RAMC boxing.

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by ShooterMcGannon, May 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A question that has never been answered with any degree of satisfaction for me is can members of the RAMC or medics in general box? Be it squadron/regimental level or higher I have heard it said that due to Geneva convention rules Medics hold the same status as padres etc. as non-combatants and are therefore not allowed to box... If so does this apply to all martial arts?

2. Probably should have put this in the boxing thread :/
    apologies.

3. The geneva convention bans boxing, but overlooks sparring with headguard so you should be ok unless you go professional.

Alternatively you could do mixed martial arts. This is a young sport and hasn't yet caught the attention of those peskie war dodgers...although after this little incident OOPS it won't be long before this is also banned

4. Can't understand that. Anyone seen that in writing?

5. I have heard it said on a few occasions as a reason why members of the AMS can't box, but I have never actually SEEN it.

6. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Don't see why your capbadge should have any say in you taking part in a perfectly legitimate sport. And what would the GC have to do with boxing?

7. RAMC are not non-combatant, only the RAChD are.

8. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Personally I think thats complete bollocks.

9. Are you sure? :?

10. Well that's been my feeling on the whole situation for quite some time, having not found any regs/information to support it either way.

11. The RAChD have a very strong boxing squad, its the RADC who have a blanket ban on Boxing, thats because they spend too much time repairing the damage, plus they got sick of doing gumshield impressions

I'm not sure where you're getting your info from but its a bit mixed up. Go back to your AFCO they have all the current info. Don't get side tracked into joining the paras though, they do milling which doesn't really count as a sport never mind a combat sport

12. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

The only time I have seen the AMS box officially was 3 Armd Fd Amb in about 1992, they were coached by an ex-Para TFI Sgt, who honed them into a decent team, they boxed in the BAOR Minor Units and did quite well if I recall.

Someone bought up the GC bollox at the time but to no avail, the AMS never box as it wasnt one of the things we did. Far more happy with rugby and poofball. If someone is out there willing to put time in with the lads and lasses then they will box!

13. I believe Phil Rice at 5 Armd used to box, will asked on another forum. But I don't think RAMC are banned, just not good at it. There was also a guy at 23 in the 80's as well.

If in doubt, give the Army Sports Council (or the equivalent now) a bell.

CTC

14. Boxing is not officially encouraged by the RAMC because of the possibility of serious injury. That is that the RAMC do not have a Corps Boxing Team and don't endorse inter-unit boxing, they don't ban it though, just discourage it.
    At 16 we regularly used to have boxing bouts although it was more akin to milling than the noble art as envisaged by the Marquis of Queensberry!
    I'm told that prior to the RAMC stance of non support the RAMC had quite a fearsome reputation for it's boxers.
    The Geneva Convention classes medics as protected personnel but that doesn't mean protected from a good right hook.

15. I certainly remember a boxing shield on the wall of the sports bar (The huts) at Keogh. (Many a good after match piss up in there) Not sure if it was RAMC units or an Army units one, but it was between the 50's-late- 60's.

CTC