RAMC Medical Officer + Colour Blindness

I've just finished my 3 year BSc degree and am starting medical school in september this year. I'm hoping to join the RAMC if they'll take me either at the bursary stage or as a graduate.

I have a minor(ish) form of hereditary colour blindness (deuteranomaly) which effects my vision principally in the blue/purple/pink region. In essence I would describe purple as either navy blue or dark pink, although I can see it as a disctinct colour. Otherwise my vision seems relatively normal. I have every confidence in my ability to differentiate between colours and am quite certain I will not struggle.

Is this likely to be a roadblock to joining the RAMC? I'm assuming if the army won't have me the RAF won't touch me with a barge pole. Any ideas what the RN visual requirements are?

I expect by the time I apply I may require glasses (seperate from my colourblindness, just due to ageing), is this likely to be a problem?

Thanks very much for your help.

PDFs of the visual standards for each service (only the RN and RAF list trades available, though):

Royal Navy
Army
RAF

As far as I'm aware, all three services permit CP4 for scablifters, so unless you have monochromatism you will be fine.

TabulaRasa said:
I have a minor(ish) form of hereditary colour blindness (deuteranomaly) which effects my vision principally in the blue/purple/pink region. In essence I would describe purple as either navy blue or dark pink, although I can see it as a disctinct colour. Otherwise my vision seems relatively normal. I have every confidence in my ability to differentiate between colours and am quite certain I will not struggle.
Why don't you just start calling that colour you see as navy blue / dark pink "purple". Then you'll be fine.

Latest Threads