RAMC cap badge history

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by miffsmith, Jan 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just joined the RAMC and need to find some info on the cap badge... stuff like why is there a snake pole dancing on the badge etc etc
    please help if you know
    many thanks
  2. The snake and pole is a caduceus. A caduceus (kerykeion in Greek) is a staff with two snakes wrapped around it. It was an ancient astrological symbol of commerce and is associated with the Greek god Hermes, the messenger for the gods, astrologer, healer, and creator of magical incantations, conductor of the dead and protector of merchants and thieves. It was originally a herald's staff, sometimes with wings, with two white ribbons attached. The ribbons eventually evolved into snakes in the figure-eight shape. The number eight is important to the practicioners of judicial astrology.

In the seventh century, the caduceus came to be associated with a precursor of medicine. Based on the Hermetic astrological principles of using the planets and stars to heal the sick. The caduceus is used interchangeably with the Rod of Asclepius, especially in the United States. Historically, the two astrological symbols had distinct meanings in alchemical and astrological principles. Occasionally the caduceus may be combined with a DNA double-helix, which the intertwined snakes coincidentally resemble.

However, the RAMC badge consists of the rod and serpent of Aesculapius, the Greek God of medicine.

The motto "In Arduis Fidelis" means "Faithful in Adversity".

Hope this helps.

3. Try this

4. Please note not a scab lifter

I always thought that that was what was on the capbadge, I remember doing Medical History and distincly remember being taught about the Greek god Asclepius (or was that the Roman version of the grek god ?) and his temples being the first hospitals (I think the name Hospital is a translation of his temple) and that faithfull would sleep there (paying for the privalige of course) and Asclepius would arrive in one of 2 forms, and old man with aa staff or a snake. he would then wander amoungst the sick tapping with his rod or slithering over the patients and they would be healed. I remember the first time I saw an RAMC capbadge thinking "I wonder if its associated with ....."

Please forgive for any mistakes as I left school in 85 and didn't google it.

I would also like to say its good to see a young lad/ette take the time to learn a bit of regimental history, so many regrs and corps are slacking in this area

oh and BTW, don't belive what they tell you, your lot DON'T have the most VC's cheers

5. Wahey thanks for that seems I was pretty much on target, escept its Aesculapius, oh well whats in a little bit of poor spelling
  6. "oh and BTW, don't belive what they tell you, your lot DON'T have the most VC's cheers"

Certainly got the most double winners though!
  7. They do have the most VC and Bar.
  8. :wink: Give you that one
  9. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

True the RE and RA have more than us, but 3rd aint bad. (I dont include all the Inf amalgamations which give them 100 each)
  10. Dont the RAMC also have the youngest VC winner ?
  11. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Apprentice Fitzgibbon was about 15, but served in the Indian Medical Services.

On 21 August 1860 at the capture of the Northern of the Taku Forts, China, Hospital Apprentice Fitzgibbon accompanied a wing of the 67th Regiment when it took up a position within 500 yards of the fort. He then proceeded, under heavy fire, to attend a dhoolie-bearer, whose wound he had been directed to bind up, and while the regiment was advancing under the enemy's fire, he ran across the open ground to attend to another wounded man. In doing so he was himself severely wounded. Following Andrew Fitzgibbon's death on 7th March 1883 in Delhi, India, it is believed his Victoria Cross was buried with him in Delhi's Old Military Cemetery. His grave is not marked and there is no indication that a headstone ever existed. ( Fitzgibbon's VC action took place at the Taku Forts, China, on 21 August 1860 )
  12. You're presumably a member of Fitzgibbon troop then Venty :D :wink:
  13. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

We may have shared the odd Reggie Bath!
  14. also got an Iron cross and VC to the same blokey...... dont know who though just read it somewere