• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

RAMC Beret question

Can any of the old and bold help me out here?

My father-in-law is now an OAP, but did national service as a PTI with the RAMC. He maintains that they used to wear a maroon beret back in those days. Might it have matched that gorgeous RAMC pullover?

Is he walting, or is there some grain of truth in this??

FieldDiscipline said:
Was he airborne?
I've been down that road and it does not sound like he was. He was at an RAMC training establishment.

I believe back before WW2 the RAMC berret was maroon before it was gifted unto the blue badged heroes, hence why the backing of the RAMC cap badge is maroon.

Can't find you a source, but I do recall being told that.

Chalky said:
I believe back before WW2 the RAMC berret was maroon before it was gifted unto the blue badged heroes, hence why the backing of the RAMC cap badge is maroon.

Can't find you a source, but I do recall being told that.
I've often been told that the cherry-coloured backing to RAMC beret badges are a recognition of the number of VCs.

FieldDiscipline said:
Do the RAMC have a museum?
Keogh Barracks. I dont recall anything about us having a maroon beret, but speak to the AMS museam and they should be able to tell you

drain_sniffer said:
FieldDiscipline said:
Keogh Barracks. I dont recall anything about us having a maroon beret, but speak to the AMS museam and they should be able to tell you

Contact Capt Pete Starling there.

Thanks Guys, I'll drop them a line in the morning.

cheers

Subb

Ventress said:
FieldDiscipline said:
Yes, it the one full of VC's.
And the bear that takes up most of the foyer. :D

Chalky said:
mad_mac said:
Ventress said:
FieldDiscipline said:
There's a bear? I saw no bear. I demand a bear!
Hope the bears still there. We had a lot of fun back in the eighties :twisted:

The bear is not in the Museum. It is, however, an excellent place for a visit. An injection of Lottery cash (see? It's does do some useful things!) allowed the curator and his team to turn it into a what, considering its size, is a really excellent museum.

I, too, have heard the story about the maroon. Originally, it was the colour of the RAMC until the Parachute Regiment was formed and they laid claim to the colour. The RAMC still retains the maroon in the beret badge backing, the wooly pully and the accent colour on our Mess Kit (making it one of the smartest kits in the Army, IMO). I understood that members of the RAMC wore maroon berets for about three years before the PARAs nicked them.

IF

IdeasFactory said:
The bear is not in the Museum. It is, however, an excellent place for a visit. An injection of Lottery cash (see? It's does do some useful things!) allowed the curator and his team to turn it into a what, considering its size, is a really excellent museum.

I, too, have heard the story about the maroon. Originally, it was the colour of the RAMC until the Parachute Regiment was formed and they laid claim to the colour. The RAMC still retains the maroon in the beret badge backing, the wooly pully and the accent colour on our Mess Kit (making it one of the smartest kits in the Army, IMO). I understood that members of the RAMC wore maroon berets for about three years before the PARAs nicked them.

IF
yep, I was told that too in THE DEPOT during basics

Ventress said:
mad_mac said:
Chalky said:
mad_mac said:
Ventress said:
FieldDiscipline said:
There's a bear? I saw no bear. I demand a bear!
Hope the bears still there. We had a lot of fun back in the eighties :twisted:
I think the bear is still receiving counselling.
I can honestly say that it was a well stuffed bear :twisted: :twisted:

Chalky Wrote:

I think you will find that the above statement is just a complete myth and should be quashed here and now, we await confirmation from the Corps Museum !

Maroon beret ?

Firstly the colour is DULL CHERRY and please remember and be proud of it :x

I know this thread is about berets and backings, but I've had a real good butcher's on t'internet to try and find out something about these maroon (or should that be dull cherry?) wooly pullies the RAMC is supposed to have worn. I served in the RAMC from 1966 to 1972 and I never, ever saw anybody in the Corps with such a maroon/dull cherry pullover. So did this go down before my time or after? Or was it reserved for special occasions?

MsG