RAMC Medical Officer + Colour Blindness

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by TabulaRasa, Apr 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just finished my 3 year BSc degree and am starting medical school in september this year. I'm hoping to join the RAMC if they'll take me either at the bursary stage or as a graduate.

I have a minor(ish) form of hereditary colour blindness (deuteranomaly) which effects my vision principally in the blue/purple/pink region. In essence I would describe purple as either navy blue or dark pink, although I can see it as a disctinct colour. Otherwise my vision seems relatively normal. I have every confidence in my ability to differentiate between colours and am quite certain I will not struggle.

Is this likely to be a roadblock to joining the RAMC? I'm assuming if the army won't have me the RAF won't touch me with a barge pole. Any ideas what the RN visual requirements are?

I expect by the time I apply I may require glasses (seperate from my colourblindness, just due to ageing), is this likely to be a problem?

Thanks very much for your help.

2. PDFs of the visual standards for each service (only the RN and RAF list trades available, though):

Royal Navy
    Army
    RAF

As far as I'm aware, all three services permit CP4 for scablifters, so unless you have monochromatism you will be fine.

3. Why don't you just start calling that colour you see as navy blue / dark pink "purple". Then you'll be fine.

4. It's actually the other way around. Dunno about colour blindness though. :D