reading dudes.  I know a number of full-screws SNCO's who could instruct at sandhurst.  No I'm not mad, one has just gone down to Winchester as Plt Sgt.  Having just left Lichfield (one of the last left) There was couple of Cpls who are thinking about it.  You will need to do Senior Brecon and a carde at sandhurst to see if you are suitable.  However some of these people have done this already!!!!!!  If you are thinking of it you should go to the new depot as an instructor first, that will give you all the other courses you need.  I mean come on, don't slag us of when 10 people went from Lichfield last year to do the hardest course of them all,  only one of them is living the James bond life now..... he was RAMC (First in 17 years)  The problem is, don't talk about it, do it!