RAMC CMT

Afternoon,

Can anyone give me a bit of insight into the role of reserve medic progression etc?

I’ve been out of green for some time and considering giving it a crack of the whip to rejoin the reserves at my local med sqn since I work for the ambo service it made sense.

I have trawled the forums and what is here seems to be quite old.

Ideally looking to learn a little about what I can expect in the way training. scope of practice. My understanding is it’s along the lines of some weekends and a few weeks standard training followed by trade which would be a CMT 3 course?

It’s then my understanding that it would be a year before CMT 2 then 1.

Is there anything in the way of civilian recognised training?

Any information is good information. Going for a meeting with the local unit in a few days so can no doubt ask some of these questions but would be interesting to hear the spiel from someone who isn’t a recruiter.

Depends how long you've been out, best ot speak to your local unit so I'm sure they'll give better answers than anyone here.

I expect they may also have a way to convert your civvie qualifications or make it easier for you jump through a few hoops.

Snapper 25

Clanker
Unless your joining a ramc unit, or you need the qualifications to pursue a civi medical career. I would think twice about being a medic. All you ever do on exercise is sit about waiting with not a lot to do.
You won't get much meaningful training unless you get lucky and join a unit with a good med element.

Afternoon,

Can anyone give me a bit of insight into the role of reserve medic progression etc?

I’ve been out of green for some time and considering giving it a crack of the whip to rejoin the reserves at my local med sqn since I work for the ambo service it made sense.

I have trawled the forums and what is here seems to be quite old.

Ideally looking to learn a little about what I can expect in the way training. scope of practice. My understanding is it’s along the lines of some weekends and a few weeks standard training followed by trade which would be a CMT 3 course?

It’s then my understanding that it would be a year before CMT 2 then 1.

Is there anything in the way of civilian recognised training?

Any information is good information. Going for a meeting with the local unit in a few days so can no doubt ask some of these questions but would be interesting to hear the spiel from someone who isn’t a recruiter.
Unless you work as a paramedic or in another medically based role as a civilian it’s extremely difficult/impossible to get CMT1 as a reservist now because you won’t do the clinical hours required to retain currency.

The pathway to CMT 2 is as you describe.

I’m full time ambulance service so assuming the skills stack up against the day job hours shouldn’t be an issue.

Next step for me in the day job is likely a technician roll (I’m currently an ECA) fingers crossed onto para in the next 4/5 years

Not in a huge rush on either side just looking to know what I’m getting myself into.

Latest Threads